Re: interesting article

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
      Thanks for the article. Although I appreciate where the author is
      coming from, my personal opinion is that this is not so much about
      seeking a "liberating interpretation of Bible," which I think is
      somewhat misleading and not particularly accurate. We're not trying
      to bend the passages to make them say something that's more
      appealing, liberating or anything else. Rather, this is about
      seeking the truth of the Bible and interpreting these and other
      passages properly. As 2,000+ years of history has taught us time
      and again, what the Bible really says vs. what we may have been
      taught it says doesn't always line up.

      -Alex

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, abcdnewguydude

      www.sojourners.com)
      > Gay Christians seek liberating interpretation of Bible
      >
      > By Gayle Pollard-Terry
      >
      > Los Angeles Times
      >

      > At the recent national convocation of the Unity Fellowship of
      Christ
      > Church in Los Angeles, one of the most popular workshops
      > was "Homosexuality and the Bible." It started with a prayer, then
      > challenged the conservative interpretation of certain texts, such
      as
      > the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, comparing them to Scriptures once
      > used by whites to justify slavery and verses cited to support
      second-
      > class status for women.
      >
      > Rejecting a literal reading of the laws of Leviticus, which
      reference
      > homosexuality, the Rev. Jacquelyn Holland, from the Unity
      Fellowship
      > of Christ Church in Newark, N.J., put the Scripture in the context
      of
      > when and where it was written.
      >
      > "The Bible was written at a particular time, by a particular group
      of
      > people," she said. "It speaks to their culture and to some of
      their
      > history." Calling for a liberating interpretation of the Bible,
      the
      > panelists also addressed texts in the New Testament.
      >
      > "Jesus never said one word about homosexuality. The only thing
      Jesus
      > said was to love everybody," said the Rev. Benita Ramsey, the
      > minister of the Unity Fellowship of Christ Church in Riverside,
      > Calif. "When Jesus died on the cross, the old laws went away. If
      you
      > are in a loving relationship, God loves you."
      >
      > The Rev. Horace Griffin, a theology professor, said that only six
      > books in the Bible address homosexuality.
      >
      > "What I raise in my work is, generally African-American Christians
      > have chosen those passages selectively. … The Bible is addressing
      > homosexual activity without an understanding of how we view
      > homosexuality in the 21st century.
      >
      > "We would certainly not say they had slavery in the Bible, and it
      was
      > not condemned, so we should follow the mode of Abraham and Job,"
      he
      > said.
      >
      > Addressing how women are treated in some Scriptures, Griffin
      > said, "We have moved beyond the text of women (being) inferior to
      > men."
      >
      > The conservative interpretation of the Bible favored by most black
      > congregations presents obstacles for black, gay Christians.
      >
      > "There are a lot of black same-gender-loving people who are
      oppressed
      > by the Bible," said Jasmyne Cannick during a break between
      workshops
      > at the convocation. As a result, she said, they don't go to
      church,
      > although "black people as a whole are spiritual people. When
      things
      > go wrong, we pray. We pray on a daily basis. I know black gay
      people
      > who don't feel that they can pray to God, that they can call on
      God
      > for help. I know black gay people who actually do believe they are
      > going to hell."
    • Jays
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
        hi alex... im looking for a post u wrote that i was wondering if you
        can forward to me as i thought it was so informational but couldnt
        find it... it was a post you wrote abt on why homosexuaity can not be
        treated as an addiction such as aloholism, drug abuse and obesity...
        you must have posted it in the past 3-4 weeks.... know which one im
        talking abt?

        if u can forward it to me at jayson2377@... or repost it here,
        id greatly appreciate it.

        jayson
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
          Hi Jayson,

          I think you may be referring to post #3201.

          -Alex

          --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Jays" <Jayson2377@y...>