Re: Anyone heard of Joanne Highley

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
      I'm not a tad surprised. You'll note that although they were
      husband and wife, I did make a distinction between Ron and Joanne.
      While Ron was the salt of the earth and we had great respect and
      admiration for each other despite our differences in doctrine,
      Joanne, on the other hand, has even alienated herself from Exodus at
      large and most of the other "ex-gay" ministries -- whether under the
      Exodus umbrella or outside of it. And if even the other "ex-gay"
      ministry leaders avoid her like the plague, that should tell you
      something.

      -Alex

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <nclotus@t...> wrote:

      > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, nyguy_1225 <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Funny you should ask. I know Joanne Highley very well. I've
      known
      > > Joanne, her husband Ron (a man who was the salt of the earth and
      > who
      > > passed away a couple of years ago after losing his battle with
      > > pulmonary fibrosis), and their ministry, for over 20 years.
      > >
      > > -Alex
      > >

      > Her husband may be a "man of God", but she was quoted saying some
      > pretty hateful things in our local paper.
      >
      > She came across as an extreme bigot. Of course, the church in
      which
      > she spoke is not known for its love of the gay community.
      >
      > -Craig
    • moi
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
        Alex,

        Just how did she alienate herself, was it due to her attitude, or,
        condmnation...or?

        Thanks,

        Jackie

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
          Unfortunately both. Sadly, she used to write letters to many Exodus
          and other "ex-gay" ministry leaders telling them where they were off
          in their doctrine and offering her "corrections." While all of us
          may have the Holy Spirit who provides insight and guidance, none of
          have the final word of revelation on all things. The Bible reminds
          us that we all will see things down here through a dark glass.
          Remembering this helps to keep us humble. Forgeting this we'll have
          a tendency to fall into the trap of thinking they we have the final
          word of revelation on every matter in God's word. Very dangerous
          and arrogant terrain to tread upon indeed. The fruit of this is
          that she and her ministry are not very respected even among their
          fellow "ex-gay" circles.

          The Apostle Paul says: "We know that we all possess knowledge;
          knowledge puffs up but love builds up" [1 Corinthians 8:1]. Paul is
          saying that knowledge is important. And we all need to search the
          Scriptures. But what is even more important than searching the
          scriptures and gaining knowledge is knowing how to apply that
          knowledge in love. Because knowledge in and of itself will only
          make us arrogant. But love will build up the body. And if we fail
          at love, Paul reminds us, we fail at all else.

          -Alex

          --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, moi <lyricaloasis@g...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
            Craig, do you by chance have a copy of the article? Perhaps you can
            post it, email it to me at "nyguy_1225@..." or provide a link
            where it can be found on-line? Many thanks.

            -Alex

            --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <nclotus@t...> wrote:

            > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, nyguy_1225 <no_reply@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Funny you should ask. I know Joanne Highley very well. I've
            known
            > > Joanne, her husband Ron (a man who was the salt of the earth and
            > who
            > > passed away a couple of years ago after losing his battle with
            > > pulmonary fibrosis), and their ministry, for over 20 years.
            > >
            > > -Alex
            > >

