[ExGDBd] Re: Three Factors of Healing

  • ctickle777
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2006
      I understand what you are asking, but my first inclination of an
      answer to this question is that Exodus isn't the end all. Allowing God
      through Jesus Christ to live in and through a person IS the end all.
      Sin, temptation, and those actions and behaviors are only the symptoms
      or effects...Christ is the end all. What I gathered from Henry's post
      is that Exodus offers a Christ-focused, accountability-based system,
      that when practiced with true diligence, leads a person to healing. I
      think without a solid program and support network, leaving
      homosexuality, and reprogramming one's mind to the truth of who he/she
      is in Christ, would be impossible. It's impossible to break free from
      the bondage of ANY sin when one is not reprogrammed to the truth...so
      in my opinion, that is where Exodus comes in.

      But, at the same time, Exodus isn't the answer...it simply provides
      people with information so that those who truly seek healing, are
      equipped to seek the Lord. Same-sex-attraction encompasses so much in
      a person's life. Homosexuality isn't one of those sins one commits
      every now and then...it's a lifestyle, a mind-set, and an emotional
      bondage. I would tend to think that such a thing isn't very easily
      overcome. But, as with all sin and the desires of the flesh, you know,
      it never ends. From my standpoint, when I allow God to conquer one
      battle in and through me, another one pops up! I think that is part of
      being human and having flesh, so it's all a lifelong journey when you
      think about it. Without some form of mentoring, discipleship, and
      therapy, all of us, including those who don't struggle with SSA,
      wouldn't grow in Christ. Henry, I really enjoyed reading this! Thanks!

      My thoughts,

      Christa :)

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, David Arakelian
      <darakelian@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > > member. They are not designed to be the final relational
      > > attachments a
      > > > person makes; however, in order to overcome an issue with so much
      > > > shame and guilt attached, it is vital that a person know he/she is
      > > not
      > > > alone.
      > > >
      > > > Support Group of Friends
      > > > This type of group is also the ideal place to practice what is
      > > learned
      > > > in therapy; however, it consists of one?s primary group of friends
      > > who
      > > > agree to practice biblical accountability. From this place of
      > > > relational security, one is able to venture out into the larger
      > > church
      > > > group.
      > > >
      > > > The Church Enabling Love
      > > > ?There is no other activity which so completely identifies the
      > > > Christian and the Church with its Lord than love? (VanEngen 54).
      > > > Sometimes, because of relational brokenness, people are unable to
      > > > experience healthy intimacy and love. If the Church is called to
      > > love,
      > > > it must also work to make people able to accept and give love
      > > > appropriately. Throckmorton?s research supports the three-fold
      > > support
      > > > system.
      > > >
      > > > This relational system is for all Christians seeking to fulfill
      > > their
      > > > call as believers and members of the body of Christ. It may be
      > > > idealistic, and the Church may have a long way to go until this
      > > system
      > > > is the norm instead of the exception; however, "if the Church can
      > > > rediscover its God-given identity, and become alive in
      > > spirituality,
      > > > the most exhilarating part of its history may lie ahead. ?
      > > Everything
      > > > depends on our ability to catch a new vision of the church as it
      > > ought
      > > > to be, on our willingness to change where necessary, and above all
      > > on
      > > > our determination to keep our lives continually open to spiritual
      > > > renewal.? There must be movement and development from our
      > > conception
      > > > of what the Church is toward our commitment to what the Church must
      > > > become" (VanEngen 65).
      > > >
      > > > Sources Consulted: 1) Throckmorton, PhD, Warren E. Interview via
      > > > email. December 12-13, 2002. 2) Throckmorton, PhD, Warren E.
      > > > Unpublished research. Presented at NARTH Conference, November
      > > 2002. 3)
      > > > VanEngen, Charles. God?s Missionary People: Rethinking the Purpose
      > > of
      > > > the Local Church. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1991. 4) Woolsey,
      > > > Ron. Interview via email. December 11-12, 2002.

      > > > Copyright (c) 2003, All rights reserved
      > > > Exodus International-North America
      > > >

      > > Questions about the group? Contact our Director & Founder, Alan
      Levering,