Re: [ExGDBd] Might find this interesting?

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hi Bridget,
      I just saw this ad on ABC worldnews tonight, the 3 major networks have refused to air it. There is somebody on the abcnews tonight who did make a good point - he said, if the networks refuse them today, they will refuse us "tomorrow".

      - Michael

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        Bridget,

        Hi! I saw the ad. What a bunch of blasphemy. Well, now the Church of
        Christ, as they call themselves, states that they won't turn people
        away. What they are doing here is confusing the person with the sin.
        A true Christ-centered church will never reject the person, but that
        church, being the Body of Christ, will not condone sin. I looked
        over the website a bit and saw so many contradictions to the gospel,
        or should I say, a watered-down version of it. The woman at the
        well, for example, who was fornicating and sleeping around, totally
        miserable, was forgiven, but at the same time, Jesus gently
        confronted her about her sin. He told her to stop sinning. When she
        dodged the issue, Jesus pressed on. He didn't condemn her, but he
        did confront her with a reality check. He didn't shun her, but He
        definitely pointed out her sin. This church is accepting the sinner,
        but also accepting the sin; yet, it says that the way to heaven is
        to "follow Jesus." For starters, just obeying part of the law won't
        get anyone into heaven. Those things are works. Secondly, a person
        doesn't receive forgiveness and life if he/she does not repent and
        is not completely sorrowful of his/her sin. There is a great deal of
        remorse when a person accepts Christ, because an acknowledgment of
        our need for Christ (and Christ alone) MUST take place in order for
        us to receive the gifts God has given us through the Son.

        So, if a church says, "We'll accept you no matter what," yet they
        say, "You need to follow Jesus," but then they accept sinful living,
        then they aren't truly representative of Jesus Christ. So, they're a
        false church. They're deceptive, and full of half-truths and false
        doctrine. This church embraces acceptance but leaves out one key
        ingredient that each person who receives salvation must have:
        reconciliation with God through Jesus Christ. If there is no
        admonition of sin, no acknowledgment of our need for a Savior (in
        every aspect of our lives) then the person remains separated from
        God. No one can exist in the presence of Almighty God unless they
        have been TOTALLY reconciled to God through Jesus Christ.

        Members of this church are looking for a place to "worship," so they
        won't have to admit, renounce, and deal with their sin. They are
        worshipping a God that doesn't exist, because the God of the Bible
        is not present in that place.

        My thoughts and prayers are with you,
        Christa : )

        --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Michael"

        Levering, directly at: ncxds@y...

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          Thanks Christa,

          I totally agree. This is how I finally replied to my son today:

          Hi Johnathan,

          Thanks for sending me this. Dad saw two different ads on this. One he
          thought was ok and the other offensive. Basically, we believe churches
          should accept all of God's children in to their churches and show them
          love. But, that does not mean they should condone sins. The problem
          with this church is that they also accept homosexuality, adultery, and
          other sins as not being wrong.

          I wonder how they would explain Romans 1: 26-27 'For this cause God gave
          them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the
          natural use into that which is against nature: and likewise also the
          men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one
          toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and
          receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

          That said, 'Sy Rogers, whose video I will show you when you get here
          said that even being in a pro-gay Church and believing in God is better
          than being an atheist, or having no God. Being in a pro-gay church
          actually helped him to realize that is not what God really wants for his
          children. We need to be willing to know the truth about God, not just
          paint a pretty picture that will eventually lead to misery. Btw, your
          aunt Cherie said to say hello to you and that she hopes you do not go
          into the gay life. Her son Bo and his friend both have AIDS now and she
          says it is not a pretty picture. But, I definitely believe the churches
          need to reach out to gays more and love them.

          Love, Mom

          P.S.-btw, Christa, I have been thinking about you lately and wondered
          how you are doing with all you have to handle, especially being pregnant
          and all.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            I just want to point out........having grown up in the Church of Christ......that there are 3 types of Churches of Christ.

            1. United Church of Christ - which, I believe are all connected by their denomination like the Catholic Church or United Methodiest Church......thus the word "United", they are very liberal

            2. Church of Christ (acapella) - very strict, no musical instruments......they would not tolerate homosexuality in any form....considering it a sin

            3. Church of Christ (Christian) - more non-denominational, use musical instruments, more modern worship with contemporary songs.....they would not tolerate homosexuality either

            I just wanted to point out that the church in the article is the United Church of Christ.

            Thanks,

            Eric

            <welmond@a...> wrote:
            > Hi Bridget,
            > I just saw this ad on ABC worldnews tonight, the 3 major
            networks have refused to air it. There is somebody on the abcnews
            tonight who did make a good point - he said, if the networks refuse
            them today, they will refuse us "tomorrow".

            > - Michael

          • Henry B
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
              Just an FYI...there are some (although not many) UCC churches that
              are evangelical or charismatic. They are however bucking the trend of
              the denomination. As far as I am aware the denomination is more of an
              association of churches where individual congregations make the final
              decision if they want to become "open and affirming".

              Recently a local evangelical UCC congregation left the denomination
              because they were going too far to the left. However some choose to
              remain in order to be light in the ever growing darkness.

              Henry

              --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Matt Painter

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
                Eric,

                Thank you very much for that information. Bridget