Disallusioned

  • richy06
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
      I am new to the group. I am from the City of Boston. After a past
      bad experience with an ex gay reparation group 10 years ago. I
      decided after much Internet Research to try again. I found a list of
      counselors from a transformation website. Even though I have big
      time doubts, I e-mailed a Counselor in my area. She never responded.
      I then called several days later. She was very abrupt,
      unprofessional and rude. I was nervous and unsure. I recieved from
      her a "What are you looking for" "Are you Christian" I was like can
      I ask a few questions. She asked me if I had insurance. I said yes.
      I have a very large and common HMO plan in the Northeast. She did
      not accept it. She then said it would cost me $150:00 dollars for
      the first intial visit and $80:00 dollars a week after. I
      responded, I thought you were a ministry? I can't afford that in
      additon to my current bills. So I guess it comes down to , If you
      have the Doe there is help. If you don't hold your breath and wait
      for a miracle. I did this only after I kept recieving advice not to
      go it alone. Well I will now go it alone. To be truthful. If it
      was not the constant reminder from some that I am going to Hell, I
      would not even have tried.
    • Bryan
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
        Until I found out about a local SSA support group, I took advantage of
        the message board, Men Can Change (#2), and its members. When someone
        posted about a group or event, I followed up. I looked into New
        Warriors, Journey Into Manhood, and Living Waters.

        Instant Message conversations have helped me a LOT.

        It's not easy, richy06. Don't give up (again.) It took me a long time
        dealing with my SSA until I felt comfortable telling church staff
        about my problem. They shortly connected me to a local SSA suppor group.

        Working "through the grapevine" or networking can be slow and of
        questionable effectiveness. I had to be aggressive so my needs were
        not overlooked. But it was helpful for me. I am aware of local groups
        with strict curricula, or stacks of application papers. I was hoping
        for a more open and casual environment, and in a couple weeks will
        attend my first face to face support group.

        --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "richy06" <richy06@y...>
        wrote:

        > I am new to the group. I am from the City of Boston. After a past
        > bad experience with an ex gay reparation group 10 years ago. I
        > decided after much Internet Research to try again. I found a list of
        > counselors from a transformation website. Even though I have big
        > time doubts, I e-mailed a Counselor in my area. She never responded.
        > I then called several days later. She was very abrupt,
        > unprofessional and rude. I was nervous and unsure. I recieved from
        > her a "What are you looking for" "Are you Christian" I was like can
        > I ask a few questions. She asked me if I had insurance. I said yes.
        > I have a very large and common HMO plan in the Northeast. She did
        > not accept it. She then said it would cost me $150:00 dollars for
        > the first intial visit and $80:00 dollars a week after. I
        > responded, I thought you were a ministry? I can't afford that in
        > additon to my current bills. So I guess it comes down to , If you
        > have the Doe there is help. If you don't hold your breath and wait
        > for a miracle. I did this only after I kept recieving advice not to
        > go it alone. Well I will now go it alone. To be truthful. If it
        > was not the constant reminder from some that I am going to Hell, I
        > would not even have tried.
      • Alan Levering
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
          There are many ex-gay ministries (with FREE support
          group meetings) in the Boston area. Look on my
          website for contact information (link at bottom of
          this post).

          Most also have some type of "lay" couseling.

          Blessings for the New Year!

          --Alan

          --- richy06 <richy06@...> wrote:

          > I am new to the group. I am from the City of Boston.
          > After a past
          > bad experience with an ex gay reparation group 10
          > years ago. I
          > decided after much Internet Research to try again. I
          > found a list of
          > counselors from a transformation website. Even
          > though I have big
          > time doubts, I e-mailed a Counselor in my area. She
          > never responded.
          > I then called several days later. She was very
          > abrupt,
          > unprofessional and rude. I was nervous and unsure. I
          > recieved from
          > her a "What are you looking for" "Are you
          > Christian" I was like can
          > I ask a few questions. She asked me if I had
          > insurance. I said yes.
          > I have a very large and common HMO plan in the
          > Northeast. She did
          > not accept it. She then said it would cost me
          > $150:00 dollars for
          > the first intial visit and $80:00 dollars a week
          > after. I
          > responded, I thought you were a ministry? I can't
          > afford that in
          > additon to my current bills. So I guess it comes
          > down to , If you
          > have the Doe there is help. If you don't hold your
          > breath and wait
          > for a miracle. I did this only after I kept
          > recieving advice not to
          > go it alone. Well I will now go it alone. To be
          > truthful. If it
          > was not the constant reminder from some that I am
          > going to Hell, I
          > would not even have tried.

