Re: Connecting

  • nojam75
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
      Welcome everyone!

      I would be interested to know if John or Drew are familiar with Tanya
      Erzen's 2006 book Straight to Jesus
      <http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10489.php> ? In it Frank Worthen
      recounts the founding of Love In Action and Exodus. I don't remember
      much details, but it was surprising to hear Worthen joked that LIA stood
      for "Lots of Action" due to numerous sex scandals in LIA and Exodus
      early days.

      The book also claims that Exodus was originally named "Free All Gays",
      but I have a hard time believing that.

      - Norm!

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, John Brown
      <godismovingtoday@...> wrote:

      > I was in Eureka from 1973- 1982 and with a church there that had a
      group from Love in Action come share with us in about 1978 -1979 from
      San Rafael. Out church had a center in Eureka New Life Center in
      Ridgewood Heights at the Old Assemblies of God campground.Rev. Charles
      John Peterson was the pastor. For awhile they were referring gays to us
      to help make them ex gay and we had several my self included who claim
      to be healed and no longer gay. In my case it was a sham but it would
      another 25 years almost before I could accept the truth about myself and
      finally came out as an openly gay man. The center lasted until about
      1982 and then closed. As for most of the others I knew from the group,
      or those who stayed at the center I long since forgotten their names and
      the few I knew about after they had first left had gone back into the
      life style and I am not sure wanted anything to do with Christ or
      church. If any one know what I am talking about or was
      > at the center in the time I was there 1976-1979 would love to talk
      with you. Or anyone just want to talk I am willing to talk with you. I
      am currently working in a gay affirming Catholic church and studying for
      the deaconate at the moment. So still going on with the Lord as an
      openly gay man. Anyway those are my memories of them

      > God bless you all
      >
      > John W. Brown

      I had to

      //wihttp: //w
      > indohttp://wihttp: /_
      > (http://windowslive. com/Tutorial/ Hotmail/QuickAdd ?ocid=TXT_
      TAGLM_WL_ HM_Tutorial_ QuickAdd_ 062009)