Re: Telling my dad

  • DebbieThurman
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2010
      Paul, I thought I had posted a response to your delightful news yesterday morning. Not sure why it never showed up. Sorry. Let's try again.

      I can't quite duplicate my emotional reaction from when I first read what you wrote. You brought tears to my eyes. Yeah, good thing I also had some Kleenex nearby. I am praising God with you! It hit me in a more poignant way because our newest son-in-law, come May 22, had shared with us at the dinner table the evening before how he'd just had a very healing conversation with his own dad. No SSA there, but other issues that can divide are no less hurtful.

      So delighted that God was in both situations, yours and his. I can also tell you that when I first confided in my mom quite a few years ago, with much trepidation, her loving response was like a soothing balm for my soul, too. So, I know the feeling. May this blossom into a full-flowered reconciliation for you and your parents. The love was always there. It just had not found its expression yet.

      And, Paul S., I am also painfully aware that this kind of reconciliation does not occur for many others. There may be lots of reasons why. You were no less worthy of it. Pain can run so deep it blinds us and divides us for a long time. I know our God is able to bring us through those deep waters, even if we never get what our human heart desires. My husband never got that with either his father or step-father. But he has gained much peace over time. Bless you.

      Debbie

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gaetani <paulgaetani@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Dad, I love you and I don't want to cause you pain or heartbreak. Indeed, I really didn't want to tell you this, but two people have influenced me to do so, my counselor, who says it would be very helpful to my healing, and a friend, who said that by not telling you, I would be denying you an opportunity to father me. I have done that too often. In my search for healing, I have heard some stories of absolutely horrific fathers, and I am blessed to have a loving, Godly man, whom I can admire, love and respect as my father.
      >
      > I'm sure you know what I am going to tell you, I'm sure you knew 20 years ago when that crazy lady called the house late one night. I struggle with same sex attraction, sometimes victoriously, sometimes in miserable failure. Several friends warned me to be prepared for a negative or unsupportive response from you. I told them that I had no doubt as to your response, that my father would love and support me in my search for healing in any way that he could, that my father would love and accept me. I know I can be sure of God's love and, Dad, I know I can be sure of your love.
      >
      > Dad, I would like you to join me in talking with my counselor sometime. He will be in Pittsburg the week of March 15th, and I intend to see him, I would like it very much if you could join me. I've ordered a book that I ask you to read as well.
      >
      > Dad, I love you so much, and I am so glad you are my father. I want to be closer to you. I want to spend time with you. Maybe we would work at the stables together on Sunday mornings, followed by breakfast.
      >

      > Your loving son,
      >

      > After reading the letter, my dad took me in his arms, I cried a bit while he held me, he told me that his love was unconditional, and unconditional meant just that. I stayed in his arms for several minutes, basking in his love and support and acceptance. After that, I hugged my mom for awhile, and explained that I just needed to spend extra time alone with my dad right now, and she is okay with that. Of course, she cried her eyes out to know that her son has carried this pain, and I told her not to worry, that the journey would be all downhill from here. (I know that may not be exactly true, but who wants their mom to worry about them?)
      >

      > Thank you, my friends, for your support and encouragement in my journey. I feel more emotionally complete, whole and content than I can ever remember feeling, and your support has helped me achieve that.

    • DebbieThurman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2010
        Praying for a long and fruitful life for you, Paul!