Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Re: Anyone heard of Joanne Highley

  • moi
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
      Alex,

      Just how did she alienate herself, was it due to her attitude, or,
      condmnation...or?

      Thanks,

      Jackie

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
        Unfortunately both. Sadly, she used to write letters to many Exodus
        and other "ex-gay" ministry leaders telling them where they were off
        in their doctrine and offering her "corrections." While all of us
        may have the Holy Spirit who provides insight and guidance, none of
        have the final word of revelation on all things. The Bible reminds
        us that we all will see things down here through a dark glass.
        Remembering this helps to keep us humble. Forgeting this we'll have
        a tendency to fall into the trap of thinking they we have the final
        word of revelation on every matter in God's word. Very dangerous
        and arrogant terrain to tread upon indeed. The fruit of this is
        that she and her ministry are not very respected even among their
        fellow "ex-gay" circles.

        The Apostle Paul says: "We know that we all possess knowledge;
        knowledge puffs up but love builds up" [1 Corinthians 8:1]. Paul is
        saying that knowledge is important. And we all need to search the
        Scriptures. But what is even more important than searching the
        scriptures and gaining knowledge is knowing how to apply that
        knowledge in love. Because knowledge in and of itself will only
        make us arrogant. But love will build up the body. And if we fail
        at love, Paul reminds us, we fail at all else.

        -Alex

        --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, moi <lyricaloasis@g...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
          Craig, do you by chance have a copy of the article? Perhaps you can
          post it, email it to me at "nyguy_1225@..." or provide a link
          where it can be found on-line? Many thanks.

          -Alex

          --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <nclotus@t...> wrote:

          > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, nyguy_1225 <no_reply@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Funny you should ask. I know Joanne Highley very well. I've
          known
          > > Joanne, her husband Ron (a man who was the salt of the earth and
          > who
          > > passed away a couple of years ago after losing his battle with
          > > pulmonary fibrosis), and their ministry, for over 20 years.
          > >
          > > -Alex
          > >

          > Her husband may be a "man of God", but she was quoted saying some
          > pretty hateful things in our local paper.
          >
          > She came across as an extreme bigot. Of course, the church in
          which
          > she spoke is not known for its love of the gay community.
          >
          > -Craig
        • drespapa
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
            I saw the Highleys speak at a conference years ago and thought they were
            great, had some good insight into dealing with sexual addiction. I spoke to
            her after and she told me then (probably around 1990) that their ministry
            and Exodus were not in agreement. At that time I was just starting to play
            the "ex-gay" game. I had no contact with them for years but when I moved to
            NYC after a couple years at Bible school upstate. I looked them up and went
            to a meeting at which I saw things that just didn't sit right. I decided
            never to go back but was also pretty desperate for some kind of counseling.
            I was working in a conservative ministry school and I asked the pres. about
            it, he mentioned them but did make some comment that made it clear he wasn't
            entirely behind the way they functioned. I pursued a different route though
            twice I was invited back by friends that I had met who were somewhat active.
            Each time I felt very uneasy from the start. I've sat through a number of
            different "ex-gay" groups but never reacted the way I did then. I would
            never go back. On the other hand I knew two people who seem to have
            benefited and actually thrived in part because of her teaching. They both
            went on to marry partners of the opposite sex and was at one time doing some
            counseling for Life Ministries. I was lucky enough to find a counselor who
            after a few months looked at me and said "your issue is not being gay and
            you need to stop wasting time focusing on it , your issue is sexual
            addiction"f I swear I heard bells ringing and a giant choir singing a
            joyful song LOL. The interesting part about him saying that is that he is
            affiliated with the same fellowship that my school was part of, they would
            have been mortified to hear him say that. And his church and counseling
            center was quite active in ex-gay stuff. Anyway I got off track. It's sad
            that people can get so convinced of their own "gift" that they decide they
            don't have to answer to anybody or follow anyone else's guidelines. I
            almost jumped out of my chair when I saw her name on my monitor - a voice
            from the past!!

            wrote:
            > Alex,
            >
            > Just how did she alienate herself, was it due to her attitude, or,
            > condmnation...or?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jackie
            >

            > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:01:33 -0000, nyguy_1225
            <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > > I'm not a tad surprised. You'll note that although they were
            > > husband and wife, I did make a distinction between Ron and
            Joanne.
            > > While Ron was the salt of the earth and we had great respect and
            > > admiration for each other despite our differences in doctrine,
            > > Joanne, on the other hand, has even alienated herself from
            Exodus at
            > > large and most of the other "ex-gay" ministries -- whether under
            the
            > > Exodus umbrella or outside of it. And if even the other "ex-gay"
            > > ministry leaders avoid her like the plague, that should tell you
            > > something.
            > >

            > > -Alex
            > >
            > > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <nclotus@t...>
            wrote:

            > > > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, nyguy_1225
            <no_reply@y...>

            > > known
            > > > who

            > > > Her husband may be a "man of God", but she was quoted saying
            some
            > > > pretty hateful things in our local paper.
            > > >
            > > > She came across as an extreme bigot. Of course, the church in
            > > which
            > > > she spoke is not known for its love of the gay community.
            > > >
            > > > -Craig
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Craig
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
              No prob, Alex. Here is the link:

              http://www.news-record.com/news/columnists/staff/ajcol_101704.htm

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
                Thanks, Craig. Much obliged. Typical Joanne Highley rhetoric.
                Although she's shrewd and prudent enough to be very careful about
                whom she admits this to, she makes no bones about her belief that
                Exodus and their ministries "are not setting anyone free from
                homosexuality." (That's probably one of few things she and I agree
                on.) However, what I've always found most frightening is her belief
                that only she and her ministry are being used by God to "set people
                free" from homosexuality. Not only is that the height of arrogance,
                it's quite a similar mindset to that which Jim Jones adopted before
                going off the deep end. To say nothing of the myriad of theologians
                and Bible scholars who think her exegesis needs some serious
                tweaking.

                Thanks again!

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
                  Your testimony and experience with Joanne and LIFE Ministry is not
                  an uncommon one. It's been said that she ministers out of her own
                  need (for significance, etc). The truth be told, I believe that she
                  truly loves God and has a sincere desire to serve and be used by
                  Him. But when we cease to be accountable to anyone or anything, we
                  open ourselves up to all kinds of potential trouble and delusions.

                  Jimmy Swaggart also loves God and has a sincere desire to serve and
                  be used by Him. But look what happened to him when he stopped being
                  accountable to anyone, even to his own leaders? It's been a
                  downward spiral for him ever since. We all need people who can
                  challenge us and keep us in line. So Joanne has become an
                  independent maverick in the "ex-gay" movement who has pretty much
                  alienated herself from most of the others in her own camp.

                  -Alex

                  --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "drespapa" <drespapa@c...>