New forum to fight against spiritual violence against LGBT people

  • alankhoo92002
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      Soulforce is an organization which purpose is "to work towards
      freedom for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from
      religious and political oppression through the practice of
      relentless nonviolent resistance." (see www.soulforce.org). While
      the group was founded by gay affirmative Christians and has been
      actively fighting homophobia propaged by various churches, Soulforce
      is an interfaith movement open to all people regardless of religious
      affiliations.

      The Soulforce new website features allow visitors quick access to
      the 700+ pages covering the 33 Soulforce nonviolent direct actions
      to date in the struggle for LGBT equality. The site introduces the
      new Soulforce Community Forums. The forums are the next best thing
      to being at a Soulforce event -- offering faith-driven activists a
      way to engage in online discussions about everything from
      nonviolence, to theology, to book studies, to just-for-fun topics.
      (Soulforce is offering a free book, Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third
      Way by Walter Wink to the first 25 people who register and introduce
      themselves in the forums. Details are available here:
      www.soulforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12 )

      The religious right have been actively working within Asia, and in
      many instances propagated homophobia. There is still much to be
      done to counter that. The forum gives the opportunity for like-
      minded people all over the world to network with one another.

      Sincerely,

      Alan
    • Scott Russell
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hey, Alan, thanks for the plug!

        This past April I participated in a "direct action" with Mel White Soulforce at Liberty University in Lynchburg.

        We endured a chapel service where Jerry Falwell lashed out at Mel in person and mocked our very presence. We sat quietly. Later we interacted with students and even had the chance to eat lunch with them. One young man tried to convince me to look into Joe Nicolosi's work. I told him I was VERY familiar with Joe and NARTH.

        I had forgotten to what extent these young people are being so indoctrinated by Jerry and his cronies, but I must say a few corageous ones told us they supported us.

        All we had asked was that Jerry allow some books in the university library that expressed alternate views on homosexuality than the ones he supports. He threatened us with arrest if we brought them on campus.

        So much for "Liberty" University...

        Just two weeks ago, Soulforce traveled to Annapolis and officially protested the "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" policies of the American military. I was busy hosting a gay-awareness event on my campus so I couldn't join them, but I heard great things!

        Jake Reitan, the young adult coordinator for Soulforce, is a courageous young man. He AND HIS PARENTS!!! have been arrested at places like Focus on the Family trying to get James Dobson and others like him to at least listen to Jake's story as a Christian who is gay and the story of his parents who love and support their gay son. Now THAT'S a family!!!

        Thanks again!
        Scott

        The Rev. Scott Russell
        Episcopal Campus Minister at Virginia Tech
        540-552-2411

        alankhoo92002 <alankhoo92002@...> wrote:
[...]

        Bible pc study Bible Bible felt Audio bible Bible study Bible on your palm