Christians

  • Paul Silen
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2010
      You hit the nail right on the head!!!! Evangelical Christians, (except for maybe
      Muslims) are probably the most sexually repressed people in America! As far as
      The Lord is concerned, sin is sin whether it be cursing, or genocide. But we all
      know that in The Church there is sin and then there is Sin with a capitol "S".
      In fact today in the twenty-first century there is more sexual repression in
      American Conservative society than there was even a hundred years ago. Look at
      all the media hype that has been forced down our throats about child
      exploitation. I'm not saying that's not out there but it's blown way out of
      proportion. Make no mistake. There was just as much child abuse and same sex
      behavior going on back in the '50's when I was a kid as there is today. And all
      that the Church is doing is exacerbating the problem. Just last week I heard on
      radio evangelist tell on his radio show how he shamed is middle-school aged son
      for his self exploratory behavior. And that is par for the course in dealing
      with Christian sexuality as is was back in the nineteenth century! On one side
      of their mouth we're preached grace and forgiveness, and on the other side we're
      inflicted with guilt and shame. It's no wonder that there's so much infidelity
      in The Church. It's no wonder that the pews are filled every Sunday with sex
      addicts. It's no wonder that the divorce rate among Evangelical Christians is
      higher than that of the non believers. If we're going to reach out to the gay
      and lesbian community, we as Christians need to start in our own back yard.
    • DebbieThurman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 2010
        Yes, Paul, many so-called Christians will have to give an accounting one day for their duplicity in many areas, including the whole range of sexual sins and misunderstanding about what sex is and isn't.

        When God gave us sex, both for procreation and pleasure, He set boundaries for a reason. It is an area that is ripe for the picking when it comes to temptation and sin. Every good thing has the potential for perversion and exploitation.

        The term "sexual repression" means different things to different people, of course. To some ultra-liberal types (they go back a fair way in history), it means an unhealthy bridling of the "natural" passions. "If it feels good, do it" grew out of that mentality. Well, we can see where the sexual revolution has brought us. That wasn't the answer.

        I think what you are referring to here is the tendency of Christians for so long to feel so uncomfortable with even broaching the subject of sex (or not understanding it), that they can too easily harbor a dual life, and endure or turn a blind eye to it in others. And we can see what havoc that has wrought, as well.

        It will be interesting to see how the Church moves forward from here. We are in a phase of history where we are being forced to consider and discuss sexuality in a different light. We have more slippery slopes we can slide down. Or we can wake up and begin getting it right. There is a Guidebook. It is far deeper, more instructive and more consistent than many people want to credit it for. :)

        Debbie