Re: Ex-Gay Billboard Vandalized

  • Bethany
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
      Good Point Kat. I hope that things are handled well so as not to
      create more animosity.

      ~Bethany

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Davies"
      <katdavies1973@y...> wrote:
      > You know, I can understand why some gays would do that because
      the
      > Christian Right has - in the past - also have been very violent
      and
      > just as abusive to the gay community. Unfortunately, gays
      > themselves became "The beast" they were trying to fight. I think
      > if we opened a dialogue with honest intent to educate and promote
      > ideas rather than enforce behavior, many things could change.
      >
      > I do think that it is immature for someone to deface property that
      > is not theirs. However, it is going to take A LOT of
      > understanding to move past this. I caution against taking an
      > adversarial position to those that have defaced this billboard.
      Let
      > us find a way to work together to communicate. No dart throwing.
      >
      > Kat D.
      >

      > --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Henry B"
      > <borych2003@y...> wrote:
      > > Its a shame that people that claim they want to be "accepted"
      and
      > > want diversity are unable or should I say unwilling to accept
      > > others opinions. That is, others opinions if they contradict
      their
      > > own.
      > >
      > > The billboard only stated that change was possible. It did not
      > > verbally assault them or put them down.
      > >
      > > Which side is really promoting hate and
      intolerance? ....hmmmm.....

      > > Henry
      > >

      > > --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "pfox_exgays"
      > > <pfox_exgays@h...> wrote:
      > > > Billboard With Ex-Gay Message is Vandalized
      > > >
      > > > Contact: Regina Griggs at 703-360-2225; Executive Director of
      > > > Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays; ex-gays@e...
      > > >
      > > > RICHMOND, Va. Sept 29, 2004 -- At a time when homosexual
      > activists
      > > > are seeking rights such as "gay marriage," hate crime laws,
      > > adopting
      > > > children and promoting homosexuality in schools, they are also
      > > > attacking the freedoms of the ex-gay community. A billboard
      on
      > > > Highway I-64 near Richmond, Virginia states: "Ex-Gays Prove
      That
      > > > Change Is Possible. Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays
      > > Seeking
      > > > Tolerance For All."
      > > >
      > > > The billboard purchased by the group Parents and Friends of Ex-
      > Gays
      > > > and Gays, PFOX, has now been defaced with red paint.
      > > >
      > > > "We put up this billboard so that people will know the truth ?
      > that
      > > > you don't have to be homosexual if you don't want to be. We're
      > > hoping
      > > > this ad will bring about public awareness, respect and
      tolerance.

      > > > "The vandalism of our billboard is another example of the
      > > intolerance
      > > > ex-gays often face. We pray for those who tried to suppress
      our
      > > > message, and we are as determined as ever to support the right
      > of
      > > > self-determination for those who seek help for unwanted same
      > sex
      > > > attractions.
      > > >
      > > > "We see from this attack, and numerous hateful emails we have
      > > > received from gay activists, that our message is clear, but
      > > > unsettling," -- Regina Griggs, Executive Director, PFOX
      > > >
      > > > Photo of the vandalized billboard is available online at
      > > > http://www.earnedmedia.org/pfox.htm
      > > > Click on photo for a high-resolution version
      > > >
      > > > Previous press release on this billboard is available online
      at
      > > > http://www.pfox.org/asp/newsman/templates/newstemplate.asp?
      > > > articleid=144&zoneid=7
      > > >
      > > > To interview Regina Griggs, Executive Director of PFOX, call
      > > 703-360-
      > > > 2225
      > > >
      > > > www.pfox.org
      > > >
      > > > # # #
    • ctickle777
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
        I agree Henry.

        <borych2003@y...> wrote:
        > Its a shame that people that claim they want to be "accepted" and
        > want diversity are unable or should I say unwilling to accept
        > others opinions. That is, others opinions if they contradict their
        > own.
        >
        > The billboard only stated that change was possible. It did not
        > verbally assault them or put them down.
        >
        > Which side is really promoting hate and intolerance? ....hmmmm.....
        >
        > Henry
        >

        > --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "pfox_exgays"
        > <pfox_exgays@h...> wrote:
        > > Billboard With Ex-Gay Message is Vandalized
        > >
        > > Contact: Regina Griggs at 703-360-2225; Executive Director of
        > > Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays; ex-gays@e...
        > >
        > > RICHMOND, Va. Sept 29, 2004 -- At a time when homosexual
        activists
        > > are seeking rights such as "gay marriage," hate crime laws,
        > adopting
        > > children and promoting homosexuality in schools, they are also
        > > attacking the freedoms of the ex-gay community. A billboard on
        > > Highway I-64 near Richmond, Virginia states: "Ex-Gays Prove That
        > > Change Is Possible. Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays
        > Seeking
        > > Tolerance For All."
        > >
        > > The billboard purchased by the group Parents and Friends of Ex-
        Gays
        > > and Gays, PFOX, has now been defaced with red paint.
        > >
        > > "We put up this billboard so that people will know the truth ?
        that
        > > you don't have to be homosexual if you don't want to be. We're
        > hoping
        > > this ad will bring about public awareness, respect and tolerance.
        > >
        > > "The vandalism of our billboard is another example of the
        > intolerance
        > > ex-gays often face. We pray for those who tried to suppress our
        > > message, and we are as determined as ever to support the right
        of
        > > self-determination for those who seek help for unwanted same
        sex
        > > attractions.
        > >
        > > "We see from this attack, and numerous hateful emails we have
        > > received from gay activists, that our message is clear, but
        > > unsettling," -- Regina Griggs, Executive Director, PFOX
        > >
        > > Photo of the vandalized billboard is available online at
        > > http://www.earnedmedia.org/pfox.htm
        > > Click on photo for a high-resolution version
        > >
        > > Previous press release on this billboard is available online at
        > > http://www.pfox.org/asp/newsman/templates/newstemplate.asp?
        > > articleid=144&zoneid=7
        > >
        > > To interview Regina Griggs, Executive Director of PFOX, call
        > 703-360-
        > > 2225
        > >
        > > www.pfox.org
        > >
        > > # # #
      • Katherine Davies
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2004
          PFOX sees red over vandalized exgay billboard
          Aggrieved-relatives group PFOX complains to the religious-right
          media that its exgay billboard in Richmond, Va., has been vandalized.

          But a closer look at the billboard finds faded streaks of red ink.
          The billboard is mostly unharmed. (Hat tip: John Aravosis.)

          Whether this is a case of vandalism or poor workmanship and rainy
          weather, PFOX executive director Regina Griggs claims to be able to
          read the vandals' minds. She boasts of the red ink as proof that
          exgays are persecuted and that "gay activists" are uncomfortable
          with the "truth" that any gay person can become heterosexual.
          Griggs' absolutism about sexual orientation — her notion that if one
          person can "change" to any degree, then anyone can become
          heterosexual — is, in effect, a repudiation of her own family
          experience: Her gay son has been unable to make the "change" that
          she markets to others.

          If I were Griggs, I'd be working with local pro-tolerance activists
          to track down the specific vandals and discourage both gay and
          antigay vandalism.

          Instead, Griggs seems to be content with her victimhood.

          http://www.exgaywatch.com/xgw/

          (Note from Kat D: I agree with the last two paragraphs very much.
          I go to these sites to see what others are looking at when they view
          ex-gays and how they counter argue)