Re: [ExGDBd] Guess what my son told me tonight?

  • aformer54
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
      It is a painful thing to have to say, Bridget, but I have to agree
      with Tom. His advice comes from one who knows this truth from the
      inside out. How desperately you must want to do something -- anything
      -- that will make a difference. "Letting him go" and leaving him in
      God's care, while making sure he knows you will always love him, is
      the one thing you do have control over. He has to own the pain of his
      choices. This has been going on long enough. It does sound as if he's
      playing you.

      Oswald Chambers says in "My Utmost for His Highest," "Never be
      sympathetic with the soul whose case makes you come to the conclusion
      that God is hard. God is more tender than we an conceive, and every
      now and again He gives us the chance of being the rugged one that He
      may be the tender One."

      You cannot be God in your son's life. But you can stand aside, and let
      God do what He must. Johnathan must hurt in order to realize he has
      something in need of healing.

      As a mother, my heart is with you. Cover him in prayer, and ask other
      prayer warriors to do the same! Pray for your own strength. You will
      all be in my prayers.

      Debbie

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Morey
      <moreytom@...> wrote:

      > Dear Bridget,
      >
      > Please be complicit as in Luke 15 the father was with the prodigal
      son in his rebellion, and we'll all continue to pray that the Lord
      would eventually lead him to repentance. It does look like he still
      needs to experience negative ramifications to his chosen behaviors, in
      order that he may be won back to the Lord. Any attempts at reasoning
      with him apparently will just make him all the more invested in his
      rebellion. I do sense that he has for quite a while been quite passive
      aggressive with you, giving you a bit of hope by saying and/or doing
      the right thing, probably in order to some way reap privileges without
      sowing any personal responsibility, while all along he really has
      had other intentions. He needs to experience the growing pains of
      growing up all on his own. Please stop allowing him to be so
      disrespectful of you, by making a mockery out of your love for him.
      Please get off this roller coaster ride of his (it's not yours to
      ride); and
      > let him go! I know, I know, it's much easier said than done, but I
      know you can do it!

      > With much sadness,
      >
      > Tom

      this February. He has only known this kid online for one month and
      they are never met. I tried to ask him questions to see if he had
      thought this all out, but there is no stopping him and he is ecstatic
      that he has someone that loves him. He is so naive, but is acting like
      a teen who you can't tell what to do. They want to learn everything by
      experience at this point and all I can do is pray. It's a scary
      adventure for all of us. I am trying to hold on to the roller coaster
      ride. Bridget Night

      27&products_ id=84<http://evergreenboo ksales.com/ bookstore/
      product_info. php?cPath= 27&products_ id=84>
      > Or:
      > http://www.authorho use.com/BookStor e/ItemDetail. aspx?bookid=
      12053<http://www.authorho use.com/BookStor e/ItemDetail. aspx?bookid=
      12053>.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
        Dear Debbie, and Tom, Thank you both so much for all your insights and advice and empathy. It means the world to me right now. I am thrilled about your comments to my book Debbie. You are right about Soren. He got married to some guy last year (who cheats on him occasionally) and they run a 7/11 in Copenhagen. My other Danish Doctor friend, Niels, who read my book also strongly reacted to the 10 items that can contribute to SSA which I quoted from Richard Cohens book. He had all 10 of them and cried for 3 days after reading that because he realized where his SSA stemed from. His abuse destroyed his life so much. Well, my husband just surprised me this morning with some good news. From our Tax returns he is finally taking me to Denmark this June and letting me meet Soren for the first time. Also to Austria where I served as a missionary for two years and to see Berlin where I was born and left for America at 3 years old. It will be exciting and a dream of mine come true.

        Thanks again for all your support, Bridget
        http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84<http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84>

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
          Glad to hear you're going to Europe! Isn't that like our Lord, Who consoles us with His favor when we are in distress. Btw, do you think you could consider making room for one of your friends (moi) in one of your larger suitcases? ;-)

          Blessings,

          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
            Exciting news for you to be able to make that trip! Soren will be
            happy, I hope.

            Where in Austria did you serve as a missionary? I lived in Wartberg
            (Steirmark) for a little while, and took a few trips to Vienna and
            Graz. Loved it. After about three months there, immersed in the
            culture, I was actually starting to think in German. That was weird. I
            also lived for a few months in Germany, in the Hunsruck area. This was
            way back in '76-'77, right out of college. My "mission" was teaching
            an Austrian family about American culture and tutoring three children
            in English, and a wee bit of Latin. They taught me German. Great
            experience. I'd love to go back, too. My mother taught school in
            Germany at an American Air Force Base for 17 years, BTW.

            --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Bridget Night"

            exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com<mailto:exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
              Oh Wow Debbie,

              How very interesting. What a small world it is when we start sharing our lives. I was in Vienna for 14 months, Graz 6 months, Innsbruck and Linz a couple of weeks. I love the food, culture and people and even their dialect. They seemed to understand my Berliner high German. So great to know this about you. Bridget

              exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com<mailto:exgaydiscussionboard%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com<mailto:exgaydiscussionboard%40yahoogroups.com>>

              > Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 9:02 AM
              > Subject: [ExGDBd] Re: Guess what my son told me tonight?
              >

              > Oh, boy. You are all standing in the need of prayer. It's been quite a
              > journey, hasn't it? This is not likely to turn out well at all.
              >
              > I probably can best relate to the family drama through the lens of our
              > struggle with my late younger brother, who suffered from a drug
              > problem, schizophrenia and a deep woundedness from our dad's earlier
              > battle with alcoholism and depression. We also suspected molestation
              > from a male school teacher, but never really knew. He did not give any
              > indication of having SSA, but even that may have been possible. I
              > became the one who had the life-or-death struggle with depression
              > later in life. Greg, my brother, was totally impulse-driven. He
              > essentially smoked himself to death at 45. Had a major stroke; lungs
              > like rocks.
              >
              > I want to thank you for getting your book to me, Bridget. I have been
              > reading some sections, and I do find it most interesting. My antenna
              > certainly went up when Soren wrote his response to the section of
              > Cohen's book you had quoted to him (the 10 items). He was being pretty
              > vulnerable at that point, I thought, and could not refute some of the
              > points. Don't know how he is doing today, but he's probably remained a
              > diehard -- I hope one with an open mind.
              >
              > I am about to do some research on "Letters to Bobby' to see what the
              > story is before the movie airs. We'll talk more about things we have
              > already discussed. There is so much in your book that is fascinating,
              > and could make a difference if more people read it. The publisher (I
              > use the term loosely) has been of no help to you in this. I have
              > actively campaigned against vanity presses like that. I'll do what
              I can.

              > Hang in there. I guess you have a lot of "one-more-knots" on your
              rope.

              > Debbie
              >
              > --- In
              exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com<mailto:exgaydiscussionboard%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:exgaydiscussionboard%40yahoogroups.com>,
              "Bridget Night"

              http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84<http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84><http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84<http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84>><http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84<http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84><http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84<http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=84>>>
              > > Or:

              http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053<http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053><http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053<http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053>><http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053<http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053><http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053<http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=12053>>>.

            • aformer54
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2009
                I know it's OT, but I learned German with a Styrian accent, and must
                have sounded pretty authentic as I was stopped on a street in Vienna
                once by a native who asked me for directions. Turns out we were going
                to the same place (the American movie theater, where Bogart and
                Bacall's "The Big Sleep" was playing, with German subtitles). I
                laughed at all the jokes, while my "date" sat there looking
                dumbfounded. He kept asking me what was so funny.