Re: Breathing humanity into Brokeback

  • gopurdue28
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      I thought that this was an ex-gay discussion board?
      It sounds like you are supporting this film?
      I think this is just helping to confuse people further

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Laura"

      http://www.townhall.com/opinion/books_entertainment/be_columns/chadth
      > ompson/2006/01/31/184400.html
      >

      > I read a review of Brokeback Mountain, the conservative author of
      > which actually felt bad that he had felt bad during the movie. The
      > heartache experienced by the characters in the film had elicited a
      > degree of compassion and empathy in him, yet this author's hatred
      > toward the act of homosexuality had so inoculated him against
      seeing
      > the true struggle behind the issue that it seemed like he actually
      > felt guilty for internalizing the humanity in Brokeback Mountain.
      >
      > As much as the movie tilts at the windmills of our country's Judeo-
      > Christian foundations, and in doing so ravenously angers its
      > conservative watchdogs, the film still serves a noble purpose. It
      > opens the eyes of those who, before seeing the film, had no idea
      how
      > darkness looms for those who live in fear of telling their friends
      > and family that they are gay.
      >
      > My friend Ben put it best when he said, "Much of the homophobia in
      > America is built on the human ability to ignore another's
      humanity,
      > and this film breathes humanity back into the issue."
      >
      > I know, just as much as anyone, how desperately this breath of
      > humanity is needed. Having worked for a conservative political
      > organization in the state of Iowa, I have witnessed Christian
      people
      > treating very disrespectfully those with whom they disagree on
      moral
      > and social issues like homosexuality. Therefore, as much as the
      > movie teaches us about how to absorb the sufferings of another,
      its
      > purpose is dignified. However, to the extent that the film seeks
      > blur the line between acceptance of a behavior and acceptance of a
      > person, its purpose is harmful.
      >
      > As someone who has personally struggled with, and overcome,
      unwanted
      > homosexual attractions, I could resonate with the hunger I saw in
      > the film's characters, Jack and Ennis. They knew they were missing
      > something, and they each thought it was the other.
      >
      > To understand fully the dynamics of the struggle, one must realize
      > that homosexuality isn't really a sexual issue. Becoming sexually
      > attracted to someone of the same gender is just the symptom of a
      > much deeper emotional need. It is the symptom of a need for
      healthy,
      > non-sexual intimacy with one's own gender—a legitimate need that
      > went unchecked during the childhoods of so many pre-homosexual
      boys
      > and girls.
      >
      > Communicator Sinclair Rogers once said, "Temptation is the
      > exploitation of a real need." And so it is with homosexuality.
      >
      > I believe this movie is harmful in that it paints sexual
      expression
      > as the proper way to extinguish the heartache and loneliness
      > experienced by those in the gay and lesbian community.
      Furthermore,
> [...]
      society's
      > answer to the pain experienced by Jack and Ennis is inferior to
      > God's answer.
      >
      > I'm also disturbed that the film suggests that Jack and Ennis were
      > at the complete mercy of a homophobic society and had absolutely
      no
      > power to overcome their circumstances or make their own choices.
      > This portrayal is unfair to the thousands of men and women who,
      with
      > God's help, have chosen to reject their homosexual attractions and
      > are experiencing a genuine transformation of their sexual
      > identities.
      >
      > The truly ironic part of the film is that almost every single
      scene
      > contains a visual acknowledgment of God's existence, along with a
      > practical denial of it.
      >
      > The apostle Paul says, "Since the creation of the world God's
      > invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been
      > clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that
      > people are without excuse."
      >
      > The scenery portrayed in Brokeback Mountain—the rock formations,
      the
      > sunrise, the skies, the rivers—they all testify to the existence
      of
      > God and to the greatness of God. Yet the characters in the film
      > acted in exactly the manner that one would expect someone to act
      who
      > didn't believe in God.
      >
      > After all, isn't that what this really is all about? The existence
      > of God? The character of God? The power of God? One of the most
      > famous lines in the film is: "If you can't change [your sexuality]
      > you just have to stand it." From a human perspective, changing
      > something as deeply ingrained as one's sexual orientation
      certainly
      > seems impossible, which is exactly why the world looks at people
      > like me and assumes I'm a fake. But if God really is who he says
      he
      > is—if God really can heal the sick, turn water into wine, and even
      > bring the dead to life—then overcoming homosexuality wouldn't seem
      > so difficult, would it?
      >
      > I suspect that many who saw Brokeback Mountain are in much the
      same
      > position as the disciples were when Jesus outlined for them the
      cost
      > of serving him. They responded to Christ's admonition to give "all
      > they had" by saying "that's impossible."
      >
      > And Jesus replied: "With man this is impossible, but with God all
      > things are possible."
      >
      > I once heard someone say that it's time for those who struggle
      with
      > really big things like homosexuality to stop telling God how big
      > their "mountain" is, and start telling their mountain how big God
      > is.
      >
      > Today, it seems, Brokeback is the mountain that needs to be told

    • Nieuwleven
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        Well, brother, if you read the whole post, you'll realise that it is
        fully ex-gay, by a public ex-gay young man, and if you go some posts
        behind you will also find our official statement on the film. We are
        all concerned of the confusion that the film brings, and therefore we
        admitted this last comment posted by Laura and originally by Chad,
        both trusted sources.

        Be blessed,

        Armand
        Co-Mod