Don't Believe the Belief Thieves

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2011
      Good Guys,
      Here's an excerpt from this week's Signs of a Struggle
      <http://www.signsofastruggleblog.com/2011/06/dont-believe-belief-thieves\
      .html> blog post:
      My father died 23 years ago at the age of 60 on a day I did not notice,
      busy with my own life, far removed from his. It shouldn't have been that
      kind of day. There was no late night bedside call for a last-gasp
      farewell. I did not even know he was so close to death, and, I fear, had
      he lived another decade, I would have known no more in 1998 than I did
      in 1988. At some point, I became so focused on him not being a good
      father that I completely neglected being a good son.
      I believed I had done what was best, surrendering to his belligerent
      determination to live life on his own terms, which turned out to be
      short-term. I'm not sure what he believed because I had long since quit
      asking or wondering or wanting to know.

      That was wrong.

      This week on the blog: "Don't Believe the Belief Thieves." at this
      link:
      http://www.signsofastruggleblog.com/2011/06/dont-believe-belief-thieves.\
      html
      <http://www.signsofastruggleblog.com/2011/06/dont-believe-belief-thieves\
      .html>
      God Bless,
      Thomwww.thomhunter.com <http://thomhunter.com/>

    • J J
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2011
        Thom, you're constant encouragement is so welcome, so needed, so very wanted.
        Thank you.

        This weekend I witnessed a sad situation and heard of another even sadder one.
        The sadder of the two, a young man in a church took his life. The family is
        devasted... but so is that young man's pastor. Please pray for all these
        survivors. But most of all, pray for those like that young man, that they too
        will be survivors.

        In the other situation, I witnessed a young man whom I saw was smitten with
        another, and yet singing gospel songs in front of a crowd. I don't know where
        his loyalties lie, with Jesus or with his own brokenness, but I watched as
        another said something rather unintentionally calloused and smacking of
        love-less religion, intended as a joke about our struggles. He seemed unaware of
        what I knew, I suppose not knowing what to look for as we do - - - the broken
        man, professing a love for Jesus, yet (to me it was painfully obvious) carnally
        longing for a forbidden other, stood in front of a crowd and could not visibly
        react - forced to hide his reaction with a stoicism many of us know all too
        well. But I saw it in his eyes.... How I ached for him... But I dared not say a
        word. But, oh Jesus, my heart breaks. How it breaks!

        Would the "churchy" folks knew the importance of "temptation is not a sin."
        Would they they understood that "perfection is not the absence of temptation,
        else Jesus failed. Perfection is mastery over temptation." Would they also knew
        how much we need to hear that, to know that theybelieve that is true for us so
        we could dare believe it true for us too! Would that we all knew that Jesus will
        walk with us in the midst of our temptations, happy to show us how to avoid
        giving in, picking us when we fall, not kicking us or berating us for needing
        Him, scolding us as we need it, but never shaming us. Too many come across as
        having Jesus as an added bonus, not out of any need for Him. But I need Jesus.
        And I am so thankful He understands. In that moment of watching that young man
        try so hard not to wince in front of a crowd, not to betray himself.... how I
        wished someone would actually tell the GOSPEL - the GOOD News...

        But then I check my mail, and find encouragement. For this I am deeply grateful.
        And I pray others might be so rocked in the arms of Jesus too. Would that
        everyone knew that Jesus' arms are safe. Would that all our arms were the arms
        of Jesus.

        ~J

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2011
          I can empathize with that guy struggling with his passions while singing the
          gospel songs. That discribes the struggle that I had to deal with during the
          first five years of my being a believer. In those day I was indoctrinated with
          the "name it and claim it theology" whereas if you pray for deliverence,ZAP! You
          should have instant deliverence. If you don't than you never became a Christian
          to begin with.

          The more I prayed about this and the more that I fought it, my passions became
          more obvious, until I couldn't stand it any more and left the faith. Any you
          know something? When I did that I felt a burden being lifted of my shoulders. I
          no longer had to deal with gossip and back-biting with in the church. I no
          longer had to fear these inquisitions of brothers from the church confronting me
          "out of love."

          When is the body of believers going to learn! Are we going to desiple young
          believers to be followers of Jesus or is it more important that we be
          manipulated by guilt and shame?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2011
            JJ,
            Paul,

            It is amazing that the insensitivities of today differ little so from the past. I could have been either of those young men myself, and I know that they exist under other names in almost every church. Some will survive and some will not. Some will find freedom and others will not. Some will embrace a lifestyle from which they might have walked had they been able to trust a Christian brother, mentor or a pastor.

            I am praying for the survivors of the young man who killed himself. They must be devastated and wondering why they did not know, or if they did, why they were not able to offer him more support and encouragement.

            I pray that we can help others through our own brokenness.

            Thom Hunter
            Visit my new website: http://thomhunter.com/

            My new book, Surviving Sexual Brokenness, is available on my blog at Signs of a Struggle,
            or on Amazon.com or on Barnes&Noble.com.

                Those Not-So-Still Small Voices is now available by clicking here: Voices!

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2011
              Tom said, "I pray that we can help others through our own brokenness." Me, too, brother. :) That is precisely what God wants us to do with it all. It's nothing less than amazing to see how He orchestrates it sometimes.

              Debbie