Re: [ExExGayMinistry] The non-religious dimension of the ex-gay trip: masculinity

  • Joiner Rex
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
      I agree largely with what Alan and Korry have stated. I don't think there is any proof of the gay gene at birth. However, there may be a predisposition to becoming gay if we don't get that affirmation, attention and affection from our father or a father figure in early life. That was my case also.

      I enjoyed some of the artsy things like drawing maps, speaking in Latin around the house and my father made fun of me by calling me "the absent-minded professor" - plus, he was quick to spank us with the belt (not quite beat) and my mother was the dominant one. So, I grew up very afraid of my father. Plus, my dad worked long hours, so he did not have much time to interract with our kids. There were 7 girls and only 2 boys in our household. My brother was far more adventuresome and aggressive than I and he turned out straight. I was far more sensitive and even though we both experimented with mutual masturbation and fellatio while in our teens with ourselves and our friends and cousins, he seemed to "outgrow" that and did not have the same SSA orientation I had. In later years, when my dad came to know the Lord and went back to church, I attempted to bond with him, but the damage had already been done.

      So, there seems to be a great deal of truth to this premise. I would like to see if there is any significant percent of gay men today who do not fit into many of these same "causes." It doesn't seem like there are a lot of the "rough and tumble" that turned out gay. For the most part, I believe it is extremely difficult for our orienation to change, once the damage has been done. Some of us have chosen marriage to a woman in spite of our orientation. I made that choice because of my religious upbringing. And despite the struggle, in my case - I'm glad it happened that way because my wife is my best friend and I have been blessed with two wonderful kids. But my basic orientation remains homosexual.

      Just my thoughts...

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
        This is an interesting approach to claim that the religious right knows the "cause" of being homosexual. I was a Lutheran minister for a number of years and have studied this extensively. Recently I heard the author of the new book "Nature's Choice What Science Reveals About the Biological Origins of Sexual Orientation: by Cheryl Weill (ISBN 978-0-7890-3475-5 new paperback version).

        She has brought together all the scientific studies that cover this area with a summary of them all. Knowing Focus on the Family is down the road from us (we both live in Denver) I asked her about the psychological "origins" of Sexual Orientation that the religious right claims. He did write to them asking for scientific studies for their beliefs. (all of the studies in the book are peer reviewed and vetted by professionals). They never wrote her back.

        She maintains that culture, parents, and all the other factors that have been cited by them do not "cause" anyone to become gay. The origins are biological. She presents over wealming evidence.

        If you appraoch this from the religious point of view....they have yet to do peer reviewed studies that prove the change is possible. Even those who claim that "change" has occured in their lives acknowledge that they have to "force" themselves to be straight. There are a few that "believe" that they have changed. Sexuality Orientation is not a either or proposition....people are on a scale that goes from straight to gay with points along the way. Sexual desire is also on a scale. I am sure that some people can "force down" a weak gay orientation.

        One of the studies down is a culture where young boys are removed from the female group to live with the male group. They are expected to suck off the older male members. They grow up to be straight members of their society. It goes to show that gay behavior is not "learned."

        All of this pretty much falls in line with the recent position of the APA. They acknowledge that some people want to becomee "straight" because of their religous beliefs. But they urged that these people be told that "change" rarely happens.

        This field of study is not studied openly (Congress approves all scientific grant studies and they don't approve studies that directly study this homosexuality....they have to write the studies in an ajacent area like HIV) Guess people don't want to really know the truth of sexual orientation.

      • MrChuk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
          .... and besides.. what does it matter about the cause? Even if we knew for sure, we'd still be gay or have SSA, wouldn't we?
          So, it's all about acceptance [by ourselves and others] isn't it, not etiology?
          Chuk