Love Won Out ....."Omaha, Nebraska"........Press Release

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2007
      April 14 event in Omaha will feature often-unreported facts about
      controversial issue

      COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., March 28 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Focus
      on the Family welcomed news today that its April 14 Love Won Out
      conference at Trinity Church in Omaha will be protested by gay
      activists, saying it looks forward to adding its voice to a
      community-wide dialogue on homosexuality.

      Most of the 43 Love Won Out events held since 1995 have seen some
      form of protest, said Melissa Fryrear, a Love Won Out speaker and
      director of Focus on the Family's Gender Issues Department. And
      that's perfectly fine in America.

      "How great is it that our country guarantees its citizens the
      right to speak out about issues they care about -- even when those
      issues are controversial?" Fryrear said. "The protesters have every
      right to exercise that freedom with regards to their views on
      homosexuality. So do we -- and that's what we'll be doing on April
      14: exercising our right to offer families who are affected by
      homosexuality information they may not get elsewhere."

      Those who oppose Love Won Out have used words like "bigotry"
      and "hatred" to describe the event. Fryrear said that's exactly the
      opposite of Love Won Out's mission and message.

      "Our conference is about truth, love and hope," she said. "In
      every city we've ever gone to, we've found men and women who are
      dissatisfied living homosexually; what we offer them is the reality
      that change is possible -- that unwanted same-sex attractions can
      be overcome. My life and the lives of thousands of other ex-gays
      like me are proof of that."

      In addition to the personal stories of Fryrear and Mike Haley, a
      former homosexual and the conference host, the event will feature
      discussions of the roots of homosexuality and what the Bible says
      about the subject.

      "The No. 1 misleading statement made about us is that we
      believe homosexuality is a choice," Fryrear said. "That's not at
      all true. We believe same-sex attractions are caused by many
      complex factors, and we explain that very meticulously in our

      The conference will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Trinity Church,
      15555 West Dodge Road in Omaha. A news conference to address the
      charges leveled by protesters will be held at noon Friday, April
      13, at the church. For more information and to arrange press
      credentials, contact Nima Reza at 719-548-4570 or 719-648-4590.

      James C. Dobson, Ph.D. is a psychologist, author, radio broadcaster
      and founder of Focus on the Family. Founded in 1977, Focus on the
      Family is a nonprofit Christian organization committed to
      strengthening the family in the U.S. and throughout the world.