Staying The Course

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 12:15 PM
      Hi folks,

      I had a little victory the other day. There is a large city park about two blocks from my house. I took my dog for a walk that afternoon and I got propositioned. (At my age that's almost an honor {lol}). There was a man in his early sixties parked in a pick-up truck who was very quick to ingraciate me. He told me that I had a pretty dog and we chatted for a minute. Then he invited me to his house "for a drink."

      I have been around the block often enough to know if somebody invites a perfect stranger to his house for a drink that there is some kind of ulterior motive. I told him that I was only out walking my dog and that my wife would have dinner ready for me soon, which was true.

      On my way home I felt good about the way that I handled that situation. But I thought to myself, "What if that guy was more appealing to my puriant interests? Would saying no have been as easy?"

      The fact is that I did say no. And yes, I will always have this struggle and situations like these will probably crop up again in the future. It's like this. I'm diabetic. I have to talk insulin and other medications every day to keep my blood sugars balanced. That is not going to go away, at least not in my lifetime. All I can do is depend on The Lord and thank him for the victories when they come and give Him the glory for them.
    • DebbieThurman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 12:35 PM
        Celebrating your little victory with you, brother. God is good!

        Debbie

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 2:42 PM
          Paul,

          The fact is, you did resist a temptation, and whenever we do that, particularly in response to being flattered, we grow stronger.  Give the glory to God and don't second-guess what you might have done had the tempter been more appealing.  You are right to be thankful.  File this in your memory banks and draw on this experience if such an invite occurs again.  And I guess, now that you know the park is a cruisy place, you should be more aware. Your mother would say, "don't talk to strangers."  Or maybe get an uglier dog.  LOL.

          God Bless,

          Thom
          http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/