Out of 9 'ex-gays' that appear in AFA video, all 9 make their living selling a 'cure' to homoaffectionality...

  • Homo Ffectional
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2006
      http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/2006/05/video_its_not_g_1.html
      VIDEO "IT's NOT GAY" ONLY SERVES To FURTHER REINFORCE IDEA "EXGAY For PAY" By Daniel Gonzales

      Since 2000 the American Family Association has been peddling a video about exgays titled "It's Not Gay." Ex-Gay Watch reader Jim Burroway recently threw $10 at the AFA's discount-bin for a copy of the video.

      In his book "Anything But Straight," author Wayne Besen coined the term "exgay for pay" which describes how virtually every publicly visible person proclaiming to be healed of their homosexuality makes it their liveliehood. I refuse to assert any exgay is getting rich off this, infact many exgays take offense to such a suggestion. Possibly the most touching and relatable moment of exgay Stephen Bennett's Straight Talk Radio show was when Stephen said sometimes he struggles just to pay his family's health insurance each month.

      But back to the video... Nine exgays appear in it. How many make/made their living exgays? You guessed it, every single one of them. Here's the breakdown: (in order of appearance)

      1) Michael Johnston - Founder of Kerusso Ministries, chair of National Coming Out of Homosexuality Day, and spreader of HIV.

      2) KC Winters - Former counseling Assistant at Love In Action. I don't have dates for that so I can not ascertain if Winters was a counselor when the video was made in 2000. Currently it appears Winters is pursuing a counseling degree from Harding Graduate School of Religion in Memphis and teaching a Sunday school class at Central Church in Collierville, Tennessee. Central Church is among a list of supporting churches on Love In Action's website.

      3) Kermit Rainman - Social Research Analyst at Focus on the Family.

      4) Bill Curnow - Director of LIFE Coaching International a Christian counseling service which "seeks to help individuals and families live as God designed them to live." Areas of specialty listed on website include "marriage and family issues" and "gender identity."

      5) Richard Cohen - Unlicensed therapist and President of PFOX.

      6) Bruce McCutcheon - Counselor at Quest Ministries.

      7) Ray Jackson - Director of Quest Ministries.

      8) David Pruden - Executive Director of Evergreen International.

      9) Yvette Schneider - Co-leads Victory Ministry with her husband Paul.

      Does anyone else notice how the video's captions don't fully disclose the true involvement of most participants in the exgay movement?

      Go to http://www.livejournal.com/users/homaffectional/355.html and find out how you can help openly lesbian Cynthia Matthews beat the Poster Boy for the Congressional Closet Case Caucus, David Dreier, in '06! Even Repukes want to FireDreier.com!
      -I'm homaffectional and I approved this message. And if you're reading it, so did the moderator.