To respond or to not respond

  • Nieuwleven
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 3:01 AM
      Dears, this article (click on the link below) has been published in
      the last issue of the British Medical Journal. After some superficial
      research on the author, it seems that Dr. Murphy leads the concept
      of "ethics" and what is so called "moral" basically in the US but
      also in the rest of the world.

      http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/330/7498/1033

      The point is that this constitutes a challenge. First of all, he
      refers to a controversial article by Mustanski BS et al that we have
      already discussed on the board. What is striking is Murphy's
      statement "Another study from Dean Hamer's laboratory at the US
      National Institutes of Health indicates that genes may influence
      homosexuality in males" (cites the article of Mustanski) and then
      writes "The study involved a complete genome scan, the first ever
      conducted for the study of sexual orientation. Like the others before
      it, this study is far from conclusive, but it adds to the growing
      sense that genes play a role in male sexual orientation." He ends,
      however with a very balanced sentence: "it is better to approach
      human sexuality in full knowledge of its nature (so far as we can
      know it) than to presume that we already know enough, or that we
      already do enough, to protect men, women, and children from social
      mistreatment rooted in scientific half truths."

      I think that his article is biased. His first statement is not
      scientifically supported; though the second is :-) I mean, science
      has not yet given any proof of the existence of a gay gene, and they
      are already extrapolating the consequences for unborn children.

      My challenge is to answer this personal view, as a personal view.
      Tomeke are you in? This is a serious proposal, and since you are on
      the writing papers sector, either we could write an answer together
      either two answers and submit it/them online.

      The question is to react or to not react, to respond or to not
      respond ...

      With friendly greetings and blessings,

      Armand