          =====
          -- In Him who leads us to the Absolute Truth,
          Alan Levering; Founder, NCXDS Ex-Gay Internet Ministries

          Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion Board: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard> | Spanish Language Discussion Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgayenespa | "Wounded Heart" Abused Men's Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woundedheart> | Chat: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard/chat>
          Feel free to link to these pages on your own website!!!

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Richy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
            I checked the list and none are relevent. The few in the Boston area are old links and outdated. The exodus one I had dealt with in the past, was the one I had issues with. I never felt any type of help was forthcoming. Like I stated after today, I realized that to most it is an industry and a career path in which to make money. Whether it be in the sale of books, cd,s and if one seeks counseling, one has to have money or the response is God Bless. They should be concerned that God bless them. Like I said , I am done.

            Alan Levering <ncxds2@...> wrote:There are many ex-gay ministries (with FREE support

            =====
            -- In Him who leads us to the Absolute Truth,
            Alan Levering; Founder, NCXDS Ex-Gay Internet Ministries

            Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion Board: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard> | Spanish Language Discussion Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgayenespa | "Wounded Heart" Abused Men's Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woundedheart> | Chat: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard/chat>
            Feel free to link to these pages on your own website!!!

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

            Questions about the group? Contact our Director & Founder, Alan Levering, directly at: ncxds@...

            The Ex-Gay Discussion Board is a ministry of NCXDS Ex-Gay Internet Christian Ministries

            MINISTRY LINKS!! Feel free to link to these pages on your own website:

            Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion Board: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard> | Spanish Language Discussion Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgayenespa | "Wounded Heart" Abused Men's Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woundedheart> | Chat: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard/chat>

          • Henry B
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
              Hi Richy,

              Welcome to the board. My name is Henry and I am from central
              Connecticut (about 1.5 - 2 hours from Boston). I attend a support
              group in Springfield, MA.

              Sorry to hear of your experience with this counselor/therapist.
              Not all help costs money. There are a few groups/ministries in your
              area that you might want to check out. Alive-in-Christ (an Exodus
              Applicant ministry) is right in the city. This is a restart under NEW
              leadership so is not the same ministry that you may have attended.
              Also there are 4 Living Waters programs that meet in churches in your
              area. There is also an Exodus affiliate in Uxbridge MA. So you have
              your choice of 6+ ministries within an hours drive from you. (see
              info below)

              Oh BTW ReCreation will be having a Sexual Healing conference soon in
              Uxbridge MA. I have the brochure somewhere. I will e-mail the info
              when I find it.

              Again Welcome to the group and hope you feel at home.

              Blessings,

              Henry

              MASS (updated info)

              Boston, MA:

              Alive in Christ - a ministry at Park Street Church
              for those struggling with homosexuality and lesbianism.
              Address: 1 Park St., Boston, MA 02108
              Tel: 617-623-2033
              E-mail: aliveinchrist@...
              Web: http://www.alive-in-christ.net

              Uxbridge, MA:

              Pathways - branch of ReCreation Ministries (NH)
              Address: 54 Eric Dr., Uxbridge, MA 01569
              Tel: 508-278-7631
              E-mail: ReCreationNH@...

              LIVING WATERS and CROSSCURRENT/SALT Programs held at:
              http://www.desertstream.org/Mass.htm

              Cambridge, MA

              Living Waters/CrossCurrent programs at Cambridge Vineyard Christian
              Fellowship

              Contact: Christopher Greco
              E-mail: christopher@...
              Tel. 617-252-0005
              Fax 617-252-0805

              Web: www.cambridgevineyard.org/offerings/pastoralC
              are/relationships.htm

              Framingham, MA

              The Vineyard Christian Fellowship - Metrowest
              Address: 40 California Ave., Framingham, MA 01702
              Tel: 508-875-6060
              Fax: 508-875-3348

              contact: Dave or Ellen Cressman
              contact tel: 508-234-7702
              website: www.vineyardmetrowest.org/smallgroups.shtml
              e-mail: LivingWatersMW@...

