Ex Gays support "Day of Silence"

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2008
      A few ex gay bloggers are supporting the "Day of Silence" and
      backing it up with scripture.They are also critical of soem Christian
      groups who oppose it. The blog Pursue God is by a former lesbian and
      Evangelical Christian who explains on her blog why she supports the
      Day of Silence.

      http://pursuegod.wordpress.com/

      Day of Silence

      I don't know whether to weep or scream in anguished frustration.
      This past week I have been reading about the National Day of
      Silence. The more I learn how Christians are responding to this day,
      the more my heart sinks in despair. The National Day of
      Silence "brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and
      harassment in schools." As someone who was scared to death to tell
      anyone, particularly a Christian, about my same-gender attractions, I
      empathize with the fear many LGBT students feel. I understand what
      it feels like to be trapped in silence, never being fully known—
      because if people really knew me they would hate me. Gay jokes and
      insults convinced me of that.

      One would think Christians would be the first to respond with
      kindness and support for kids navigating the confusing world of
      sexuality. Yet instead of seeing the Day of Silence as an opportunity
      to befriend gay youth, conservative Christians launched an all-out
      attack. The Religious Right coached parents to protest by keeping
      kids home from school, and conservative leaders labeled the day
      a "scam," a "propaganda blitz," and "pro-homosexual indoctrination."
      Pastor Ken Hutcherson of Antioch Bible Church in Washington even
      placed a full-page ad in the local paper calling for 1,000 prayer
      warriors to descend in protest on Mt. Si High School.

      On Friday, approximately 100 people took Hutcherson up on his
      suggestion. Some protesters held signs that said, among other
      things, "Silence for Unnatural Behavior? Not ME." I kept picturing a
      15 year old gay kid walking past those protesters and absorbing that
      message. The very thought brought me to tears. I wanted to fly to
      Washington, put my arms around those youth, and shield them from
      these misguided adults. What makes this protest even more tragic is
      that Hutcherson, by his own admission, instigated the protest as "pay
      back." He had been invited to the school as a speaker for Martin
      Luther King Day, but was upset when a gay-affirming audience member
      challenged him on his commitment to equality. In an audio interview
      on the website for Concerned Women for America, Hutcherson said
      regarding the school, "You guys are going to pay for this . . . You
      tried to embarrass me, but what you did was embarrass my daughter [a
      student at Mt. Si]. Now you got a serious problem with a dad." The
      host, Matt Barber, then joked about Hutcherson's presumed prowess as
      a former football player.

      Focus on the Family's Tom Minnery congratulated Hutcherson on his
      actions saying, "It takes courage to stand against the harm of the
      homosexual lifestyle, and we applaud Dr. Hutcherson as he stands
      against the nonsense underway at Mt. Si High School" (emphasis
      added). Nonsense? Is that what Focus on the Family has to say about
      name-calling, bullying and harassment of gay youth? Ironically,
      Focus on the Family's Love Won Out speakers often emphasize how
      damaging and confusing it is when kids are bullied and
      labeled "dyke," "fag," "sissy," or "queer." Being alienated by
      classmates as youngsters is a common theme in many ex-gay
      testimonies. Yet, I have not seen one compassionate interview or
      article from the Religious Right discussing the validity of the
      National Day of Silence. None of the commentary even acknowledge the
      gay youth themselves. It's as if they don't exist.

      The Religious Right wants to portray the Day of Silence as a product
      of militant gay activists (the day was actually created in 1996 by
      students at the University of Virginia). It wants to give the
      impression of "the noble stand for truth." But, truth only has
      meaning when it is used for its intended purpose. Truth is for the
      benefit of another—not to prove how brave or unashamed we are of our
      convictions. Its purpose is to bless, liberate and heal. Truth by
      itself has no value. As Paul said, "If I have . . . all
      knowledge . . . but have not love, I am nothing" (I Cor. 13:2). And
      that is what I see in the conservative Christian response to the Day
      of Silence—a lot of "knowledge" about what is "right," but very
      little love.

      The Religious Right is legitimately concerned about morality. But,
      then so were the Pharisees. The Pharisees were, in fact, right about
      the wrong behavior of sinners. They knew God didn't like sin, and
      they made sure everyone knew it. In contrast, Jesus didn't
      orchestrate protests against sinners. When Jesus encountered
      the "openly tax-collecting" Zacchaeus, he didn't wave a protest sign
      at him, he said, "I must stay at your house today" (Luke 19;5). Jesus
      made himself a guest of the chief tax collector. He made himself
      welcome in the homes of sinners and ate with them. If Jesus had been
      at Mt. Si High School, he wouldn't have been standing with the
      protesters. He would have been sitting in the quad with gay youth,
      eating his lunch and chatting with them. He would have known their
      names, their hopes, dreams and struggles.

      Do certain gay organizations exploit the Day of Silence for their own
      political purposes? Certainly. But, then so does the Religious Right.
      Ultimately, I am not interested in the propaganda of either side. I'm
      concerned about the youth who are affected by same-gender attraction.
      As a Christian, it is my moral obligation to stand against the name-
      calling, bullying and harassment of gay youth. So, yesterday, I
      stopped by the Day of Silence exhibit students had set up in the quad
      at the university where I work. They taped a bright florescent pink
      band around my arm that read "Silenced." I wore it for the rest of
      the day, explaining its significance when co-workers asked. The
      students also prompted me to write my thoughts on a wooden figure
      being used to capture various sentiments. I wrote: "Love Never Fails.
      I Corinthians 13. For all those who have ever been told they are
      unlovable because they are gay, I stand in silence with you."

      Note: This year's Day of Silence was in memory of 15 year old
      Lawrence King, a gay youth, who was murdered on February 12, 2008 at
      his junior high school. A classmate shot him in the head while he sat
      in the computer lab.