Falwell & Bakker at Exodus Conference!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
      I just noticed that Jerry Falwell and Jay Bakker are both scheduled to
      speak at Exodus' conference(1) later this month. The campy 2000
      documentary "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" alledges that Jerry Falwell
      tricked Jay's parents, Jim and Tammy Bakker, into giving-up control of
      their ministry, PTL. Falwell then betrayed the Bakkers' trust,
      denounced them, and forced PTL into bankruptcy.(2)

      I'm not sure what Jay's position on the PTL scandal is and whether he
      shares his mother's view of Falwell. Bakker and Falwell may not even
      cross paths at Exodus. Jay Bakker is scheduled to speak July 20 and
      during day of July 21 while Falwell is scheduled to speak the evening
      of July 21. But wouldn't you like to be fly on that wall?

      What's more disturbing is how willing Exodus is to align itself with
      an anti-gay, political figures like Falwell. Certainly his appearance
      hurts Exodus' credibility as a ministry to gay communities. Exodus
      seems more willing to allow itself to be used by the anti-gay movement
      to seem 'compassionate conservative'.

      Norm!

      (1) http://www.exodus2005.org/freedom/Featuring.cfm

      (2) http://www.eyesoftammyfaye.com/profram.htm
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2005
        Exgaywatch.com mentioned that David More, the editor of the local gay
        paper Q-Notes, questioned Jay Bakker about his upcoming appearance at
        Exodus. I've read the article(1) a couple times and I'm still not
        quite clear what Bakker's motivation is for speaking at Exodus, but he
        seems to be little cautious about his involvement with Exodus. He
        even agreed to speak to the gay paper and possibly jeopardize his
        appearance at Exodus because he wanted to assure the gay community
        that he is not anti-gay.

        Bakker seems to have sincere motivations: "I want all people to know
        God loves them just the way they are. That's my message and my
        mother's. Hopefully I'm going in and telling people who feel hopeless
        and tell them this is not the last stop. I just wanna' love poeple and
        I want to teach grace and compassion. The church needs that again." (1)

        However, if I remember correctly, in the 2000 documentary, The Eyes of
        Tammy Faye, Bakker's mother expressed her love of the gay community
        but also disagreed with homosexuality (I can't remember her exact
        words). Jay Bakker seems to be more accepting and welcomes gays and
        transgendered into his church and does not believe gays should change
        their sexual orientation. However, I believe many
        fundamentalist/evangelical churches would welcome 'sinners'. I guess
        what it boils down to is what Bakker's and his church's theology are
        regarding same-sex morality. But at face value, it seems Bakker is
        gay supportive.

        According to Bakker, Exodus was "insistent" that he be at the same
        conference with Falwell. Exodus even modified its speaking contract
        and removed some of its restrictions regarding what Bakker can talk
        about. Maybe I'm too suspicious, but this sounds like some kind of
        set-up. Maybe Falwell will use Exodus and Bakker to soften his image
        by apologizing to Bakker and the gay community.

        Just thinking,

        Norm!

        (1) http://www.q-notes.com/editorial/editorsnote_070205.html
      • JD
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2005
          You mention morality in your post.

          I think it's imperative to draw the distinction between morality and ethic.

          Morality is a set of distinct rules, most often determined by a group or
          society-at-large, as a matter of self-preservation and perpetuation.

          Ethic is a form of philosophy, requiring a train of independent thought that
          does not require the guidelines of morality. Instead, ethics question the
          means AND the ends, attempting to discern harm versus non-harm to people.
          Morality makes no such distinction; instead, morality resembles blind mob
          rule: whomever may be harmed by morality isn't given a voice. In ethical
          philosophy, those harmed by morality have a voice to show the error of
          morality and thus change it, at least for themselves if not for the group.
          Morality does not encourage free thinking nor self-determination; only
          ethical philosophy and discourse does these things.

          In any debate, a stance of ethical reason always trumps morality.

          Sincerely,
          Tien-Lung Fu