The Consequences of Careless Compassion

  • ThomH
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2010
      Good Guys,
      The harshness of "hate the sin, love the sinner," has, in the
      compassionate minds of the misguided, dissolved into a hollow "I love
      you just the way you are." No . . . you don't. If you really love them
      the way they are, you'll help them be what God intended them to be. I
      am so saddened for the young men and women whose parents, in
      selfishness, embrace their giving in to temptation so they can still
      have Sunday lunch and smile and pass the peas. Careless compassion
      causes us to place happiness above healing . . . and we have not because
      we ask not. The carelessly compassionate Christian prays for a
      perverted peace and discovers turmoil; proclaims acceptance and smothers
      a deeper and honest desire for change in the ones we love. This is not
      happiness; this is not healing; this is not helping.
      I hope you'll read the rest of this week's post on Signs of a Struggle
      and leave me some feedback if it speaks to you. Just click on this link
      and you'll be there: http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/
      <http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/>
      God Bless,
      Thomhttp://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/
      <http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/>

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2010
        Good Guys,

        I would appreciate your prayers for my mother, Mary Ellen, as she is ill
        and in the hospital in Dallas. I've gone to visit her, which means
        instead up updating Signs of a Struggle this week, I chose one of my
        favorite chapters from my new book, Surviving Sexual Brokenness: What
        Grace Can Do.

        The chapter is called
        <http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/2010/12/consequences-of-carel\
        /%20ess-compassion.html> "The Consequences of Careless Compassion,"
        <http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/2010/12/consequences-of-carel\
        ess-compassion.html> and here's a paragraph from it. I hope you will
        click the link and read the whole chapter:

        Compassion is a gift from God that we can corrupt like everything else
        He gives us. Oh . . . but when it is presented in its perfect form,
        what healing takes place, what joy abounds, what grace flows and what
        beauty springs forth from the dry desert, shocking those who view it,
        like a brilliant and seemingly fragile butterfly that pauses on a
        morning glory. Imagine, that little fluttering thing that looks like
        tissue paper in flight can cross the continent and return again. It
        looks weak, but it is strong because it has learned to manage the
        currents and soar.

        If you would like to order an autographed Surviving Sexual Brokenness
        <http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-surviving-sexual-\
        brokenness-what.html> , please click the link on the right side of the
        blog.
        The book is also available on <http://amazon.com/>
        <http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Sexual-Brokenness-What-Grace/dp/1449707\
        /%20319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291864941&sr=1-1> Amazon.com
        <http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Sexual-Brokenness-What-Grace/dp/1449707\
        319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291941170&sr=1-1> or through your
        bookstore.

        God Bless,

        Thom -- http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/
        <http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/>

      • DebbieThurman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2010
          Sorry to hear of your mom's illness, Thom. I am praying for her. Congrats on the book. Mine is now safely in the printer's hands. Hallelujah! More info to follow, folks. Just looking right now to exhale a bit and enjoy family time.

          For those of you who celebrate the Advent of our Lord at this time of year, a very Merry Christmas.

          In His grip,

          Debbie

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
            Good Guys,

            Should we pick up a drunk on the sidewalk and help him back into the
            bar so he won't think we are judging him?

            Should we pause to tell a prostitute she might look prettier in a
            brighter shade of pink?

            Should we stock a few essentials in the cabinet for the visiting addict
            to cook his meth?

            Should we give a list of topics for the local church gossip to make her
            job easier?

            (Read more at http://www.signsofastruggleblog.com/

            http://thomhunter.com/ <http://thomhunter.com/>