Ex-Gay Advocate vs Gay Advocate...both Republican?

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007
      Ex-Gay Advocate vs Gay Advocate...both Republican?

      I found this on a blog called Gay Patriotit is run by a Republican
      who is also homosexual.They met at a pro homosexual panel discussion
      on sexuality and faith.

      My Conversation with an Ex-Gay Advocate

      by GayPatriotWest

      http://gaypatriot.net

      - August 31, 2007

      Among the many interesting people I've met at Breaking Stories,
      Breaking Waves, the LGBT Media Summit and National Convention, has
      been an individual I least expected to meet here. Allyson Smith, a
      Reporter/Researcher for Americans for Truth, a "national
      organization devoted exclusively to exposing and countering the
      homosexual activist agenda," has been attending the convention and
      even sat in on my panel, "The Right Approach: Covering LGBT
      Conservatives."

      A few hours ago, while chatting with the Washington Blade's Kevin
      Naff in the hotel bar, we saw her walk back and asked Miss Smith to
      join us. Not only did she agree with alacrity, but when she spoke
      with us, she offered conversation that was both interesting and
      engaging — and of particular note, given one of my primary concerns,
      she was above all quite civil.

      Her views of the conference were similar to my own, saying
      that "everyone has been very nice to me." Wayne Besen, who moderated
      our panel yesterday and has written extensively on ex-gays, noted
      her attitude was similar to that of many such conservatives. When
      Allyson, Kevin and I discussed her civil reception, we all agreed
      that often we let political disagreement create animosity.

      "If we disagree with people," I said, "we feel we have to hate
      them." Fortunately that wasn't true with this representative of a
      group which holds a view of homosexuality at odds with the reality
      of the lives of so many gay men and lesbians.

      Smith noted the amount of destructive behavior in the gay community,
      with people having promiscuous sex and often not taking precautions
      to prevent the spread of STDs. Kevin and I acknowledged that such
      behavior persists in the gay community, but noted that it is not
      limited to gay men—and that a number of straight men (and women) are
      also promiscuous, often destructively so.

      And I pointed out that while there are exceptions, lesbians tend not
      to have the same self-destructive sexual behaviors as gay men,
      havings relationships which correspond with the heterosexual married
      ideal.

      When she talked about how Christian values offer an alternative to
      homosexual behavior, I countered that gay men can bring (indeed many
      have brought) such values into their relationships with other men.
      Somewhat agreeing with her point defining a monogamous marriage
      between one man and one woman as the ideal, I pointed out that gay
      people could also be inspired by that ideal. (I even noted how I
      have blogged about it in posts filed under this category).

      We did agree that promiscuous sex can lead to shame and emptiness.

      And I pointed out that while there are exceptions, lesbians tend not
      to have the same self-destructive sexual behaviors as gay men and
      tend to for relationships which correspond with the heterosexual
      married ideal.

      In all, it was a good conversation. I regretted having to end it so
      I could attend a panel which was considerbly less interesting than
      our exchange.

      I very much appreciated her coming to the conference and taking the
      time to listen to a great variety of gay perspectives here. While we
      disagree strongly, I hope our conversation helped her see that there
      are gay men who define our orientation as involving more than
      immediate and frequent gratification of our sexual desires. That
      many of us are seeking the same sort of things that straight people
      are looking for, including socially conservative individuals of
      faith.

      Given my commitment to civil discourse, I have offered Miss Smith a
      chance to respond to this post. I will post it as an addendum, even
      if I disagree with her ideas. And invite you to reply to her
      thoughts in the same manner (and tone) that she offers them.

      ADDENDUM FROM ALLLYSON SMITH:

      I appeciated the opportunity to speak with you and Washington Blade
      editor Kevin Naff at the NLGJA conference today. Our exchange was
      interesting and civil, and I was pleased that we were able to
      discuss our respective views in a respectful manner. And everyone
      else whom I've personally encountered at Breaking Stories, Breaking
      Waves has treated me with civility and kindness, which I didn't
      expect and deeply appreciate. Thank you.

