Re: Real Christianity is Accepting

  • DebbieThurman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2009
      Thanks, Brendan. In line with that message, I want to bring up something members here may or may not be aware of. Uganda has stirred up international debate and a lot of concern from a cross-section of activists, gays, ex-gays and Christians because of a bill being put forward in their Parliament called the Anti-Homosexuality Bill 2009. It is tabled until early 2010, during which time all those opposed to it hope to create enough public pressure to have it withdrawn or changed substantially.

      While Uganda's penal code already had stiff penalties in place for homosexuality and other "crimes" of moral turpitude, this bill proposes even more draconian punishments for gays in Uganda, including the death penalty for what it calls "aggravated homosexuality," and fosters a witch-hunt atmosphere as anyone who even knows of an active gay person can be jailed for not turning that person in to authorities. Pastors and folks like me, who are involved in ministry outreach to struggling homosexuals, could not legally maintain confidentiality and also could face a prison sentence of up to three years for not turning in any person suspected of homosexual "crimes."

      Dr. Warren Throckmorton has launched a Facebook group to keep folks informed about the situation. It provides action steps for those who want to speak out. The group should have or exceed 1,000 members before today is out. I encourage you to check it out or join, if you are a Facebook user. You also can find quite a bit of information on Throckmorton's blog, http://wthrockmorton.com

      Debbie Thurman
      TheFormers.com