Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Re: To the List Owner/Moderators of ExExGayMinistry's ...

  • MrChuk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2009
      Good point Pete. If you don't want to be identified, you can create an
      email ID/address just for privacy use like this group.
      Chuk

      In a message dated 11/29/2009 1:13:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      pete.zayonce@... writes:

      Hi Norm,

      I agree with you - no matter what level of "privacy" is added to a group,
      there is usually lurkers who are there gathering whatever information they
      want to gather.

      It is sad that people feel they can no longer as a question, or post what's
      on their mind. Yahoo give the ability for your email to be hidden, and if
      you use a name, then no one really knows if it's a real name or not.

      Norm, thanks for creating this group, and I hope that people will still
      continue to use it.

      Regards,

      Pete Zayonce (yes, that's my real name - Google or Facebook me) :-)

      2009/11/26 nojam75 <nojam75@...>

      > Thank you for sharing and, again, I am sorry that you somehow understood
      > messages here were private. I have revised the home page message to
      clarify
      > that this is a public group.
      >
      > I have no plans of making this group private. One of my concerns about
      > going private is that it will make the group less accessible. Such a
      change
      > will force lurkers and those merely questioning the ex-gay movement to
      > become a 'member' of an ex-exgay group just to read messages. Even when I
      > first started questioning the ex-gay movement, I doubt that I would have
      > actively joined an ex-exgay group. So, I believe there is a value to
      keeping
      > online discussions open and accessible for lurkers like myself.
      >
      > I certainly understand the need to discuss deeply personal matters --
      > especially related to reconciling faith and sexuality. However, I think
      > there is a meaningful way to openly and anonymously share our struggles
      > without disclosing names and identifying details.
      >
      > Also, as I mentioned previously, making the group private gives a false
      > sense of security where none exists. As moderator, I have no way of
      assuring
      > who the 300+ members of the group are or what they will do with the
      > information posted (and e-mailed). As with any electronic information,
      there
      > is no assurance of privacy. Yahoo!'s code could become defective, servers
      > can be hacked, and malicious viruses could collect information.
      >
      > Norm!
      >

      > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com
      <exexgayministry%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "rckmtnguy24" <ad4071@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I apologize, but I guess I'll go ahead and tell you my thoughts on
      this.
      > The fact that this is posted publicly will stop me from participating
      here.
      > This is a shame, because I think there's some good discussion going on
      here.

      > > I've started three closed/private Yahoo groups. Members have to be
      > pre-approved and messages are viewable only by other members. The things
      > posted there cannot be accessed by anyone outside the membership and I
      > suppose by Yahoo employees.
      > >
      > > I don't see the need for the Ex Gay people to be "spying" here, nor
      for
      > the Ex Ex Gay people to spy on their forums. There are enough members on
      > both sides who can share what's going on.
      > >
      > > Many of us have questions about serious and private matters.
      Regretfully,

      --
      Pete Zayonce
      m: 0410248621

      "I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I
      realized I was somebody."
      – Lily Tomlin