Exodus Tries to Exploit "Brokeback"'s Success

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2006
      In a blantant 'PLEASE, INTERVIEW ME!' press release(1), Exodus
      International is trying to use the success GLBT-themed films
      like 'Brokeback Mountain', 'TransAmerica', and 'Capote' had at last
      night's Golden Globes to book media interviews. Exodus seems to be
      trying to create some kind of artificial controversy about these
      movies.

      It's a sad tactic. Sadder if anyone falls for it like ABC News did
      last month(2). As the Oscar buzz builds-up, I wouldn't be surprised to
      see Exodus President/Spokesperson Alan Chambers at least land a 700
      Club or FOX'news' appearance.

      The problem for Exodus is that these movies do not offer glamorized
      portrayals of gay life. (I haven't seen TransAmerica yet, but I doubt
      it portrays a transgendered person's life as easy.) Rather, most of
      these movies portray realistic challenges many GLBT face (possibly
      excluding 'Capote'). I suppose Exodus' would only be happy if all
      these movies ended with the gay or transgendered characters checking
      into an 'ex-gay ministry'.

      - Norm!

      (1) http://www.exodus.to/news_2006_0116PR.shtml
      (2) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1380885