22615Re: NARTH Opens Up Conference in Texas!

  • Frank R.Schoonover
    Nov 1, 2007
      Dear Laura

      I tried the link but I got "Page Not Found" afterwards.

      I woudl like to read the full article on the site.Please
      help.Sincerely Frank R.Schoonover

      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Laura"
      <exgaydates@...> wrote:

      > NARTH Opens Up Conference in Texas!
      >

      > By JEFFREY WEISS / The Dallas Morning News
      >
      > Mental health therapists gathered at a conference in Irving this
      > weekend are trying to chart a middle course between commonly heard
      > views about homosexuality.
      >
      > The National Association for Research and Therapy of
      Homosexuality,
      > which claims 800 members, holds the official position that people
      > who are gay or lesbian and want to change can be helped by
      > counseling.
      >
      > Leaders of the group say that nobody is born gay or lesbian. But
      > they also say that nobody chooses a sexual orientation.
      >
      > About 50 people showed up for the conference Friday morning and
      > heard speakers who asserted that:
      >
      > • Innate biological tendencies unrelated to sexuality combine with
      > perceived childhood rejection from the same-sex parent or peers to
      > create a psychological need for same-sex acceptance and affection.
      >
      > • Homosexuality is not chosen consciously but is a way people seek
      > to fill the psychological void.
      >
      > • Counseling works – when it works – only for people who want it.
      >
      > "For some people, it [homosexuality] is a satisfactory adaptation.
      > And for others, it is an unsatisfactory adaptation," said Dr.
      Joseph
      > Nicolosi, president and co-founder of the group.
      >
      > Others in the organization suggest that gays and lesbians
      generally
      > benefit from counseling if they seek it. "Behind every homosexual
      is
      > heterosexuality that wants to come out," said Dr. Benjamin
      Kaufman,

      http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN
      > -gaytherapy_27met.ART0.North.Edition1.4259d92.html

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic