Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Guys my age that have been there, done that

  • dixibehr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2004
      In a message dated 11/18/04 3:46:02 PM, latinsecrecy@... writes:

      > Hi guys,
      >
      > I'm Mike, 24, struggling with wanting to be str8 yet knowing inside
      > I'm gay. I'm a Christian and I'm on the other "ex-gay" boards as I
      > try and figure this out. I'm just wondering if there are guys in
      > their 20's that tried to change but couldn't that wanna share with me
      > what they've been through? I'm not looking for thee answer, just
      > answers period and experiences and I'll make my own decisions. I'm
      > not into group think mentality. And neither was Jesus.
      >
      > Take care,
      > Mike

      Dear soul,

      You can't be anything you're not! Remember how Jesus said, "Which of you, by
      taking thought, can add one cubit to his stature, or one day to his life? You
      cannot make a single hair on your head black or white."

      How much more does this apply to matters of sexual orientation. If you decide
      to be celibate--which is a viable option if you feel in your heart this is
      what Jesus asks of you, then God bless you. You will feel comfortable with this
      decision (at least, most of the time). But you do not become heterosexual by
      this abstinence. This foolish idea is propogated by NARTH, which defines
      "successful repair of sexual orientation" as mere abstinence from homogenital
      activity. Never mind that the person is still yearning for same-sex companionship
      and love and emotional and physical intimacy.

      I would suggest you read STRANGER AT THE GATE: TO BE GAY AND CHRISTIAN IN
      AMERICA by Mel White. (The movies CHUCK AND BUCK and SCHOOL OF ROCK were written
      and directed by his son Michael.)

      Mel was raised in a conservative evangelical (read "fundamentalist") home,
      pillar of the choir, Youth for Christ, Bible Clubs, hit man for Jesus, typical
      overachiever, pastor, seminary professor, married, 2 kids, author of countless
      Christian books under his own name, producer of Christian TV shows and Movies,
      ghostwriter for Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and Billy Graham.

      And all this time, he had a dirty little secret.

      I will say no more. Just read his book. You can get it through Amazon.com or
      most mainstream bookstores (I got mine at B. Dalton).

      I don't agree with everything he said and did, and having done some of them,
      I would have wished he had not mentioned them--but you must admire his candor.

      Remember this: if you act with the courage God gives you, there will be a
      great blessing at the end of this process. Trust me. I know.

      Hugs,

      Jack

    • dixibehr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2004
        In a message dated 11/18/04 3:59:11 PM, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > I learned,
        > however, that God's primary concern is not to change the sexual
        > orientation of gay people -- to bring them in line with social
        > norms -- but to help them become secure in Him, assured of His love
        > and acceptance and set apart to follow Him faithfully and
        > responsibly.

        This says it all--God bless you!

      • J
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2004
          Michael,

          Im 27, have/and currently still involved with the
          whole ex-gay thing...Ive been interested in it for the
          past 2 years (im not christian, but jewish) and i cant
          proclaim its made my homosexual desires vanish (yet?),
          but i can say that the work ive done on the ex-gay
          weekends and the therapy ive done/and do with a
          reparative therapist has been most beneficial for me.
          ive learnt parts to myself i never knew existed, and
          pulled down defensive walls i have put up years ago.

          i believe the whole world can benefit from rep.
          therapy as we all go through shit in our lives that we
          need to fix. i never found the mentors i seeked
          within the ex-gay movement to shove ex-gay literature
          down my throat (or anything else for that matter :)...

          though, still do gay things... i remain on the journey
          to heterosexuality as i believe its a lifestyle that
          betters fits my personal and spiritual destiny.

          i have noticed differences in my personality,
          masculinity and sexuality since that journey begun,
          and am happy with those changes. but am not sure where
          this whole journey will take me.

          later
          jayson

          The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
          http://my.yahoo.com
        • dixibehr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2004
            In a message dated 11/19/04 3:00:20 PM, Jayson2377@... writes:

            > but i can say that the work ive done on the ex-gay
            > weekends and the therapy ive done/and do with a
            > reparative therapist has been most beneficial for me.
            > ive learnt parts to myself i never knew existed, and
            > pulled down defensive walls i have put up years ago.

            I'm not saying anying against the positive things you have experienced, but
            do know that reparitvie therapy is NOT supported by the AMA, the APA, or APsA.
            In fact, in sevral states, therapists that claim to make a gay man straight
            will have their licenceses revoked for going against the received ethical
            guidelines of their profession.

            I dont' claim to know you or your sexuality or your full story. You may be a
            bisexual or what I'veh eard called a latent or frigid heterosexual.

            But understand this: One cannot make a true homosexual straight, any more
            than one can make a true heterosexual gay.