Introducing myself

  • Bill Prickett
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2004
      My name is Bill, from Dallas, Texas. ("Howdy!") I just joined the
      group and wanted to introduce myself. For more than 20 years, I was
      in the ministry, with 11+ years as a Southern Baptist pastor in the
      deep south. I'd known I was gay since I was a kid, though I didn't
      have a frame of reference or vocabulary to express that. I had a
      conversion experience in my late teens, and got involved with a very,
      very fundamental para-churh organization. It was clear that my secret
      sexual desires (and activities) were wrong, so I embarked on my
      journey to ignore and/or change. Through the years, like most of
      you, I've tried it all. I heard a visiting teacher talking about his
      own struggle and the "cure" he'd found in an ex-gay ministry. There
      was nothing like that in my area, so I began to collect information,
      reading materials…anything to help. I attended a couple of Exodus
      conferences. I even began to teach at various conferences and
      ultimately founded an ex-gay ministry in my region. But I still knew
      it wasn't working for me. I assumed I was the only one; everyone else
      was saying how much their lives had changed…so I just kept saying the
      right things, believing it would eventually work for me as well. At
      the time, I was married, with 2 children and the pastor of a very
      successful, growing church.

      Won't bore you with all the details, but I left the ministry and my
      wife and I divorced. Surprising, it was NOT over the gay issue. But
      during the separation, I had an affair and determined it was time to
      confront my sexuality. To do so, I assumed, meant I had to abandon my
      faith and my ministry.

      Shortly afterwards, I moved to Southern California and met a
      wonderful group of G-L Christians who helped me to reconcile my faith
      and my sexual identity. In time, I got involved in leadership with
      this group (www.ECWR.org) and worked with them for about 4 years. In
      that time, we saw so many sad cases of people who had "failed" in the
      ex-gay ministry. Their self-esteem and faith were virtually
      destroyed. Some were never able to recover; a few chose death as the
      only option. It broke my heart. Several of us who had come out the ex-
      gay ministries (i.e., Exodus) tried to open up a dialogue with the
      group, but of course, they refused. It still breaks my heart.

      Anyway, sorry to ramble on. I appreciate that this groups is here and
      I will certainly send folks to visit. My best to you all!

      Bill Prickett,
      Dallas, TX
      www.BillPrickett.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2004
        Hey Bill, welcome! Sounds like you've had quite a journey and
        thankfully you have lived to tell the tale. You've held on to your
        faith (or grown in it, is perhaps better put) and now live an honest
        and authentic life before God, before man and before yourself.
        Bravo! I live in New York City where I attend a (all gay) Bible
        study here on Friday evenings which is led by Ralph Blair, who, as
        you know is the founder of EC. He is quite a phenomenal bible
        teacher. And as Ralph often says, EC is not a gay Christian
        ministry. Rather, it is a Christian ministry for people who happen
        to be gay.

        Invariably when I invite people to the study they usually end up
        saying something like, "Man, I can't even find a bible study with
        heterosexual people this rich anywhere!" We do the study from 6:30
        to 8:00 and then at 8:00 we all go out to dinner together. The New
        York Times did an article on the study some time ago and began their
        article with: "It's not the place you'd expect to find a group of
        gay men in Manhattan on a Friday night..." and indeed it isn't.
        It's a rich fellowship and I have also had the pleasure of getting
        to know some of the guys from ECWR (EC western region) over the
        years. Do you ever attend the annual EC connection conferences,
        either on the east or the west?

        -Alex

        --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Prickett"