Re: [ExGDBd] Conference

  • Thomas Morey
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
      Christa,

      Although I don't think I'll be able to go to the Exodus Conference in NC in July, because of obligations to the program even after I finish the dissertation. And, of course, I'm not sure whether there will be any classes on evangelism, either. If there is, I believe the particular stage and type of evangelism that you could benefit from the most is one that teaches concepts concerning befriending others, or friendship evangelism, which is considered by many gifted in evangelism to be the first stage. If you're not aware of it already, the One-to-One Evangelism International model calls the first stage just that, friendship evangelism, and utilizes the acrostic C-R-E-S-T, for easier access to one's working memory:

      (1) CREATING the right conditions for MAKING FRIENDS.
      (2) RAISING questions about THEIR CHURCH BACKGROUND.
      (3) EXCHANGING topics about YOUR CHURCH.
      (4) SHARING your TESTIMONY.
      (5) TESTING with the DIAGNOSTIC QUESTIONS what they believe.

      It is definitely meant for reacquainting yourself with milestone friends, picking up where you once left off, as well as with co-workers, neighbors and members of various groups and organizations with which you may associate. See www.ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dcarlton121/webdoc2.htm for more info. This evangelism model incorporates most of D. James Kennedy's Evangelism Explosion program for its later stages, so as not to "reinvent the wheel".

      If you haven't read it already, I also recommend chapter 2 "Whoever Loves First" and chapter 3 "The Homophobia Stops Here" from Chad Thompson's book entitled "Loving Homosexuals As Jesus Would" as a resource, as well as this fairly new book called "The Unchurched Next Door: Understanding Faith Stages As Keys To Sharing Your Faith" by Thom S. Rainer. You can get it at Christianbook.com for $14.99.

      Lastly, it is my observation that the most formidable obstacle to reaching the GLBT population is not their love of the type of lifestyle that they live, as intimidating as that can be at times. Rather, just like most people with which we must associate, it is rather their secularist world and life view. It is usually quite a bit easier to reach "churched" GLBT folks, than die-hard secularist "everstraights". It is partly why steps 2 and 5 of C-R-E-S-T are so important. It is the former population, the "churched" GLBT folks, that appear to seek out the HA, Courage, Evergreen, Jonah, and Exodus ministries, with minimal focus and effort in seeking out GLBT folks actually coming from the representatives of these all important ministries. Yes, GLBT issues are certainly interrelated with the secularist philosophy of life. However, secularism is the root of this particular type of fruit (no pun intended). The marriage of secularism to the luxury and extremes of individualism, freedom of
      choice, and the affluent American way of life certainly have revealed their ugly hydra heads in this day and age in America. As you are fully aware, if upholding human rights and these wonderful societal privileges are not qualified and grounded by our Judeo-Christian heritage, then spiritual anarchy will prevail, with the breakdown of all our divinely sanctioned cultural boundaries and institutions, including the church, marriage, family, sexuality, gender, as well as respect and honor for federal, state and local governmental authority. It is as Judges 21:25 puts it, "Because there was no king in the land, everyone did what was right in his own eyes."

      The tenants of secularism have their roots in the evolutionary theory and the theory of relativity. Upholding their "moral" maxims of sensitivity to cultural diversity (except for the various essentialist views, such as Christianity, of course) and the wholesale acceptance of truth being subjective in nature causes its faithful to be unreceptive, resistant, or even down right hostile to the message of the gospel. As I have shared before, out of all my 24 PsyD classmates, not even one claimed to believe in the existence of truth being objective in nature and an absolute. Today, there is little to no tolerance for absolutes, let alone the divine right and authority over individuals. Have you ever heard the words "discrimination" or "judgement" used in a positive sense by the media, or by any professors of our American colleges and universities? Terms such as these are treated as an anathema, accursed by secularists.

      So, then, how can we successfully bring the message of the gospel to bear with the popularity of such an ominous and diametrically opposing world and life view as secularism reiging in the hearts and minds of most Americans? We do this by letting them observe our faithfulness to God, which reveals the truth in our practice of holiness as being sharper than a razor, and the Lord's supernatural abiding love for them and for others through us. And, as St. Francis of Assisi said, "...and use words if you must." Their respect for us and trust in us will grow, although they may as well be still quite contemptuous towards what we believe. Our witness will inevitably place many in a crisis in which world and life view to really put their trust, since ours appears to work so well for us. Apologetics and debates, such as the evidentialist approach of Josh McDowell, don't seem to reap the positive results that it once had when unbelievers at least believed in absolutes, if not monotheism. And,
      although the empowered evangelical movement, performing miracles through the use of supernatural gifts while sharing the message of the gospel, as Jesus did, has had more success in these latter days, it is still predominantly lifestyle or friendship evangelism, and I suppose it will always be that way.

      I hope this helps.

      Blessings,

      Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
        Dear Christa,

        Tom's answer to your post is very wise. We are living the days
        of "fellowship evangelisation" ... To my understanding, God is callin
        all of us to share His love in a person-to-person approach. It means to
        just "be who you are" in Jesus for the other people. Every believer is
        strategically located to reach a number of people that wouldn't be
        reached otherwise.

        You will see that gay practicing people seem to be very "strong" in
        their belifs and actions thereafter; however, after breaking the first
        line of fellowship, and when deep issues can come out, you'll realise
        that they are actually very fragile, desperately seeking for love. I
        know it firsthand :-)

        When still going out in the lifestyle, it was very common to find
        people in pubs or disco's that were simply sad, and after two words,
        their sorrows came out ... it is a lie that gays are "happy people"
        that for sure. This opened my mind to the fragility that we all have as
        individuals and as ssa-strugglers particularly. The way you love them
        may make a difference. I remember telling to one lady in church about
        my struggles and asking her to "keep the secret" ... and she did, she
        prayed for me and loved me unconditionally. I think that without
        that "proof" of God's love through her, I would probably never turned
        my back to the lifestyle.

        As far as I know you, you are a loving person, and truly caring for
        others. That is essential to lead people to eternal life in Jesus
        Christ. I encourage you to keep using your gifts ;-) It is courageous
        for you to attend the Exodus conference!

        Hope it helps.

        Be blessed,

        ARMAND

        --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "ctickle777"
        <ctickle777@y...> wrote:

        > I'm only going to be able to attend the Conference for a couple of
        > days during the week. I can't take a week off from motherhood after
        > having a newborn, so if anyone has any suggestions, and could
        > recommend any specific days/speakers I would greatly appreciate it.

      • pfox_exgays
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2006
          Ex-Gay Conference Coming to Montgomery County, Maryland:

          Are you concerned about the growing prevalence of homosexuality in
          our society without any alternative viewpoints? Join Focus on the
          Family for the Love Won Out conference and learn how to
          compassionately and more effectively respond to homosexuality.

          Love Won Out is a dynamic one-day seminar that comprehensively
          addresses the issue of homosexuality, from its effects on family and
          friends to its impact on our schools and culture. Conference
          speakers are experts in the field of homosexuality and gender
          identity, and include former gays and lesbians. Love Won Out exists
          to empower you to compassionately respond to the often misunderstood
          issue of homosexuality in our culture.

          Join Focus on the Family in Montgomery County, Maryland on Saturday
          June 10th, 2006 from 8 am to 5 pm. The conference fee is $50 in
          advance and $60 for walk-up registration. To register, call 1-800-A-
          FAMILY or register online at www.lovewonout.com. Hurry! Seating is
          limited.