Hostage drill at NJ school features mock 'Christian terrorists'

  • Thomas Morey
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2007
      Boy, this literally hits close to home. I played this
      high school in basketball 32 years ago, being that it
      is in South Jersey, near where I grew up at the Jersey
      shore. At that time it was definitely attended by
      mostly blue collar conservatives' kids, and had at
      least a moderately liberal faculty!

      Blessings,

      Tom

      Hostage drill at NJ school features mock 'Christian
      terrorists'

      Jim Brown
      OneNewsNow.com
      April 2, 2007

      The head of a national, Texas-based pro-family group
      says a recent hostage drill at a New Jersey high
      school, which portrayed conservative Christians as
      terrorists, is reflective of a dangerous philosophy
      that has become prevalent in many parts of America,
      where it is having negative effects on education.

      A local paper reports that a drill at Burlington
      Township High School in New Jersey involved police
      portraying mock gunmen, described as "members of a
      right-wing fundamentalist group called the 'New
      Crusaders' who don't believe in the separation of
      church and state." The fake gunmen were said to have
      been "seeking justice because the daughter of one
      [member] had been expelled for praying before class."

      Historian and constitutional expert David Barton is
      president of WallBuilders, a national pro-family
      organization that distributes historical, legal, and
      statistical information and helps citizens become
      active in their local schools and communities. He says
      the stereotyping used in the high school's drill is an
      accurate indicator of what is being taught in public
      schools in the Northeast region of the country.

      "It's been interesting to see the indoctrination that
      goes on," Barton notes, "where we've had in the same
      region, even federal courts up in that same area, say
      it's okay to start teaching second graders about
      homosexuality and homosexual 'marriage.'"

      Also, the author and historian observes, the common
      thinking prevalent in this region is "that, by the
      way, we do not have to notify parents that we're going
      to indoctrinate kids because this is such an important
      societal value that all citizens need it." But in
      fact, he asserts, such liberal indoctrination of
      students in religious and moral areas of thought has
      been shown to lead to some undesirable outcomes.

      "There is now a study that has been done by the
      University of Connecticut that shows that kids who
      have gone through that type of education actually know
      less academically than when they enter [school], and
      they're calling that phenomenon 'negative learning,'"
      Barton points out. "So that kind of indoctrination or
      philosophy is having an adverse effect academically,"
      he says.

      Nevertheless, the WallBuilders founder observes,
      liberal attitudes like the one that informs the
      Burlington Township High School drill are "fairly
      reflective of the philosophy that has really
      inculcated that part of the country. He says many
      schools, local officials, and members of Congress from
      the Northeast share a strong hostility toward
      traditional values.

      The "separation of church and state" phrase invoked in
      the school hostage drill, Barton asserts, was rarely
      used by America's founding fathers and is currently
      construed by many liberals to mean almost exactly the
      opposite of what it originally meant, protecting
      churches from the government.

      Correction: Removes inaccurate reference to "New
      England" in third paragraph. (4/2/2007)

      All Original Content Copyright 2006-2007 American
      Family News Network - All Rights Reserved

      Need Mail bonding?