23343Re: [ExGDBd] 20 Questions for "Ex-Gay" Ministry Leaders: A Response - Part 3a

  • Thomas Morey
    Oct 3, 2008
      Balu:

      Thanks for your prompt reply, and your explanation.

      But, I don't think I understand what the difference is that you say there is, or whether there really is any, between you and I.

      Yes, being a "foreigner" or "xenos" entails cultural differences from a host country, even when those foreigners have lived in that country for generations, such as with the Amish (Dutch, Belgium and German Rhineland), who immigrated to America throughout the 19th century, and the many Pakistanis in the UK, or Algerians in France in the 20th. They just haven't experienced significant enough acculturization and assimilation into that host country, for whatever reason, which intermarriage after a few generations usually facilitates. These cultural differences have their foundation in one's ancestry, and, therefore, biology. This is the lowest common denominator. The Irish have a different ancestry (Celts), and, therefore, a variation in biology, than the English (Anglo-Saxons). Of course, isn't this the case for all the examples you have mentioned too?

      In addition, I grew up with many Greek Americans, whose parents or grandparents immigrated mostly from the Macedonia area of Greece, not far from the mountains where Alexander the Great grew up. And I visited there for a week back in 1980, before heading to Israel for a month. Their parents and relatives did call me "xenos" (not to my face, but to their children), not because I didn't join in on their customs (I most certainly did! Tried everything that they did, including drinking shots of ouzo, and dancing in a circle at a wedding reception.) In other words, I did as the Romans, I mean the Macedonians, did! :-)In Macedonia, people who just met me appeared a bit apprehensive, even scared of me, because I was told that I looked like a Cretan, who have a huskier build, have dark wavy hair and are darker skinned, until I opened my mouth to use the limited amount of modern Greek that I knew. The dark wavy hair comes from my Irish and Flemish Europian
      ancestry, and the dark complexion comes from decades of being a lifeguard on the beaches near Atlantic City, New Jersey. Plus, those from the Isle of Crete have a reputation for being rather tough. And, "yes", Cretans are considered "xenos", too, despite the fact that they speak Greek, of course. And, I can imagine if a Cretan had come to visit, and behaved just as their Macedonian hosts did, and not like a Cretan, or whatever the Macedonian image of how a Cretan acts, he or she would still be "xenos". But, a gay-identified Greek would not be.

      So, the point being, I was STILL "xenos" (even before I opened my mouth), why? Because of my appearance, referring to my biological make-up; not my actions. If you've ever seen the very funny American movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (which I'm pretty sure it would be in German now) the father makes it crystal clear that it's the same for anyone not of Greek ancestry, even someone getting baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, and marries into a Greek family. They'll ALWAYS be "xenos", or at least "of the 'xenos'", although their children from marrying a Greek, who are brought up in the Greek Orthodox Church, wouldn't be. Why? Again, because of the blood line. So, this I believe is the etymology of that word.

      Btw, are you from around Vienna, or Innsbruk?

      Blessings,

      Tom