Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional - 10012006 - day 274 *****Judges*****

  • PTW
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      October 1, 2006

      KJV - (King James Version)

      NIV - (New International Version)

      BBE - (Bible in Basic English)

      Scripture of the Day

      Isaiah 53:3-6

      3) He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with
      grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we
      esteemed him not.

      4) Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did
      esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

      5) But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our
      iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes
      we are healed.

      6) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own
      way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. (KJV)

      3He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with
      suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we
      esteemed him not. 4Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our
      sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and
      afflicted. 5But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for
      our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by
      his wounds we are healed. 6We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us
      has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us
      all. (NIV)

      53:3 Men made sport of him, turning away from him; he was a man of sorrows,
      marked by disease; and like one from whom men's faces are turned away, he
      was looked down on, and we put no value on him. 53:4 But it was our pain he
      took, and our diseases were put on him: while to us he seemed as one
      diseased, on whom God's punishment had come. 53:5 But it was for our sins he
      was wounded, and for our evil doings he was crushed: he took the punishment
      by which we have peace, and by his wounds we are made well. 53:6 We all went
      wandering like sheep; going every one of us after his desire; and the Lord
      put on him the punishment of us all. (BBE)

      Daily Devotional

      Verses for the Day:

      Proverbs 25:18

      18) A man that beareth false witness against his neighbour is a maul, and a
      sword, and a sharp arrow. (KJV)

      18Like a club or a sword or a sharp arrow is the man who gives false
      testimony against his neighbor. (NIV)

      25:18 One who gives false witness against his neighbour is a hammer and a
      sword and a sharp arrow. (BBE)

      Thoughts for the Day:

      This verse from Proverbs describes how a person who is a false witness
      affects another -- it is like a sharp and heavy blow against them. God
      commanded us not to bear false witness against anyone, and is the ninth
      commandment in the list of the Ten Commandments in the Old Testament.

      Exodus 20:16

      16) Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. (KJV)

      16You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. (NIV)

      20:16 Do not give false witness against your neighbour. (BBE)

      The definition of a "false witness" is someone who lies about his neighbor
      or anyone else. Bearing false witness is telling a lie or witnessing with a
      false report. But this commandment has a deeper meaning than just lying. The
      Bible makes some very strong statements about how we speak and how we
      "witness" with our mouths - both positive and negative. Now, bearing false
      witness would include gossiping, slander, lying, deceitfulness and cheating.
      When we gossip about anybody, we are lying about them and bearing false
      witness about them. This is a very serious thing before God. According to
      this verse in Proverbs, it is like beating someone with a heavy sledgehammer
      or hitting them with a sword or an arrow.

      We may not think gossiping is a very serious offense, but with God, it is a
      very serious because it is distorting the truth against our neighbor or
      someone else, and God will not hold us guiltless for this. I remember years
      and years ago when I made a commitment to God and totally surrendered to
      Him, the very first thing the Lord dealt with me about was the sin of
      gossiping. The Lord revealed to me that my mouth was causing destruction in
      my own life, as well as the lives of others by my critical words. When the
      Holy Spirit comes in, it is His responsibility to cleanse us from all
      unrighteousness and remove those things in us that do not look like Jesus,
      so God began to deal with my tongue right away. He started convicting me
      about the things that I was saying that did not agree with the Word of God
      and the things that were sinful that I was speaking. There is a lot in
      Scripture that refers to the tongue. We are to guard our tongue; the fruit
      we produce out of our mouth will make us or break us, will either give us
      victory or destroy us, because there is life and death in the power of the
      tongue according to the Word of God.

      Proverbs 18:20-21

      20) A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with
      the increase of his lips shall he be filled.
      21) Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it
      shall eat the fruit thereof. (KJV)

      20From the fruit of his mouth a man's stomach is filled; with the harvest
      from his lips he is satisfied. 21The tongue has the power of life and death,
      and those who love it will eat its fruit. (NIV)

      18:20 With the fruit of a man's mouth his stomach will be full; the produce
      of his lips will be his in full measure. 18:21 Death and life are in the
      power of the tongue; and those to whom it is dear will have its fruit for
      their food. (BBE)

      When we lie or gossip we are using our tongue against our neighbor in the
      wrong way. God wants us to watch this little member of our body, as it can
      be very destructive. David cried out to God to come and save him from men
      who were like lions with teeth that were as spears and arrows, and their
      tongues were like a sharp sword.

      Psalm 57:3-4

      3) He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that
      would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.
      4) My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire,
      even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a
      sharp sword. (KJV)

      3He sends from heaven and saves me, rebuking those who hotly pursue me;
      Selah God sends his love and his faithfulness. 4I am in the midst of lions;
      I lie among ravenous beasts-men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose
      tongues are sharp swords. (NIV)

      57:3 He will send from heaven, and take me from the power of him whose
      desire is for my destruction. God will send out his mercy and his good
      faith. 57:4 My soul is among lions; I am stretched out among those who are
      on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and whose
      tongue is a sharp sword. (BBE)

      There is an old saying that goes like this: "Sticks and stones may break my
      bones, but names will never hurt me." After studying the Bible, I see this
      old adage is not true. Using unkind names or words against people is
      harmful. It is harmful to the one who uses them, as well as to the one it is
      being spoken against. Words are very powerful. Think about this, lawyers
      use words to build their cases. Our nation's laws are made up of volumes of
      words. Our national treaties are words written on documents. Words announce
      the daily news. Words are tools that are used to communicate with one
      another. In the beginning God used words to create the earth by speaking
      everything into existence. In the New Testament Jesus, Himself, is referred
      to as the living Word. The Bible is also known as the Word of God. Words are
      powerful - both good and evil words.

      That is why when someone bears false witness against another it is very
      painful to them. While on the positive side when we pray, our mouth is
      forming words in the spirit dimension that go out and they produce good
      things. And so we have to guard our mouth and watch that we do not let the
      wrong things come out, because on the negative side our words also produce
      things in the spirit realm that can be damaging and bring wounds to others.

      Prayer for the Day:

      Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for forgiving me of all the things that I
      have said that have not agreed with Your Word. Father, please cancel all of
      the negative words that I have spoken against anyone. Lord, I truly want to
      use my tongue in a godly manner by speaking those things that will bless and
      edify others. Teach me how to pray correctly and may my lips now speak Your
      Word. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable
      in Your sight. I ask this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Keep each other in PrAyer and display HuMility. Have a BlEssed day and stay
      ENcourage.

      God is Good All the Time!!!

      Scripture Of The Day and Daily Devotional are sent out Daily via email. If
      you would like to add any of your family members or friends to this
      distribution list, just reply to the email address listed below with their
      full email address and they will start receiving the Word Of God in the
      future. If you want your email address remove from this distribution list,
      please reply to the email address listed below requesting for your email
      address to be removed. Thank you.

      Stay Blessed,

      Riley

      <mailto:pass_the_word@...> pass_the_word@...