Re: [ExGDBd] How do you find a counselor or group...

  • nfttm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hi Kate - someone on this group has talked about on-line support groups as well - maybe they will read this and respond with one. Also, contact Desert Stream Mininstries in Kansas City, Missouri and ask them for a referral in your area. Please keep writing and I am sure the people on this group can help you too they are very wise and loving - sometimes a Bible study at church is a good beginning until you can find a support group too.

      Kate <fih_100@...> wrote: when you don't have money to spend on one. My church doesn't have any
      counselors and I don't know where to look for one.
      I contacted some ex gay groups but they are all more than an hour away
      from me adn my vehicle is not reliable.
      I feel I need to talk to someone to figure out what is going on with
      me..

      Questions about the group? Contact our Director & Founder, Alan Levering, directly at: ncxds@...

      The Ex-Gay Discussion Board is a ministry of NCXDS Ex-Gay Internet Christian Ministries

      MINISTRY LINKS!! Feel free to link to these pages on your own website:

      Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion Board: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard> | Spanish Language Discussion Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgayenespa | "Wounded Heart" Abused Men's Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woundedheart> | Chat: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard/chat>

      Lord jesus christ Christianity today Kingdom of god

    • Henry B
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
        Kate,

        Another thought came to mind...A number of therapists also offer
        counseling by telephone for people in other parts of the country.
        I think that even Dr Nicolosi does this.

        Henry

        --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Henry B"
        <borych2003@y...> wrote:

        > Hi Kate,
        >
        > The best source for contacts for counselors/therapists is NARTH
        > (National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality).
        > They are in Encino, CA. Phone: (818) 789-4440
        > They have a network of people they work with around the country.
        >
        > http://narth.com/
        >
        > They can probably give you a list of counselors in your area.
        >
        > Where are you from? General vicinity is fine. Maybe others on this
        > group might be able to give you contacts near you.
        >
        > Have you tried asking the Exodus groups for names of counselors near
        > you that they are familiar with?
        > Also try larger churches in the area, they may have counselors on
        > staff that might work for you.
        >
        > RE: >when you don't have money to spend on one.....
        > Some Christian counselors (I know one in my area) that will work on
        > a volunteer basis. They have people volunteer at their churches to
        > get credit for/towards therapy. I don't remember exactly how he
        > figures it....for instance for every 10 hours of your volunteer work
        > (church cleaning, secretarial work, helping in nursery etc) he would
        > give a 45 therapy session. He reserved one day a week for people like
        > this.
        >
        > Maybe a Christian counselor in your area would do something similar
        > if you are not able to pay their regular fees. It doesn't hurt to ask.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Blessings,
        >
        > Henry
        >

        > --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <fih_100@y...>
        wrote:

        > > when you don't have money to spend on one. My church doesn't have any
        > > counselors and I don't know where to look for one.
        > > I contacted some ex gay groups but they are all more than an hour
        away
        > > from me adn my vehicle is not reliable.
        > > I feel I need to talk to someone to figure out what is going on with
        > > me..

      • Todd
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
          Kate,

          I started seeing my counselor through NARTH, so I second Henry's post.

          Also, I don't know if you are involved in a church or not, butthe church I go to offers help to family that can't afford counseling. The only thing is usually the Pastor becomes aware of the need for counseling because the person goes to him and talks to him about his problem/need. Not sure if you feel comfortable telling a Pastor about your SSA, but it's something to consider. (I didn't really feel comfortable with it,at least not yet, so I pursued counseling on my own and worked out a deal with the counselor on my own.)

          Henry B <borych2003@...> wrote:
          Hi Kate,

          The best source for contacts for counselors/therapists is NARTH
          (National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality).
          They are in Encino, CA. Phone: (818) 789-4440
          They have a network of people they work with around the country.

          http://narth.com/

          They can probably give you a list of counselors in your area.

          Where are you from? General vicinity is fine. Maybe others on this
          group might be able to give you contacts near you.

          Have you tried asking the Exodus groups for names of counselors near
          you that they are familiar with?
          Also try larger churches in the area, they may have counselors on
          staff that might work for you.

          RE: >when you don't have money to spend on one.....
          Some Christian counselors (I know one in my area) that will work on
          a volunteer basis. They have people volunteer at their churches to
          get credit for/towards therapy. I don't remember exactly how he
          figures it....for instance for every 10 hours of your volunteer work
          (church cleaning, secretarial work, helping in nursery etc) he would
          give a 45 therapy session. He reserved one day a week for people like
          this.

          Maybe a Christian counselor in your area would do something similar
          if you are not able to pay their regular fees. It doesn't hurt to ask.

          Hope this helps.

          Blessings,

          Henry

          --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <fih_100@y...> wrote:

          > when you don't have money to spend on one. My church doesn't have any
          > counselors and I don't know where to look for one.
          > I contacted some ex gay groups but they are all more than an hour away
          > from me adn my vehicle is not reliable.
          > I feel I need to talk to someone to figure out what is going on with
          > me..

          Questions about the group? Contact our Director & Founder, Alan Levering, directly at: ncxds@...

          The Ex-Gay Discussion Board is a ministry of NCXDS Ex-Gay Internet Christian Ministries

          MINISTRY LINKS!! Feel free to link to these pages on your own website:

          Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion Board: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard> | Spanish Language Discussion Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgayenespa | "Wounded Heart" Abused Men's Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woundedheart> | Chat: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard/chat>

        • Kate
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
            Thank you all for respoding.
            I live in WV..I know there is a group from exodus I believe that
            meets about an hour from me.. not finding many people in my area but
            will call Narth number.