What Happened to the Group?

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2009
      I hope my post about a Pfishing site called Grouply did not cause
      the lack of posts to this group.

      Ex-Ex-Gay Ministry is a legitamate Ministry and has been helping
      a lot of Gay Men and women who have been involved in religious
      organizations which claim that you have to "Deny yourself" in order
      to be a Christian.

      I know, I was involved in such a church for many years. And like
      many gays, I tried to deny myself and be Ex-gay. But in reality, I
      was living a double life, living as a gay in secret and hypocrit at
      church.

      In my case, I changed churches and happened into a church that did
      not practice that interpretation of the Bible. In fact, the first time I
      went, I told the pastor that I felt called to minister to Gays. He said
      "Great, we have been trying to get such a ministry going. Are you
      attending Pride today?" I ask him why I would attend such a thing.
      He told me, that if I were Gay, it was a great place to meet other gays
      who needed to get the message that God loved and accepted them
      as they were.

      I went to Pride and developed one of the worst Migraine headaches
      of my life. But at the same time, I felt like it was the right thing to
      be doing. I got involved in "Reconciling to Christ" and found out there
      was more than one interpretation of the Bible passages. It took two
      years and an assistant pastor who told me
      "If God Created you to be a Gay Man, God wants you to be Gay and you
      should live a gay life, you are doing what God wants. If you were created
      to be straight and you are living a gay life, that is not what God wants
      you to be and you are sinning."

      Years later I attended a National Conference where the subject was
      "Whether Gays should be allowed to be Ministers in our Church"
      I spoke to the issue with a very short statement and a question. "You
      are saying that these people chose to be Gay and should be banned from
      ministry. What I want to know is, when did you straight people Choose to
      be Straight. You look at me and say 'we were born that way, we did not
      choose to be straight". I ask you 'is it possible that these people did not
      choose to be gay, but were born that way, just like you were?"

      The issue which was deadlocked up to that point, passed with 85% in favor.

      Why am I Ex-Ex-Gay or in other words, Gay? Because I was born this way.
      From the moment I realized a sexual identity, I knew I was gay, that my other
      half was to be another man. I had no interest in females. They do nothing
      for me. I have no sexual interest in them. I can be friends with them.

      So, why not just say that I am gay? Because telling the world that I am Ex-Ex-
      tells them that I have considered the options and I have chosen to be Gay the
      way God intended me to be. I was born that way, tried to change, and now
      understand that I am a Gay man because God intended me to be a gay man.

      Any of you who want to write to me, you are welcome to.

      Larry Rogers
      Minneapolis, Minnesota
      dadheniso@...
    • Chris Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2009
        Thanks for your posting, Larry. It's great to see some life on this list albeit occasional.
        Like you, I also spent many years denying my sexuality. I went through the Living Waters course in the earnest hope that I could be `de-gayed'. Unsurprisingly, the venture was unsuccessful, and when my marriage of 15 years ended I took the opportunity to explore my identity as a lesbian further.
        Although the journey has been rocky at times, I can confidently say that casting off the conventional `cultural baggage' my denomination demanded and choosing to embark upon my own spiritual journey has been rewarding, enlightening and authentic. For me, the hardest factor has been losing the sense of community I had with my church (I now live in rural New England and attend a small `open and affirming' (much as I hate that phrase) church, and am slowly penetrating the crusty puritanical exterior of folks in a different cultural setting (I moved from New Zealand three years ago to join my partner and love of my life).
        My partner and I have five children between us, all of whose lives have been deeply enriched by our relationship.
        WE are heartened to witness the passing of gay marriage legislation in some states in the US. We look forward to this attitude infusing the Federal government at some stage in the future. At the moment, immigration is a nightmare for the thousands of gays from outside the country who would like to be able to join their US-based partner. Many have to forfeit their relationships, or live in a country which is not of their choice because of this. Parents are separated from their children, and many who are sick or dying are unable to be with the partner of their choice.
        We've come such a long way, but we've got so much further to go.
        Thanks to those who established and moderate this list. I've been a member for many years now, and it has been a source of inspiration.
        Warmly
        Tina

        --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <dadheniso@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > choose to be straight". I ask you 'is it possible that these people did not
        > choose to be gay, but were born that way, just like you were?"
        >
        > The issue which was deadlocked up to that point, passed with 85% in favor.
        >
        > Why am I Ex-Ex-Gay or in other words, Gay? Because I was born this way.
        > From the moment I realized a sexual identity, I knew I was gay, that my other
        > half was to be another man. I had no interest in females. They do nothing
        > for me. I have no sexual interest in them. I can be friends with them.
        >
        > So, why not just say that I am gay? Because telling the world that I am Ex-Ex-
        > tells them that I have considered the options and I have chosen to be Gay the
        > way God intended me to be. I was born that way, tried to change, and now
        > understand that I am a Gay man because God intended me to be a gay man.
        >
        > Any of you who want to write to me, you are welcome to.

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2009
          Well, maybe it is time I become more active in this group. If the Owner needs another Moderator, I will be glad to volunteer to help out. I already "own" a number of secular groups as well as one that brings men who need mentors together with men who want to mentor together called "Hugs of Love"

          My prayer meeting group at church has been having prophesy that it is time that my ministry to Gay folk is about to unfold in a very big way. Five years ago, my pastor said that I was too old to attend Seminary. No one wanted a minister over 60 years of age, especially one who was openly gay and participated in fetishes and bdsm and refused to be celibrate. I asked him whether they would accept a straight old man who was not celibrate but dated a different woman every week or even every night. He has yet to answer me.

          I had several comments on my post. One from a Gay Pastor that I know and one from a Mother of a Gay man who disagreed with some of my ideas. I say great. I have received letters quoting all the passages in the Bible about gays. Interestingly enough, I never get any quoting all the passages in the Bible about staight lust. Wonder if people ever notice that staight lust is forbidden almost six to one over gay lust?

          So, anyway, lest anyone accuse me of pointing out the speck in the eye and trying to minimize the post in my own eye, what do some of the rest of you feel?