Jay Bakker's Exodus Engagement Cancelled

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2005
      sarah over at exgaywatch.com noted(3) that Jay Bakker's Exodus
      appearance has been "CANCELLED"(1) according to his church's website,
      vivalarevolution.org. He is still on Exodus' conference website(2),
      but they may not have updated their site yet.

      I wonder who cancelled who. (It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode in
      which they discuss that there is no such thing as a mutual breakup).

      Norm!

      (1) http://vivalarevolution.org/jayschedule.htm

      (2) http://www.exodus2005.org/freedom/Featuring.cfm

      (3) http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/2005/07/qnotes_exodus_s.html
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2005
        Q-notes.com's editor, David Moore, posted a follow-up regarding Jay
        Bakker's canceled Exodus conference appearance. As Moore and Bakker
        had suspected would happen as a result of their interview, Exodus
        canceled Bakker's scheduled appearance at its annual conference:

        "I was asked not to speak because of what I had said in Q-
        Notes," Bakker confirmed. "They weren't very happy about it.

        "They never asked me what my thoughts or feelings on
        homosexuality actually were. So when they asked me after the
        fact, 'do you think it's a sin?" I had to tell them what I felt.
        I told them I was leaning towards no on that and we apparently
        didn't see things from the same perspective." (1)

        Miller contacted Exodus which confirmed that they canceled Bakker:

        "Upon learning of some theological differences regarding the
        issue of homosexuality, we have chosen to pursue other speaker
        options at our national conference and Youth Day event," [Alan
        Chambers, president of Exodus International] wrote. (1)

        Exodus' Bakker uninvite seems to be a major oversight on its part
        that raises several questions.

        * Why would Exodus invite a speaker to its conference without
        verifying he shared its same theology?
        * Why didn't Bakker's initial refusal to sign its speaker agreement
        raise red flags to conference organizers?
        * Why were conference orinsistentso insistant on having Bakker
        appear at this particular conference that featured Jerry Falwell --
        a man the Bakker family would seem to have a bitter history with?

        Either Exodus conference organizers were incompetent or they was
        some other agenda in bringing Bakker to the conference.

        Although Bakker has granted interviews with Miller, he doesn't seem
        to want to draw attention to the rejection. When Exodus canceled his
        appearance, his ministry's website simply stated "canceled" without
        attributing cause. For whatever reason, Exodus stills lists Bakker
        as a conference speaker on the conference's website(2).

        Norm!

        (1) http://www.q-notes.com/editorial/editorsnote_081305.html
        (2) http://www.exodus2005.org/freedom/Featuring.cfm
      • Tim
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2005
          Hey there,

          I couldn't help but notice the similarity in Jay Bakker's name with
          Jim
          & Tammy Fae. Is he related, possibly their son? I vaguely remember
          them
          talking about their kids on PTL many years ago and somehow associate
          his name with theirs.

          --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <nojam75@y...> wrote:
          > sarah over at exgaywatch.com noted(3) that Jay Bakker's Exodus
          > appearance has been "CANCELLED"(1) according to his church's
          website,
          > vivalarevolution.org. He is still on Exodus' conference website
          (2),
          > but they may not have updated their site yet.
          >
          > I wonder who cancelled who. (It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode
          in
          > which they discuss that there is no such thing as a mutual
          breakup).

          > Norm!
          >
          > (1) http://vivalarevolution.org/jayschedule.htm
          >
          > (2) http://www.exodus2005.org/freedom/Featuring.cfm
          >
          > (3)
          http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/2005/07/qnotes_exodus_s.html
        • moi
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2005
            Tim,

            Jay is the son of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker.

            Jackie