      Even though there are many issues we will likely never agree upon–
      some of which arose in our conversation–I was happily surprised to
      find we concur that promiscuous sex persists in the homosexual
      community. "Our side"–we Christian conservatives (CCs)–often feel
      that when we point out such a fact, we are labeled with epithets
      such as "haters" or "bigots" or worse, when all we are attempting to
      do is point out the truth in love and concern.

      [The rests of her addendum continues below the jump:]

      In April 2005, I was present when my good friend, Philip Thorson,
      died at San Diego Hospice. Philip was an "ex-gay" who once practiced
      homosexuality but had renounced and repented of the lifestyle
      several years earlier, after a near-death experience. Philip was a
      handsome and intelligent individual with so much to offer, but he
      had contracted AIDS, and the disease finally took its toll when he
      was only 42. (Read the story at
      http://www.sdnewsnotes.com/ed/articles/2005/0507ak.htm.)

      Watching Philip decline, develop dementia, and finally pass away was
      such a sorrowful experience. We who were his friends wonder how much
      more he could have accomplished and given to his family, friends and
      society had not AIDS cut him down in the prime of life. The loss of
      talented people like Philip is one reason why we CCs are troubled by
      and oppose homosexuality.

      But I digress . . .

      Dan, as you correctly noted, the issue of destructive sex applies
      not only to homosexuals but to heterosexuals. Plenty of
      heterosexuals engage in damaging sexual practices that can lead to
      shame and emptiness. I know this from bitter personal experience,
      which is why I oppose any sexual relationships outside the construct
      of monogamous, lifelong, traditional marriage.

      As for your comments that lesbians tend not to have the same self-
      destructive sexual behaviors as gay men and that they have
      relationships that correspond more closely with the heterosexual
      married ideal, and that gay men can bring Christian values into
      their relationships with other men, I respond: While there may be
      elements of the heterosexual ideal in same-sex relationships, the
      truth is that such relationships can never fully match the ideal,
      simply because they're not the "real deal."

      Males and females are designed for one another. That fact is evident
      from even casual observation. This natural design is apparent in
      both physical and emotional characteristics. The "real deal"
      consists in the joining of the two complementary sexes in a
      monogamous, lifelong union that, in most cases, results in the
      begetting of children whose welfare is of primary importance to both
      natural parents. Any other type of sexual union, whether homosexual
      or heterosexual, is a counterfeit.

      Regarding your comment, ". . . I hope our conversation helped her
      see that there are gay men who define our orientation as involving
      more than immediate and frequent gratification of our sexual
      desires. That many of us are seeking the same sort of things that
      straight people are looking for, including socially conservative
      individuals of faith."

      I don't doubt this. We CCs understand that not all gay men define
      their sexuality in those terms–but we are concerned about the number
      who do. We stand against the moral, physical, and spiritual
      destruction of individuals, whatever their sexual preference, that
      is caused by unfettered "sexual freedom" which I describe as "sexual
      anarchy."

      All of us–homosexual, heterosexual, or whatever–are looking for
      someone who can fulfill the deepest longings of our hearts. We are
      all searching for the one person who can really understand us, who
      will sacrifice their own interests to ours, and who will love us
      despite our shortcomings and failings.

      But the truth is that we can never find such love, understanding, or
      sacrifice in any creatures, be they other people or material things.
      We can only find those things in God who loves us infinitely–warts,
      sins and all. As St. Augustine wrote, "Our hearts are restless until
      they rest in thee, O Lord."

      Okay, Dan, I could continue but have to get to sleep now in order to
      put in a full day at NLGJA tomorrow. No doubt you'll receive many
      blog comments after posting this addendum.

      Thank you again for our conversation today and for your blog entry.
      We don't see eye-to-eye and probably never will, but I appreciated
      our exchange and am glad you, Kevin and I had the opportunity to
      talk face-to-face.

      God bless you,

      http://gaypatriot.net/2007/08/31/my-conversation-with-an-ex-gay-
      activist#more-2499