UC Professor claims great sucess to convert gay to straight but has no data

  • alankhoo92002
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2005
      Hi people,

      This Melvin Wong is capitalizing on homophobia and
      ignorance in South East Asia to promote his
      "conversion therapy".

      In this report, he is claimed to be a professor at the Uni California
      If I remember correctly,
      last time in Singapore, he was described as a
      professor at the Uni California San Francisco. Looks
      like they now make it sound vague by not mentioning
      which Uni Cali. Even the Exodus site states that he
      WAS a faculty and does not claim that he is a faculty.

      Can we do something about this once and for all? Can UCSF Dept of
      Psychiatry issue a note disclaiming him?

      Thanks.

      Alan

      "Going straight?"
      New Straits Times, Malaysia (www.nst.com.my)
      (16/07/05) Yong
      Tiam Kui
      Mental health professionals have differing views about
      whether homosexuality is a curable psychological
      disorder. YONG TIAM KUI speaks to two of them.

      YES. You can, through prayers and guidance:

      GAYS and bisexuals can change their sexual orientation
      through a programme of prayer and guidance from others
      who have gone through a similar conversion process.
      US-based clinical psychologist and theologian Dr
      Melvin W. Wong made this claim during a seminar
      organised by Malaysian CARE entitled "The Reality of
      Homosexuality" in Petaling Jaya recently.

      "Bisexuals can change. Gays can change, too," says
      Wong, chairman of the board of Exodus Global Alliance,
      an international Christian organisation which helps
      people who are "sexually broken". "The memories of
      years of sexual experience won't go away. But, the
      same sex attraction paradigm can be changed
      altogether. "They don't just stop the sexual
      behaviour. We take away the motivation, the
      psychological underpinning of the behaviour. "The
      degree of change boils down to motivation ... how much
      the person wants to change."

      Wong, who is assistant clinical professor and
      attending psychologist in the Department of Psychiatry
      of the University of California, says a gay
      orientation is created primarily by distant fathers.
      He says homosexual tendencies can develop if a father
      pushes his son away or if divorce occurs within the
      first three years of a boy's life. The one-and-a-half
      to three-year period of a child's life is critical, he
      adds, because this is when gender identity imprinting
      takes place.

      Wong, who is also director of the graduate level
      pastoral counselling programme of the Hong Kong
      Baptist Theological Seminary, says a homosexual
      orientation can also develop as a result of sexual
      abuse, sexual molestation or inappropriate sexual
      experimentation. "Gays go through a never-ending
      search for that perfect father or male figure that
      never existed in his life."They have a neurotic need
      to satisfy the need for masculine inclusion. They are
      constantly looking for something that they lack in
      men." He says EGA helps to fill this need by providing
      "care and acceptance of same sex individuals in the
      absence of a sexual relationship". "EGA is essentially
      a self-help group like Alcoholics Anonymous. But,
      unlike AA, the religious aspect is very heavily
      emphasised. "We have a lot of Bible study, worship and
      guidance from former strugglers who can show them the
      way. "They study the Bible, pray and listen to the
      stories of other people and they change. "There is a
      lot of disciplining by former strugglers (former
      gays). Older brothers taking care of younger brothers.
      "This allows them to develop a sense of inclusion.
      Many of them say 'I used to believe I was less than a
      guy. Now I feel I am one of the guys?"

      Wong claims that EGA has helped tens of thousands of
      gays and bisexuals change their sexual orientation in
      its 30 years of existence but he could not provide any
      supporting statistics. "We don't keep statistics. We
      don't believe in success rates. "We want gays to
      realise that despite their homosexuality, God loves
      them. They are struggling and they have no hope and I
      am saying that there is an option."
      ---snip---
    • Korry Korry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2005
        That statement from Mr. Wong sums it up for me.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2005
          Exgaywatch.com had a great discussion earlier this month about Exodus'
          own estimates of its success rates:

          "Math By Alan Chambers, Ex-Gays To Take Over World By 2010

          "All of these quotes are from Alan Chambers: [hint, watch the bold text]

          "'While the news is being touted in the homosexual community as
          another sign that homosexuality is genetic, the focus instead should
          be on the thousands of former homosexuals who have experienced freedom
          through Christ, the head of Exodus International said.(*) (2003)

          "'I am one of tens of thousands of people whom have successfully
          changed their sexual orientation.(*) (2004)

          "'Homosexuals need to know they are welcome at their local church,
          but they also need to know that hundreds of thousands of us have found
          freedom from the isolation and emptiness we experienced in gay life
          through the power of Jesus Christ'(*) (2005)

          "I pulled out my hand ExGayWatch pocket-calculator and did some work.
          Sustaining this amazing trend increasing by a power of 10 each year,
          the entire world population of 10 billion people will all be ex-gay in
          2010. I bow down to fellow Long Beach resident Scott for sending me
          these gems."

          Posted by Daniel Gonzales at July 6, 2005 04:04 PM:
          http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/2005/07/ex-gays_reprodu.html

          Daniel Gonzales also posted a great graphic depicting Chambers' estimates:
          http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/2005/07/click_to_view_f.html

          --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, Korry Korry
          <korrykorrykoan@y...> wrote:
          > That statement from Mr. Wong sums it up for me.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Scott Russell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 29, 2005
            Did anyone catch "Paula Zahn Now" on CNN last nite?

            I missed part one on Wednesday night, but this was apparently part two of a reporting on Love in Action's "Refuge" bootcamp for ex-gay teens.

            If this is an accurate report, things have changed FUNDAMENTALLY in their approach.

            Granted, the ex-gay "representative" was obviously un-polished and un-coached -- the word TRAINWRECK comes to mind... If he is indeed an official spokesman, things have changed WILDLY!

            Here's the e-mail I just send Paula:

            Dear Paula,

            Thank you so much for your expose on the ex-gay bootcamp. I was in the ex-gay movement for 10 years. And despite what your guest had to say, this is a FUNDAMENTAL change in their rhetoric. Once upon a time, they did INDEED promise "change" not just behavior modification. I was stunned to hear your guest say that he was "born this way" but is choosing to change his behavior. This is SO different from what I heard for years! They aren't forcing people into loveless marriages anymore? They aren't doing "reparative therapy"?

            And where are the "hundreds of thousands" of people "just like" your guest? There certainly may be that many people who have struggled with their sexual identity, but there I challenge John Smid or anyone with Exodus International to produce even 100,000 people who are successful, long-term ex-gays.

            For me, Paula, the issue comes down to one of community. I know what it is like to want so desperately to fit in and be accepted by the religious right. I was an evangelical for many years, but now I have found a Christian community who accepts me for who I am and has taught me that my sexuality is a gift from God. I never feared that God would reject me, only my family and friends. Well, turns out I needed new friends, and my family has just had to love me as I am -- a choice many families have to make everyday for many other reasons.

            Thank you once again for bringing these issues to light. I'm surprised at how fundamentally they have changed their approach and their promises. If your profile was accurate, I'd say the "ex-gay" movement as we know it will no longer exist in five years.

            Kindest regards -- LOVE your show!

            Scott

          • Goy Veh
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2005
              "Wong" ... also the name of China's currency. Probably just a
              coincidence, eh?

              http://g0ys.org

              --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "alankhoo92002"