the secret life of heterosexuals

  • Legal Alien
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      Heterosexuals are a strange lot and lead a depraved life I think. On Fridays and Saturdays they party all night and often take home a different sexual partner and often dont use protection.

      When they get older, they often begin to lose attraction in their partner and seek others to join their sexual adventures. They form clubs where they can go to freely have sex with whomever takes their fancy. In at least one country (the UK) they have an activity called "dogging" where they turn up at outdoor parks and have various degrees of sex with other men and women, often allowing many to watch and or take part. They've even been known to frequent porn theatres to pick up strange men, potentially infected with all sorts of disease.

      A lot of straight people, particularly men, advocate multiple sex partners as being a good thing, without regard for the emotions that this can arouse. Many straight men think it normal to have mistresses.

      With all this lewd and depraved activity, it is no wonder that heterosexuals have such a bad name. It is a wonder that there arent more laws curtailing their behaviour.

      Most of you will have recognised that this is a tongue in cheek, but serious, response to the stereotyping of gay lifestyles. The behaviours I've quoted do exist (look up dogging on the internet to see many examples for that and there are sex clubs for straights galore). However, most of the world does not choose to group the entire heterosexual population in this "depraved" category, although it is apparently the norm for young people now to have sex with lots of different partners.

      Why should gay men be different? Well, I suspect that gay males do behave in slightly more extreme ways and perhaps more often fall into promiscuity, although I wouldnt suggest it being the norm by any means (I actually have no idea and would not care to generalise much). Here are some thoughts:

      1) men typically want sex more often than women and if both partners are male, then the frequency might increase
      2) being continuously condemned and made to feel "sub-normal" has a negative effect - it either reduces people to low self-esteem, or seemingly forces an opposite reaction of taking the particular characteristic and being "proud" of it - "glad to be gay" in this case
      3) generalising from your own experience is often a bad idea, as it usually doesnt embrace the entire spectrum of reality. Here are some examples:

      i) I'm english with brown hair and white skin - everyone I met until I was 18 or so spoke with an english accent, therefore everyone does and most people in the world are white
      ii) I'm an introvert and whilst I enjoy chatting with people it drains me, therefore everyone must feel this way (extroverts actually feel a buzz typically from chatting, not drained)

      I could go on, but I dont think I will - just suffice to say that whilst a large number of heterosexuals have random unprotected sex with multiple partners, this probably isnt true of the entire straight population. I dont suspect it is true of the gay population too, despite what some anti-gay people would have us believe, although undoubtedly both communities have serious bad behaviour.

      Lets not resort to attacking each other and please lets be a bit more considerate of other peoples views and experiences when we send an email. Just because the other person doesnt agree, doesnt mean they are a bad person, or even a fool, just that they've either seen a different perspective, or just not seen the perspective we have.

      Alan

      --

      Whatever you Wanadoo:
      http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/

    • Korry Korry
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- Legal Alien <legalAlienInDC@...> wrote:
        > I dont suspect it is
        > true of the gay population too, despite what some
        > anti-gay people would have us believe, although
        > undoubtedly both communities have serious bad
        > behaviour.
        >
        > Alan

        I am not anti-gay, Alan, just anti-stupid,
        unreflective behavior and knee-jerk reactionary
        mindsets. Just because Jerry Falwell doesn�t like us
        doesn�t mean we have to engage in whitewashing
        reality. The AIDS epidemic was empirical proof that
        gay men engage in a level of mass-humping way beyond
        your average straight guy.

        And by the way, this facet of gay male life is
        extremely well-documented throughout modern gay
        literature, written by gay male writers. I mean, Larry
        Kramer is just a starting point, though you can reach
        back to John Rechy if you like.

        Is the whole Jesus-made-me-straight trip fucked up?
        Yes. But so is a huge part of modern gay male life.
        You can play the victim and scream homophobia all you
        want. I just take notice of the Sex Panic! chapters
        that sprang up like mushrooms across big cities a few
        years ago, with horny circuit party boys declaring war
        on "condom Nazis" (that is, gay male safe sex
        advocates), and demanding their right to bareback.

        The entire gay male culture, as seen in everything
        from your latest issues of Out, Genre, and the
        Advocate to your typical episode of Queer as Folk is
        focussed on looks and fucking. That it cultivates
        spiritual anihilation doesn�t seem bother to many
        people.

        Korry

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • Dannyzahalfangel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
          hello alan,
          i just wanted to respond to your messages for u sound like a very
          intellegent individual and I like to commend ppl who express themselves freely
          without attempting to verbally attack persons.
          u brought up some special points that are truly awesome. this whole time
          i have read everyones replies and quoted and answered to some of them, and
          laughed only b/c this has been a very entertaining/interesting and humorous
          debate (in my opinion).
          Reality is, ppl generalise- they will always generalise, I generalise,
          you generalise, we all generalise. this will never change.
          society in general is corrupt (in my opinion the gay community is a bit
          more corrupt then the hetereosexual, BUT i don't hate b/c of it), no matter gay
          or str8 many things are wrongfully done and one should not judge each other
          based on these things, but sometimes the truth hurts and then ppl start
          thinking: well s/he's talking 'bad' about my personal experiences and lifestyle- its
          only but a generalazation and not everyone falls within these groups. if u do
          - then oh well so what i fall in there, next comment...
          it shouldn't be taken personal for the other person generalising will surely
          fall under another charecter that can be just as immoral or imperfect, for we
          all are not perfect human beings and we all sin every day in one form or
          another.
          if one doesn't want to be charecterised a certain way theres a possibly
          one can change it- for instance:
          1 problem I have is smoking cigarettes- so many gays smoke, in fact the
          cigarette companies will specifically target gays as the commercial 'truth'
          states; i can change that stereotype of myself individually and if i don't then
          i'm charectorised as a gay smoker and so what- if it really bothered me then
          i'd change otherwise i've got to put up with the stereotypes (for there will
          always be generalising)..
          by the way, i just generalised using my experience but as u note it came
          with a fact, generalising by using ur own experiences has downfalls as well as it
          has positive outcomes for it can determine an unknown problem that has not
          been looked upon beforehand.
          wonderful points u brought up alan.
          i couldn't agree with some of them more : )
          ~danny