Mourning Mr. Rogers

  • ncxds
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2003
      They announced this morning that Mister Rogers (Fred Rogers) from PBS
      TV fame (USA Public Television for you internationals) died this
      morning of stomach cancer at 74.

      When I finally had time to think about it, I actually started crying!!
      (actually sobbing -- for at least an hour!!) I remember watching him
      when I was very little. He even taught me to tie my shoes!!!

      I started questioning my strong reaction to the death of a celeberity
      that I had never met. Then I realized that he was no mere celebrity.
      He was probably the ONLY strong, positive male influence that I had at
      that age (4-7).

      My father was a total jerk and though he was physically there (at
      least until the divorce when I was 8) he was emotionally absent.

      I remember watching "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" and seeing this man,
      this sweet and kind man, and realized that *this* is what a father
      SHOULD be like.

      When I was in kindergarten and getting pressured by my teacher to
      learn to tie my own shoes (no such thing as velcro back then!) I got
      frustrated. Then, when watching his show, Mr. Rogers entered his TV
      "home" and put on his sneakers like every episode, but this time, he
      offered to show us, the viewers, how to tie our own shoes. I was
      elated!! Someone was finally going to show me!! My mother was busy
      taking care of the family and working nights and my two older sibs had
      no patience to take care of teaching younger brother. Mr. Rogers very
      carefully, patiently and lovingly explained the process. I understood
      his teaching and I GOT IT!!

      So... Why am I mourning him now??? I believe that he was the father I
      never really had. A lone positive male influence on my life in the
      midst of neglect and abuse by my own father. Mr. Rogers very lovingly
      and patiently explained the world to his young viewers, teaching them
      self-esteem -- that we are all special, all worthwhile. It was a
      message that I desparately needed to hear at the time, and a message I
      shall never forget!!

      Fred Rogers was an ordained minister. Though he never "preached" on
      the air, he certainly displayed God's love thoughout his program.

      I am certain that God must have wanted puppets and trolleys in
      heaven!!

      -- Alan
    • ebournejames <ebournejames@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
        Very interesting.
        Even though I am a UK citizen and therefore never seen this
        programme, your comments really speak to me.

        --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, ncxds <no_reply@y...>