  • Scott Russell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2005
      Did anyone catch "Paula Zahn Now" on CNN last nite?

      I missed part one on Wednesday night, but this was apparently part two of a reporting on Love in Action's "Refuge" bootcamp for ex-gay teens.

      If this is an accurate report, things have changed FUNDAMENTALLY in their approach.

      Granted, the ex-gay "representative" was obviously un-polished and un-coached -- the word TRAINWRECK comes to mind... If he is indeed an official spokesman, things have changed WILDLY!

      Here's the e-mail I just send Paula:

      Dear Paula,

      Thank you so much for your expose on the ex-gay bootcamp. I was in the ex-gay movement for 10 years. And despite what your guest had to say, this is a FUNDAMENTAL change in their rhetoric. Once upon a time, they did INDEED promise "change" not just behavior modification. I was stunned to hear your guest say that he was "born this way" but is choosing to change his behavior. This is SO different from what I heard for years! They aren't forcing people into loveless marriages anymore? They aren't doing "reparative therapy"?

      And where are the "hundreds of thousands" of people "just like" your guest? There certainly may be that many people who have struggled with their sexual identity, but there I challenge John Smid or anyone with Exodus International to produce even 100,000 people who are successful, long-term ex-gays.

      For me, Paula, the issue comes down to one of community. I know what it is like to want so desperately to fit in and be accepted by the religious right. I was an evangelical for many years, but now I have found a Christian community who accepts me for who I am and has taught me that my sexuality is a gift from God. I never feared that God would reject me, only my family and friends. Well, turns out I needed new friends, and my family has just had to love me as I am -- a choice many families have to make everyday for many other reasons.

      Thank you once again for bringing these issues to light. I'm surprised at how fundamentally they have changed their approach and their promises. If your profile was accurate, I'd say the "ex-gay" movement as we know it will no longer exist in five years.

      Kindest regards -- LOVE your show!

    • Goy Veh
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2005
        "Wong" ... also the name of China's currency. Probably just a
        coincidence, eh?

        --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "alankhoo92002"