Re: Signs of a Struggle

  • aformer54
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
      I second Tom's welcome, Thom. I already commented at your blog. I think it's excellent. We look forward to your participation here.

      Debbie Thurman
      Another Moderator

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Thom Hunter <th2950@...> wrote:

      > Good Morning,
      >
      > I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you I'm looking forward to being a part of this discussion group. I'm a married father of five who has struggled with same-sex attraction for many years. Unfortunately, I've gone through some periods of limited success and this has resulted in some pretty serious damage to my family relationships. My wife iw walking with me now, thank goodness,
      >
      > I recently began blogging about some of these experiences. I thought you might be interested in some of those posts and perhaps responding to them. What I've been finding is that many of the responses to the blog are from members of the the soldified-gay community, debunking the possibility of freedom from same-sex attraction.
      >
      > If you are interested, the blog address is http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/
      >
      > I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Thom

    • bondtk
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
        Welcome, Thom!

        Appreciate your post and joining.

        This group has been helpful and someplace where I know that people understand where I've been and the constant battle this is for me. I must admit that I'm not where you are today, however. I know all the right answers, but applying them is very difficult, especially after revealing to my wife 2 1/2 years ago I "give up" she left with our 3 children and everything we own and went 6 hours away and has never come back after begging and pleading for help. People either won't listen or understand when I say how having a wife to help you through the battles would have made all the difference in the world for me. But only after 3 weeks knowing did she give up on me. My church also told me they never wanted me to walk through the doors again or they would physically escort me out. Yes, there are those who've gone before me successfully on their own without much human intervention and know God is all-powerful, but I sit here today knowing I can't do it alone. And despite the wonderful emails and encouragment I receive from so many long distance friends, nobody is able to stand beside me daily. So I live defeated most of the time.

        So don't mean to be a downer as I tend to be. I'm always happy for success stories where the marriage stuck together and the spouse didn't give up! Thanks for your encouraging story! I don't find many.

        Troy

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
          Hey "Bond,"

          Great to hear from you.  I am very sorry to hear of your situation.  I know that I am very fortunate to have a wife who has stood by me.  I wish it were more common.  I went to an Exodus International Conference a couple of years ago and it was nice to see that more and more couples are staying together and working through it.  However, it's very tough.

          I know how you must miss your children.  That makes it doubly-hard to stay on track because they are themselves a motivation to do what is right and good.  While my wife is with me, my children are still not trusting of me and we are separated.  Oddly enough, I actually wrote two books about family life and raising children.  We were a model family . . . with a dark secret.  I think because I had been "so good," when this darkness in my heart was revealed, the reactions were even more harsh than they might have been.

          Like you, I have been disciplined by my church and the hand of fellowship was removed from me.  I realize this is the church's way of turning us over to God when they don't know what else to do.  It hurts very badly . . . but when we are turned over to God, He is there, as long as we do not turn away.  I believe it is important to be a part of a church body and I hope to find another fellowship when the time is right.  I'll still need to make things right with my old church as well.  In truth, the church has a great deal to learn about how to minister to people who struggle with same-sex attractions.  We need to teach them.

          I'm sorry you feel defeated for the moment. I'm praying that the moment will not last.

          Thom

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
            Debbie,

            Thank you very much.  My wife appreciated your comments on the blog and I'm sure they were helpful to the readers, especially those who are married to a struggler.  You had some very good and encouraging things to say.

            Thom
            http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/

            I second Tom's welcome, Thom. I already commented at your blog. I think it's excellent. We look forward to your participation here.

            Debbie Thurman
            Another Moderator

            --- In exgaydiscussionboar d@yahoogroups. com, Thom Hunter <th2950@...> wrote:

            > Good Morning,
            >
            > I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you I'm looking forward to being a part of this discussion group. I'm a married father of five who has struggled with same-sex attraction for many years. Unfortunately, I've gone through some periods of limited success and this has resulted in some pretty serious damage to my family relationships. My wife iw walking with me now, thank goodness,
            >
            > I recently began blogging about some of these experiences. I thought you might be interested in some of those posts and perhaps responding to them. What I've been finding is that many of the responses to the blog are from members of the the soldified-gay community, debunking the possibility of freedom from same-sex attraction.
            >
            > If you are interested, the blog address is http://thom- signsofastruggle .blogspot. com/
            >
            > I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Thom

          • aformer54
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
              And you are welcome, Thom. I passed your blog post with your wife's perspectives on to my husband. I know he will appreciate what she has to say. It will certainly make him feel less alone.

              As for the church having "a great deal to learn about how to minister
              to people who struggle with same-sex attractions," I say a hearty Amen!

              Debbie

              --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Thom Hunter <th2950@...> wrote:

              > Debbie,
              >
              > Thank you very much. My wife appreciated your comments on the blog and I'm sure they were helpful to the readers, especially those who are married to a struggler. You had some very good and encouraging things to say.
              >
              > Thom
              > http://thom-signsofastruggle.blogspot.com/

            • ctickle777
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 26, 2009
                Incredible blog, Thom. Can't wait to read more.

                Blessings & prayers,
                Christa

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2009
                  Christa,

                  Thank you very much.  And any time you have comments, chime in . . . it will help me stay on track!

                  Thom