Parental Notification Legislation on Gay Issues

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2006
      Abortion groups seem to be having great sucessin Parental
      Notification Legislation on the abortion issue.

      Children are susceptible to pro gay activism, and the schools
      could be an incubator for molding and encouraging children into a
      gay identity and into gay culture.

      Most gay groups oppose Parental Notification Legislation, because
      it puts a check and balance in groups like GLESEN.
      Parental Notification Legislation should be passed but not only
      for abortion but also for gay activism.

      It also should be a federal law not just state.

      'Do-or-Die' Vote Looming on Parental Notification Legislation
      Pro-Family Groups Calling for Americans to Contact Their Senators
      Immediately

      By Jody Brown
      September 28, 2006

      (AgapePress) - Most schools require a parent's permission for a
      child to go on a field trip or even take an aspirin while at school.
      However, a minor girl can cross state lines to have an abortion --
      without her parents' knowledge. That, say parental-rights advocates,
      is exactly why the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act
      (CIANA) must be signed into law.

      Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has filed cloture on S. 403, which
      means the U.S. Senate could conduct a cloture vote on CIANA as early
      as Friday (September 29). It passed the bill once already in July,
      when it was known as the Child Custody Protection Act, on a 65-34
      bipartisan vote. But Democratic leaders had prevented it from going
      to conference committee with the House, which had passed a similar
      bill last year. On Tuesday, however, the U.S. House voted 264-153 in
      favor of S. 403, adding to the Senate's version a provision that
      would require abortion providers to notify parents of a minor
      seeking an abortion at least 24 hours before it takes place.

      If 60 senators vote for cloture on Friday, any filibuster attempts
      would be eliminated and the chamber would be required to conduct an
      up-or-down vote on the bill before adjourning -- which is scheduled
      for either Friday or Saturday. A simple majority is necessary for
      passage of CIANA.

      Tony Perkins
      Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council in the
      nation's capital, is urging concerned citizens to contact their
      senators -- now. "We must get at least 60 of these Senators to
      vote 'Yes' on cloture for CIANA, or the bill dies for the year," he
      explains. "Senators are very busy, but they must show up for the
      actual cloture vote, or we might not achieve 60 votes," he
      continues. "Please let them know you want them at the vote -- and to
      vote 'Yes' on cloture."

      CIANA would make it a federal offense for anyone to take a minor
      across state lines for an abortion with the intention of getting
      around a state law that requires parental involvement in the
      abortion decision. Perkins notes that polls indicate that upwards of
      80 percent of Americans support parental notification laws.

      "The Senate must protect the rights of parents and the welfare of
      minor girls nationwide," the FRC leader says. "This is the most
      important piece of pro-life legislation considered by Congress this
      session, and the Senate must get it done. It's crunch time."

      Perkins is not alone in his trumpeting of the necessity for the
      Senate to act on CIANA and protect the rights of parents. Lanier
      Swann, director of government relations for Concerned Women for
      America, says if the Senate fails to grant final passage of the
      bill, it will be doing the American people a "great disservice."
      Swann is urging the Senate to put aside what she calls "partisan
      antics" and send a strong bill to President Bush for his signature.

      "This legislation is essential to keep adult predators accountable
      for smuggling minors across state lines with the intent of bypassing
      state abortion laws," she asserts. "Once this bill is signed into
      law, parents will be able to take comfort in knowing that their
      daughters are being protected and can consult them before making a
      decision that has lifelong consequences."

      Wendy Wright
      And parental counsel in such a situation is critical, says CWA
      president Wendy Wright, because parents know their daughters
      best. "Parents can help her work through her options and seeks
      solutions she may not know about, such as adoption," she
      suggests. "Too often, when a minor is pregnant, it is the result of
      a manipulative or abusive relationship -- an adult taking advantage
      of a minor girl who may then force her to have an abortion to cover
      up his crime.

      "It is imperative that parents are afforded the opportunity to
      intervene in situations like this," Wright concludes.

      National Right to Life is equally adamant about the need for the
      Senate to pass the bill, and goes so far as to offer an
      interpretation of senators' response to the cloture vote. Because of
      the procedural situation, says the pro-life group, "an absence [for
      the cloture vote] will have the same effect as a pro-abortion vote."

      © 2006 AgapePress all
    • ctickle777
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
        Thanks to all for this information! Please keep us posted and I will
        commit to pray for this bill to pass. I wish someone on the
        political front would fight the Morning After Pill! It's really
        become an issue for me in recent months!

        Christa

        --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Laura"
        <exgaydates@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > suggests. "Too often, when a minor is pregnant, it is the result
        of
        > a manipulative or abusive relationship -- an adult taking
        advantage
        > of a minor girl who may then force her to have an abortion to
        cover
        > up his crime.
        >
        > "It is imperative that parents are afforded the opportunity to
        > intervene in situations like this," Wright concludes.
        >
        > National Right to Life is equally adamant about the need for the
        > Senate to pass the bill, and goes so far as to offer an
        > interpretation of senators' response to the cloture vote. Because
        of
        > the procedural situation, says the pro-life group, "an absence
        [for
        > the cloture vote] will have the same effect as a pro-abortion

      • Elizabeth Reese
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
          I am a little concerned that people are over consumed with the life of a fetus and underwhelmed with the outstanding poverty and deprivation that people in this country suffer because of poor wages, poor health care etc. Children are the largest population of homeless in this country- they are starving and have no place to sleep. And yet, people are more up in arms about abortion?? What does the sanctity of life mean to individuals who combat abortion and then ignore it in all other areas? We leave more people in substandard housing, violent nieghborhoods, underemployed and undereducated. Unfortunately, you cannot legislate good morals - like not drinking, not smoking, not getting an abortion, etc... but an advertising campaign might help. Abortion is horrible, I wish people did not do it. But what's worse is that we discard others' lives in a similar fashion and do it through ignorance.

          ctickle777 <ctickle777@...> wrote: Thanks to all for this information! Please keep us posted and I will