Psichologists

  • buddydavid2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      i didnt know most psichologists were gay affirmative. it's hard to
      find a good one, one who really wants to help you. You know,
      sometimes ssa is accompanied by depression, and all they want to do
      is to give you medication. is sadness a physical condition?
    • Halfpenny
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        Buddy:
        It is and it isn't. I'm not a psych, but I've studied enough to realize that depression is sometimes caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. And when it isn't caused by it, the depression can over time cause an imbalance. Medication can be a valid part of a whole-person approach to emotional problems, but in my opinion it should rarely be the whole treatment.
        Joe
        buddydavid2002 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:i didnt know most psichologists were gay affirmative. it's hard to
        find a good one, one who really wants to help you. You know,
        sometimes ssa is accompanied by depression, and all they want to do
        is to give you medication. is sadness a physical condition?

      • Matt Mercer
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
          Hello,.

          I am not a clinical psychologist, but I do have a masters
          degree in Psychology. There are basically two routes that one can go
          with depression: actually three:

          First, those who are of the biblical counseling persuasion camp, would
          say that depression, unless organically caused, is by choice. Sinful
          choices, lead to depression, or anxiety, which is called sin, etc.

          Second, is brief therapy [10 or less sessions] which is based on
          cognitive-behavioral therapy. For some people, this works, and, can be
          done through any licensed mental health counselor. A book that a
          colleague of mine uses is: The Feeling Good Handbook, by David D Burns,
          MD. This is not an implied endorsement of the book. I have read parts
          of it, and, I can see value for some people. This book, or the brief
          therapy, is not necessarily for all with depression issues.

          Third, Meds, prescribed by an MD-usually, a Psychiatrist. Your own MD
          can prescribe, if he/she feels competent. There are two types"
          addictive and non-addictive meds for depression. I am not a MD, so I
          cannot pontificate on medications.

          Some people try one, two, or all three methods.

          Matt

          It is and it isn't. I'm not a psych, but I've studied enough to realize
          that depression is sometimes caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the
          brain. And when it isn't caused by it, the depression can over time
          cause an imbalance. Medication can be a valid part of a whole-person
          approach to emotional problems, but in my opinion it should rarely be
          the whole treatment.
          Joe
          buddydavid2002 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:i didnt know most
          psichologists were gay affirmative. it's hard to
          find a good one, one who really wants to help you. You know,
          sometimes ssa is accompanied by depression, and all they want to do
          is to give you medication. is sadness a physical condition?

          Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion List:
          <http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/exgaydiscussionboard> | Chat:
          <http://chat.yahoo.com/?club=exgaydiscussionboard>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor