Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Re: To the List Owner/Moderators of ExExGayMinistry's Yahoo Group

  • Joiner Rex
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
      Is there a way to "privatize" the Yahoo groups so the messages are not available unless you are a member of that particular group? I noticed the same thing when I posted my name on another Yahoo group and comments I made came up in a public search. But, I agree that if there is not a way to make these private within the group, there should be.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
        I apologize, but I guess I'll go ahead and tell you my thoughts on this. The fact that this is posted publicly will stop me from participating here. This is a shame, because I think there's some good discussion going on here.

        I've started three closed/private Yahoo groups. Members have to be pre-approved and messages are viewable only by other members. The things posted there cannot be accessed by anyone outside the membership and I suppose by Yahoo employees.

        I don't see the need for the Ex Gay people to be "spying" here, nor for the Ex Ex Gay people to spy on their forums. There are enough members on both sides who can share what's going on.

        Many of us have questions about serious and private matters. Regretfully, I no longer feel comfortable posting here where everyone can read it. I do not believe it's a false sense of security. There's always a possibility of someone that's a member "snitching" on someone's post, but I think thats a far less concern than laying it all out naked.

        Just my two-cents worth and probably the last.

        Sorry!
      • nojam75
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2009
          Thank you for sharing and, again, I am sorry that you somehow understood messages here were private. I have revised the home page message to clarify that this is a public group.

          I have no plans of making this group private. One of my concerns about going private is that it will make the group less accessible. Such a change will force lurkers and those merely questioning the ex-gay movement to become a 'member' of an ex-exgay group just to read messages. Even when I first started questioning the ex-gay movement, I doubt that I would have actively joined an ex-exgay group. So, I believe there is a value to keeping online discussions open and accessible for lurkers like myself.

          I certainly understand the need to discuss deeply personal matters -- especially related to reconciling faith and sexuality. However, I think there is a meaningful way to openly and anonymously share our struggles without disclosing names and identifying details.

          Also, as I mentioned previously, making the group private gives a false sense of security where none exists. As moderator, I have no way of assuring who the 300+ members of the group are or what they will do with the information posted (and e-mailed). As with any electronic information, there is no assurance of privacy. Yahoo!'s code could become defective, servers can be hacked, and malicious viruses could collect information.

          Norm!

          --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "rckmtnguy24" <ad4071@...> wrote:

          > I apologize, but I guess I'll go ahead and tell you my thoughts on this. The fact that this is posted publicly will stop me from participating here. This is a shame, because I think there's some good discussion going on here.
          >
          > I've started three closed/private Yahoo groups. Members have to be pre-approved and messages are viewable only by other members. The things posted there cannot be accessed by anyone outside the membership and I suppose by Yahoo employees.
          >
          > I don't see the need for the Ex Gay people to be "spying" here, nor for the Ex Ex Gay people to spy on their forums. There are enough members on both sides who can share what's going on.
          >
          > Many of us have questions about serious and private matters. Regretfully, I no longer feel comfortable posting here where everyone can read it. I do not believe it's a false sense of security. There's always a possibility of someone that's a member "snitching" on someone's post, but I think thats a far less concern than laying it all out naked.
          >
          > Just my two-cents worth and probably the last.
          >
          > Sorry!

        • Pete Zayonce
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2009
            Hi Norm,

            I agree with you - no matter what level of "privacy" is added to a group,
            there is usually lurkers who are there gathering whatever information they
            want to gather.

            It is sad that people feel they can no longer as a question, or post what's
            on their mind. Yahoo give the ability for your email to be hidden, and if
            you use a name, then no one really knows if it's a real name or not.

            Norm, thanks for creating this group, and I hope that people will still
            continue to use it.

            Regards,

            Pete Zayonce (yes, that's my real name - Google or Facebook me) :-)

            --
            Pete Zayonce
            m: 0410248621

            "I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I
            realized I was somebody."
            � Lily Tomlin