Group Member Discount on Sexual Brokenness Resources

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2012
      Many of you have followed my posts from Signs of a Struggle
      <http://www.signsofastruggleblog.com/> over the past several years as
      we've walked together in the pursuit of purity and in the hope of
      wholeness regarding sexual brokenness, particularly pornography
      addiction and unwanted same-sex attraction. I've always appreciated the
      feedback on the blog posts and the interaction in the group. Many of the
      things you have written have blessed me greatly in my own walk.
      As summer moves on and we all walk forward in our desire to live in the
      truth and walk free in Christ, I wanted to make my books more easily
      available to you if you think they would be helpful for you or for
      someone you know. For members of the group, I'm offering both books for
      less than the retail price of one. If you click on the link below and
      order the books, they'll come straight from me, saving the costs of
      buying through Amazon or another outlet. In fact, if you want, I'll be
      glad to autograph them to you, which will give me an opportunity to
      further encourage you as my brother or sister in Christ. (Just be sure
      to put a note with your order so I know you want your books
      autographed.)
      If you click this link -- BridgeBack Ministries Books
      <http://www.bridgebackministries.org/books/> -- you can order
      Surviving Sexual Brokenness: What Grace Can Do and "Who Told You You
      Were Naked?" The Counterfeit Compassion of Culture for only $14 for
      both.
      Just to give you an idea of the books' general content, I'm also
      including here the introduction for Surviving Sexual Brokenness: What
      Grace Can Do." I hope you'll read it and perhaps be encouraged by it.
      In Him,
      Thom HunterSigns of a Struggle <http://www.signsofastruggleblog.com/>
      Surviving Sexual Brokenness: What Grace Can DoIntroduction
      While it's probably not a good thing to get too bogged down in the
      "who am I?" and the "who are you?" questions, they do
      come up in our minds every now and then. We can't help it.

      Who am I? Who are you? God only knows. But, thank God, God truly does
      know.

      It took me a long time to admit I was "sexually-broken." I knew
      from an early age that engaging in sexual activity with a person of the
      same sex was wrong. I knew it instinctively, but I also knew it
      spiritually. God's Word was clear on the issue. Still, it seemed
      impossible to resist and yielding to it cost me greatly. Only by
      accepting the fact that I was "broken," could I accept my need
      for repair, through a desire for holiness.

      My issue was homosexuality, but many Christians struggle with other
      forms of sexual brokenness: pornography addiction, lust, adultery,
      idolatry. What was meant for good – our sexuality – has been
      corrupted in many ways. Still, those of us who know Christ will always
      hope to replace our brokenness with wholeness though holiness. It is a
      survivable struggle.

      I was not always sexually broken.

      I was the little boy who sat on a sidewalk and watched the ants cross
      by, inches in front of my bare feet and wondered why they had so many to
      "be with." My father had left the family and we were
      splintered to the point of co-mingled solitude. God knew me in my
      aloneness.

      I was the second-grader zipped into a camping tent with a pedophile,
      innocent one in the hands of a not-so . . . being changed without my
      knowledge or consent and certainly in ways I could not understand. God
      knew me in my vulnerability.

      I was the shy middle-schooler envying the boys rising in popularity and
      athletic prowess, wondering why I am uncomfortable and so uncertain of
      self. God knew me in my awkwardness.

      I was the high-schooler anxious to move on beyond the presence of peers
      and the pressures of performance, but totally unsure as to what I was
      moving to. God knew me in my uncertainty.

      I was the college freshman exploring freedom, walking in the dark on a
      misty campus and accepting an invitation from a stranger into a new
      world that slyly presented itself as an answer to all my confusion. God
      knew me in my stumbling.

      I became the man hiding behind the man, developing the double-mind,
      fencing in the soul, projecting the persona, erecting the image,
      avoiding the reality, feeding the brokenness of the past so it could
      bleed into the present and project into the future. God knew me in my
      destructiveness.

      In the timeless view of God, I am all of those described above . . . but
      so much more. In God's expansive view of time . . . I am broken and
      whole, hurt and healed.

      The weight of who I am is not a burden to an omniscient loving God whose
      grace covers all.

      I am the man who is healing, rejecting society's claims of
      inevitability, shaking off judgment, refusing to surrender to
      others' genetic wishful thinking, accepting the reality of choice
      and embracing the simplicity of daily surrender . . . to the God who
      always knew me.

      What is man that You are mindful of him, the son of man that You care
      for him? -- Psalm 8:4

      We are who we are in part because of where we've been. In all those
      places, God was "mindful" of us. We hid; we paused; we ran; we
      rejected; we fell. Sometimes we ran to Him; sometimes we fell before
      Him; sometimes we cried out to Him; sometimes we pleaded with Him. In
      all ways, He is always "mindful."

