Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional - 12052006 - day 339 *****Judges*****

  • PTW
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006
      December 5, 2006

      KJV - (King James Version)

      NIV - (New International Version)

      BBE - (Bible in Basic English)

      Scripture of the Day

      Jeremiah 3:12

      12) Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause
      mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will
      not keep anger for ever. (KJV)

      12Go, proclaim this message toward the north: Return, faithless Israel,
      declares the LORD, I will frown on you no longer, for I am merciful,
      declares the LORD, I will not be angry forever. (NIV)

      3:12 Go, and give out these words to the north, and say, Come back, O
      Israel, though you have been turned away from me, says the Lord; my face
      will not be against you in wrath: for I am full of mercy, says the Lord, I
      will not be angry for ever. (BBE)

      Daily Devotional

      Verses for the Day:

      Proverbs 29:22-24

      22) An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in
      transgression.
      23) A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in
      spirit.
      24) Whoso is partner with a thief hateth his own soul: he heareth cursing,
      and bewrayeth it not. (KJV)

      22An angry man stirs up dissension, and a hot-tempered one commits many
      sins. 23A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.
      24The accomplice of a thief is his own enemy; he is put under oath and dare
      not testify. (NIV)

      29:22 An angry man is the cause of fighting, and a man given to wrath does
      much wrong. 29:23 A man's pride will be the cause of his fall, but he who
      has a gentle spirit will get honour. 29:24 A man who takes part with a thief
      has hate for his soul; he is put under oath, but says nothing. (BBE)

      Thoughts for the Day:

      These verses from Proverbs tell us how those with bad characteristics like
      anger, pride and thievery stir up strife and will be brought low; while men
      of humility will come to honor. Those who harbor anger in their hearts will
      also have other things that will cause them to abound in their own
      transgressions. Anger is a form of pride, and pride breeds many other woes.
      An angry man will stir up strife, because he will vent his anger on others,
      thus causing dissension. Some people think that because they are just angry
      at one person, that anger is not that bad; however, a spirit of anger is not
      always selective. People who are angry at one person will find that the
      anger they embrace toward one, will spill over to others. That is why we
      must resist all anger. We must ask the Lord to cleanse us from this evil
      sin.

      Verse 23 talks about pride, another deadly sin. If we yield to this one, we
      will be brought down from our lofty place as the Bible says "a haughty
      spirit goes before a fall."

      Proverbs 16:18

      18) Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
      (KJV)

      18Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. (NIV)

      16:18 Pride goes before destruction, and a stiff spirit before a fall. (BBE)

      Proverbs 18:12

      12) Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is
      humility. (KJV)

      12Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before
      honor. (NIV)

      18:12 Before destruction the heart of man is full of pride, and before
      honour goes a gentle spirit. (BBE)

      Proverbs 15:33

      33) The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is
      humility. (KJV)

      33The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before
      honor. (NIV)

      15:33 The fear of the Lord is the teaching of wisdom; and a low opinion of
      oneself goes before honour. (BBE)

      The Lord looks for those who have a heart attitude that is humble and
      contrite and to those who respect the Word of God. Those are the ones who
      will receive His blessings and will be brought to honor.

      Isaiah 66:2

      2) For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been,
      saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of
      a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. (KJV)

      2Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?
      declares the LORD. This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite
      in spirit, and trembles at my word. (NIV)

      66:2 For all these things my hand has made, and they are mine, says the
      Lord; but to this man only will I give attention, to him who is poor and
      broken in spirit, fearing my word. (BBE)

      Jesus in the New Testament told us the same thing - the way up in the
      kingdom of God is down. Those who are great in God's kingdom are those who
      become a servant to all.

      Matthew 23:11-12

      11) But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
      12) And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall
      humble himself shall be exalted. (KJV)

      11The greatest among you will be your servant. 12For whoever exalts himself
      will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. (NIV)

      23:11 But let the greatest among you be your servant. 23:12 And whoever
      makes himself high will be made low, and whoever makes himself low will be
      made high. (BBE)

      James 4:6-7 & 10

      6) But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud,
      but giveth grace unto the humble.
      7) Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee
      from you.
      10) Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
      (KJV)

      6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: God opposes the
      proud but gives grace to the humble. 7Submit yourselves, then, to God.
      Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 10Humble yourselves before the
      Lord, and he will lift you up. (NIV)

      4:6 But he gives more grace. So that the Writings say, God is against the
      men of pride, but he gives grace to those who make themselves low before
      him. 4:7 For this cause be ruled by God; but make war on the Evil One and he
      will be put to flight before you. 4:10 Make yourselves low in the eyes of
      the Lord and you will be lifted up by him. (BBE):

      The Bible tells us that God resists those who are proud, but to the humble
      soul, He will give grace. Also, the way to overcome when the devil attacks
      us, in to first submit ourselves to God, then we must resist the devil and
      when we do, we are guaranteed that he will flee. How do we resist the
      devil? We must quote the Word of God in faith that pertains to our problem,
      and then verbally command the enemy to leave. The Bible says, "he will
      flee," not maybe he will flee. The devil will flee!

      Proverbs 29:24 states that a man who partners with a thief really does not
      care about his own life, for he knows the consequences and does it anyway.
      The accomplice of a thief is his own enemy. A thief will threaten an
      accomplice, because of what they know and he will make them swear, they will
      not tell on them. Out of fear under such an oath, he dares not testify. This
      is a world of deceit and in time it will come down.

      Prayer for the Day:

      Dear Heavenly Father, I come to You asking that You deliver me from all
      pride and anger. I truly want to be like Jesus who was meek and lowly.
      Father, help me to remain humble and always be willing to assume the place
      of a servant. May I always be sensitive to the needs of others and look for
      ways to help them. I am reminded in Your Word that we told, by love, we are
      to serve one another. Fill me with Your love so that I might love those
      around me and serve them as You would. I ask this in the name of Jesus.
      Amen.

      Keep each other in PrAyer and display HuMility. Have a BlEssed day and stay
      ENcourage.

      God is Good All the Time!!!

      Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional are sent out Daily via email. If
      you would like to add any of your family members or friends to this
      distribution list, just reply to the email address listed below with their
      full email address and they will start receiving the Word Of God in the
      future. If you want your email address remove from this distribution list,
      please reply to the email address listed below requesting for your email
      address to be removed. Thank you.

      Stay Blessed,

      Riley

      <mailto:pass_the_word@...> pass_the_word@...