            > Her husband may be a "man of God", but she was quoted saying some
            > pretty hateful things in our local paper.
            >
            > She came across as an extreme bigot. Of course, the church in
            which
            > she spoke is not known for its love of the gay community.
            >
            > -Craig
          • drespapa
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 18, 2004
              I saw the Highleys speak at a conference years ago and thought they were
              great, had some good insight into dealing with sexual addiction. I spoke to
              her after and she told me then (probably around 1990) that their ministry
              and Exodus were not in agreement. At that time I was just starting to play
              the "ex-gay" game. I had no contact with them for years but when I moved to
              NYC after a couple years at Bible school upstate. I looked them up and went
              to a meeting at which I saw things that just didn't sit right. I decided
              never to go back but was also pretty desperate for some kind of counseling.
              I was working in a conservative ministry school and I asked the pres. about
              it, he mentioned them but did make some comment that made it clear he wasn't
              entirely behind the way they functioned. I pursued a different route though
              twice I was invited back by friends that I had met who were somewhat active.
              Each time I felt very uneasy from the start. I've sat through a number of
              different "ex-gay" groups but never reacted the way I did then. I would
              never go back. On the other hand I knew two people who seem to have
              benefited and actually thrived in part because of her teaching. They both
              went on to marry partners of the opposite sex and was at one time doing some
              counseling for Life Ministries. I was lucky enough to find a counselor who
              after a few months looked at me and said "your issue is not being gay and
              you need to stop wasting time focusing on it , your issue is sexual
              addiction"f I swear I heard bells ringing and a giant choir singing a
              joyful song LOL. The interesting part about him saying that is that he is
              affiliated with the same fellowship that my school was part of, they would
              have been mortified to hear him say that. And his church and counseling
              center was quite active in ex-gay stuff. Anyway I got off track. It's sad
              that people can get so convinced of their own "gift" that they decide they
              don't have to answer to anybody or follow anyone else's guidelines. I
              almost jumped out of my chair when I saw her name on my monitor - a voice
              from the past!!

              wrote:
              > Alex,
              >
              > Just how did she alienate herself, was it due to her attitude, or,
              > condmnation...or?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jackie
              >

              > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:01:33 -0000, nyguy_1225
              <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > > I'm not a tad surprised. You'll note that although they were
              > > husband and wife, I did make a distinction between Ron and
              Joanne.
              > > While Ron was the salt of the earth and we had great respect and
              > > admiration for each other despite our differences in doctrine,
              > > Joanne, on the other hand, has even alienated herself from
              Exodus at
              > > large and most of the other "ex-gay" ministries -- whether under
              the
              > > Exodus umbrella or outside of it. And if even the other "ex-gay"
              > > ministry leaders avoid her like the plague, that should tell you
              > > something.
              > >

              > > -Alex
              > >
              > > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <nclotus@t...>
              wrote:

              > > > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, nyguy_1225
              <no_reply@y...>

              > > known
              > > > who

              > > > Her husband may be a "man of God", but she was quoted saying
              some
              > > > pretty hateful things in our local paper.
              > > >
              > > > She came across as an extreme bigot. Of course, the church in
              > > which
              > > > she spoke is not known for its love of the gay community.
              > > >
              > > > -Craig
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Craig
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
                No prob, Alex. Here is the link:

                http://www.news-record.com/news/columnists/staff/ajcol_101704.htm

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
                  Thanks, Craig. Much obliged. Typical Joanne Highley rhetoric.
                  Although she's shrewd and prudent enough to be very careful about
                  whom she admits this to, she makes no bones about her belief that
                  Exodus and their ministries "are not setting anyone free from
                  homosexuality." (That's probably one of few things she and I agree
                  on.) However, what I've always found most frightening is her belief
                  that only she and her ministry are being used by God to "set people
                  free" from homosexuality. Not only is that the height of arrogance,
                  it's quite a similar mindset to that which Jim Jones adopted before
                  going off the deep end. To say nothing of the myriad of theologians
                  and Bible scholars who think her exegesis needs some serious
                  tweaking.

                  Thanks again!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
                    Your testimony and experience with Joanne and LIFE Ministry is not
                    an uncommon one. It's been said that she ministers out of her own
                    need (for significance, etc). The truth be told, I believe that she
                    truly loves God and has a sincere desire to serve and be used by
                    Him. But when we cease to be accountable to anyone or anything, we
                    open ourselves up to all kinds of potential trouble and delusions.

                    Jimmy Swaggart also loves God and has a sincere desire to serve and
                    be used by Him. But look what happened to him when he stopped being
                    accountable to anyone, even to his own leaders? It's been a
                    downward spiral for him ever since. We all need people who can
                    challenge us and keep us in line. So Joanne has become an
                    independent maverick in the "ex-gay" movement who has pretty much
                    alienated herself from most of the others in her own camp.

                    -Alex

                    --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "drespapa" <drespapa@c...>