I welcome your thoughts and Insights

  • Bill Prickett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2011
      Good morning, everyone.  I've been part of this Yahoo group for several years, sometimes more active, but always monitoring.

      I have written a new novel (my second), and this one deals extensively with the ex-gay issue, and shows an extreme attempt at reparative treatment.  Since you've all experienced the attempt to be "cured," I'd welcome your thoughts and insights.  (Sorry for the commercial, but I regularly get people writing to me who don't believe the ex-gay groups are that bad or dangerous.)

      I just started a new discussion on my Facebook where I will be dealing with some of techniques/methods used my book (which I admit, for the sake of fiction, was a bit extreme). I've already gotten two private messages from those who think I'm slamming these groups and being too harsh.  "Surely they do some good," one guy told me.  "I have a friend who used to be gay, but who's now happily married."  <SIGH>

      Hope you'll check it out.  And if you get the book, please let me know your thoughts.

      Thanks!

      Bill Prickett

      The Mind Set on the Flesh
      A story of deception in the name of religion.
      But what happens when the truth comes to light?

      www.BillPrickett.com
      Let's connect on Facebook

    • Joiner Rex
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2011
        How much is your book? I briefly looked at your site and starting reading the
        intro, but that's as far as I got. My experience was good with ex-gay
        ministries. I don't subscribe to everything they teach, but the particular
        group I was in was loving, non-judgmental, so it might not be the experience
        than so many seem to have had. If your book is exploring the issues in a
        fresh, but truthful, way - I might be interested.

        Rex

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2011
          Joiner, I do think my book approaches the ex-gay issue from a different perspective.  It is intentionally a kind of "worse case scenario."  (It's fiction, so it's merited)

          As I outline on my site, it involves a young gay man who's is brutally beaten (by a mentally unstable religious fanatic handing out tracts in the gay section of Dallas) and is left with almost no memory of his past.  His parent, who are famous TV evangelists, turn him over to a doctor who uses extreme methods to change their son from gay to straight.

          I'm glad you had a good experience with your ex-gay group, but I hope you understand that many don't. I lost one of my best friends to suicide when he could get straight. For years I've worked with those who have been damaged by the dangerous teachings of these groups. The very premise of their operation---the we can be changed and need to be changed---causes so much damage.

          My book is available at all the online booksellers.  You can click on the Purchast tab of my website for specifics or you can also go to my Facebook page and click on the Where to Buy tab.

          Thanks for your comments.

          Bill