              Jamaica Plain:

              Arise Urban Ministries
              Coordinator Information: Nick Wise-Rowe Sheila Wise-Rowe
              Address: 48 South St. Jamaica Plain, MA
              Phone: (617) 522-5734 Ext.
              E-mail: ariseboston@...
              Note: 6 mi from Boston Region

              N. Dartmouth, MA:

              South Coast Vineyard Christian Fellowship
              Coordinator Information: Janice Dunnet
              Address: PO Box 79337 N. Dartmouth, MA 02747
              Phone: (508) 990-3343 Ext.
              Note: 64 mi south of Boston

              ALSO:

              Springfield, MA

              Renewing Hope Ministries
              961 Wilbraham Rd., Springfield, MA 01109
              Tel: (413) 783-6636
              Fax (413) 783-5578
              Email: danieleddings@...
              Web: renewinghope.homestead.com

              -- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Richy <richy06@y...>
              wrote:
              > I checked the list and none are relevent. The few in the Boston area
              are old links and outdated. The exodus one I had dealt with in the
              past, was the one I had issues with. I never felt any type of help was
              forthcoming. Like I stated after today, I realized that to most it is
              an industry and a career path in which to make money. Whether it be in
              the sale of books, cd,s and if one seeks counseling, one has to have
              money or the response is God Bless. They should be concerned that God
              bless them. Like I said , I am done.

              > Alan Levering <ncxds2@y...> wrote:There are many ex-gay ministries
              (with FREE support
              > group meetings) in the Boston area. Look on my
              > website for contact information (link at bottom of
              > this post).
              >
              > Most also have some type of "lay" couseling.
              >
              > Blessings for the New Year!
              >
              > --Alan
            • Henry B
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
                Information for those in the Northeastern part of the US:

                4th Annual Sexual Healing Seminar
                http://www.recreationministries.com/news.htm

                THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE PAST HURTS CAN BE HEALED

                February 25-27, 2005

                Sexual brokenness has become all too common in our society today.
                Join us as we bring our hurts to God so He can touch us and heal
                what is broken, to turn our pain from life into a victory of God.

                -SPONSORED BY ReCREATION MINISTRIES (an Exodus Affilaiate)
                http://www.recreationministries.com

                Friday night 7-9pm / Saturday 9am-9pm

                Sunday morning 9:30-12pm

                Location:

                Uxbridge Nazarene Church
                154 Douglas130 Douglas St.
                Uxbridge MA 01569

                For more information or to register

                please call 508-278-7631 or

                email us at Newday1971@...

                Send e-mails to ReCreationNH@... with questions or comments.

                -- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Henry B"
                <borych2003@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > past, was the one I had issues with. I never felt any type of help
                was
                > forthcoming. Like I stated after today, I realized that to most it
                is
                > an industry and a career path in which to make money. Whether it
                be in
                > the sale of books, cd,s and if one seeks counseling, one has to
                have
                > money or the response is God Bless. They should be concerned that
                God
                > bless them. Like I said , I am done.
                > >
                > > Alan Levering <ncxds2@y...> wrote:There are many ex-gay
                ministries
                > (with FREE support
                > > group meetings) in the Boston area. Look on my
                > > website for contact information (link at bottom of
                > > this post).
                > >
                > > Most also have some type of "lay" couseling.

              • Katherine Davies
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
                  Dear Disillusioned,

                  Stay in there. I too have had a difficult time finding support.
                  The Living Waters in my area turned out to have two unhealthy
                  leaders, there is no support group for women, and I have had to
                  drive two hours to find counseling. And I live in a metropolitan
                  area.

                  Try every church in the phone book and see if they have a support
                  group. Call Narth and see if they know of anyone. Ask to pay
                  less. Or go at least once a month. Just because someone was rude
                  does not mean the end of the line. You must keep trying. And use
                  this group.

                  Kat D.

                  Levering, directly at: ncxds@y...

                  > The Ex-Gay Discussion Board is a ministry of NCXDS Ex-Gay Internet
                  Christian Ministries

                  > MINISTRY LINKS!! Feel free to link to these pages on your own
                  website:

                  > Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion Board:
                  | "Wounded Heart" Abused Men's Group:
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                • Alan Levering
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
                    You should try the on-line support group - free -
                    "Setting captives free" many of our members have gone
                    through this and have found it helpful.

                    --Alan

                    =====
                    -- In Him who leads us to the Absolute Truth,
                    Alan Levering; Founder, NCXDS Ex-Gay Internet Ministries

                    Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion Board: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard> | Spanish Language Discussion Board: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgayenespa | "Wounded Heart" Abused Men's Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woundedheart> | Chat: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/exgaydiscussionboard/chat>
                    Feel free to link to these pages on your own website!!!

                    The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • saltnlight@netryders.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2005
                      Richy:

                      Don't give up now, there are people who want to help you and will charge
                      you nothing. They are true Christian counselors and they really want to
                      see you succeed.

                      You are being called out of this darkness into the light of Christ's love
                      and He will not give up on you. He said that no one comes to Him unless
                      the Father (God) draws them so, the very idea that you have been seeking
                      says to me that the Father is drawing you.

                      Richy the world is full of money grabbers and those who are into
                      counseling for self gain just as there are in other areas of life. Don't
                      give up.

                      Janet