Re: [ExGDBd] Re: Let's Be Honest -- Homophobia, etc.

  • John
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 31, 2006
      You are (as they say) "right on the money"....a person using this term..99.9987678% of the time is merely trying to use language to cause you to be defensive (absent their being able to defend their position)..this is a typical ploy of, well when I use the word "liberal" people get upset, so let's just call them "non-thinkers"...

      As to the "homo" whatever adjective..it is somewhat natural for persons who are not affected by it to be repulsed or taken aback by it.....talking about it is one thing..when most people actually "see" the same sex showing affection in a sexual way there is a natural reaction can take one of a several routes from simple repulsion to one that can be harmful to others (which is NEVER acceptable)....I have seen this happen on all levels.

      Your "phobia's" are in essence the normative.....the great challenge with the activists in this realm (and others for that matter, where one is trying to inculcate into the population something which can't be supported in science or fact) is to try to paint what is normal to be abnormal or "discriminatory", or some other word they wish to use outside it's context in order to stir emotions on their side and make the normal person appear to be the one carrying the ill will, when it is usually them that is full of venom towards anyone who does not think as they do.....small minds, etc. atually they are the biggest biggots I have ever encountered (these sorts of "activists"..not just the pro gay ones.....ones in a lot of others fields too) in other fields who fail to think and cannot tell the difference between reality and rhetoric, a disease in and of itself and probably more damaging to an individual than anything I can think of as it precludes the ability to fathom the
      world around them, or themselves in any meaningful way.

      With undestanding comes the ability to seperate what would be the natural reaction and apply compassion instead...something we need to have for everyone for none of us is perfect by a long shot...we all have warts, just different ones.

      John

      woodywalker2000 <woodywalker2000@...> wrote:
      Thomas, Thanks for educating me. I'm sorting through this, and you
      have been very helpful. I do not have SSA, but I'm trying to
      understand.

      I had a spiritual issue with the Lord's claim that His grace is
      sufficient for all people. Has it been enough for people with SSA?
      Yes, it has. Thanks be to Him.

      I still have some things I'm sorting through. As a married person, I
      feel resentment towards those that want same-sex marriage. I've always
      felt marriage is honorable, and the bible teaches this. With same sex
      marriage I can no longer say it is honorable.

      I ask myself why are they doing this? Can't they just live together,
      and leave marriage out of it? I feel like the honor is being robbed
      from the institution of marriage, and it is being polluted. I can't
      help feeling this way.

      I have a similar feeling when two people of the opposite sex live
      together for a number of years and now they call it a "common law"
      marriage, as though it is now honorable. They never got married, but
      that's what it is called, and it is not honorable, it's just a
      longterm "live-together" relationship.

      Maybe I'm too old fashioned, maybe I need to change my outlook. Maybe,
      I'm hung up on respect. On the other-hand I am tired of all the
      euphemisms. The entire english language no longer makes sense:

      Are people that are "gay" really "happier" than everyone else? If they
      are more "gay" are they more "happy"?

      Another thing: What in the heck is a homophobe? This is about the most
      confusing word in the english language. As a christian that believes
      the bible, and believes homosexuality is a sin, I am automatically
      labeled a "homophobe."

      "Phobia" means irrational fear of something. I don't understand how a
      moral code based on the bible means I am irrational. Under this same
      taxonomy I'm also Liarphobic, Cursingphobic, murderphobic,
      fornicationphobic, Theftphobic, witchcraftphobic, etc, etc, etc. In
      other words if I disapprove of the devil then that means I'm afraid of
      him. I couldn't disagree more, and I refuse to give him power that he
      does not have.

      So why the choice of words "homophobe?" When someone uses this label I
      can only conclude there is no desire for any kind of a dialogue,
      because first of all I don't agree with their assessment of me, and
      secondly I don't understand what they really mean when they say it.

      Correct me if I'm wrong in my assessment: When someone that is pro-gay
      labels somebody else as a "homophobe" what they actually mean is they
      really don't care what that person thinks or feels -- as far as they
      are concerned a "homophobe" is dead. There is no longer any purpose in
      a dialogue, and this is because of their own personal prejudice.

      If someone calls me a homophobe, then I should just stop talking to
      them.

      It sounds like people that say the word "homophobic" are telling us
      they can't have a rational discussion period.

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Morey

      Message 52 of 52 , Aug 9, 2006
        Woody, good questions you ask and Henry, I respect you more than you know. Bridget
        www.1stbooks.com/bookview/12053<http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/12053>