      I am a husband and a father. I have five children who are: a business
      owner, a graduate student, an Army Ranger, a police officer, a college
      student. I have four daughters-in-law and six grandchildren. I have two
      dogs and five fish. I have a wife who has loved me from before "I
      do" and still does.

      I am all of the things I mentioned above: sometimes alone, sometimes
      vulnerable, sometimes awkward, sometimes uncertain, sometimes stumbling,
      and sometimes destructive. I am also healing; I am surrendering; I am
      changing. I am showing the signs of the struggle, which means I do not
      yield to brokenness as inevitable or final.

      Maybe you . . . or someone you love . . . is a bit like me, too-long
      bent beneath the weight of who we are, ready to let the God who bears
      all . . . bear us.

      It's tragic how many things in life we do for love and acceptance,
      and yet all that time we have Someone who loves us and accepts us from
      the moment we are conceived. It's sorrowful that we yearn for
      someone to really know us and yet we have always had Someone who has
      always known the very number of hairs on our head. It's sad that we
      want so not to be alone and we have always had Someone who said He would
      never leave us.

      When I look back - - - which it is getting easier to do – I
      understand much more clearly what use to be not so comforting.

      And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to
      those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. --
      Romans 8:28

      The truth is, if we believe that we can find our own way out
      of this wilderness of sin, we won't. It is in Christ alone. Still,
      Christ is not limited in His workings and can use anything or anyone He
      so chooses to bring the lost sheep back into the flock.

      I had done many things right and well. I married the woman
      I loved; I tried very hard to be a good father to my five children,
      though there is no doubt they were damaged by the deep secrets in my
      life . . . secrets kept from them in part to protect them and in part to
      feed my own personal misguided search to fill an emptiness only God can
      fill.

      I never abandoned church. I never turned my back on
      God's Word. I was not totally hopeless, but often futilely
      helpless.

      Just as my journey began in the hands of a twisted man who
      robbed me of my trust in all men . . . my journey's end began in the
      hands of men I learned to trust. These are men who fear God but were
      themselves fearless in the face of my confusion, caring enough to be a
      steady hand through my continued stumbling, rather than recoiling in
      horror as if I bore a sin of contagion. These men straight-forwardly
      helped me to right myself, presenting me with supportive accountability,
      not super-scriptural checklists. Through these relationships, I learned
      the power of compassionate truth from men who had ears to hear and
      hearts big enough to carry the burdens I finally unloaded. And they
      wanted nothing from me other than to see me walk steadily towards
      freedom.

      Myself long suspicious of God – particularly when told
      to view Him as Father – I began to experience God's love through
      people who approached me as God-with-skin-on, yielded to His purpose,
      enabled with the stamina it takes to walk faithfully at the side of one
      who had teetered so often on the edge.

      If we are willing, God brings rescuers into our lives. If
      we are willing, He can take us from the brink of disaster and call us to
      become rescuers ourselves. Those who have seen the pit know best where
      to place the warning signs to help others avoid the fall.

      I had a hard time believing that some of the things that happened to me
      - - - as well as some of the things I myself did - - - could possibly be
      used by God for any good purpose. Now I know better.

      I know there is always more going on than I can possibly understand, so
      I learned to stand on God's promises.

      God loves me even when I can't feel it.

      God is working in every moment even when I can't see it.

      God is changing me even when I don't understand it.

      God has always been there, no matter how rejected I felt by others, no
      matter how hard I was rejecting Him.

      When I was knit in my mother's womb . . . God was there.

      When my Dad drove away for the final time . . . God was there.

      When the scoutmaster crawled into my tent . . . God was there.

      When I married my best friend . . . God was there.

      When my children were born . . . God was there.

      When they turned away from me . . . God was there.

      When I was hurt . . . God was there.

      When I hurt others . . . God was there.

      When I was redeemed . . . God was there.

      When I fell . . . God was there.

      When I was restored . . . God was there.

      When I got up this morning . . . God was there.

      When I lay down this evening . . . God will be there.

      And when I ascend into heaven . . . God will be there too.

      There is no secret too buried . . . no past too dark . . . no confusion
      too deep . . . no sin too ugly . . . no inner or outer fault so
      distasteful that it is above the enduring and ever-present grace of God.
      Nothing can separate us from our Father's love.

      There is no struggle He cannot cease.

      Thom Hunter – BridgeBack Ministries

      thom@...