Re: [ExExGayMinistry] Re: Thoughts on Romans Chapter 1

  • DALE MALHENZIE
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 9, 2004
      Alex, I am not a divinical major and for you to suggest that I am picking and choosing is out of line. I compare scripture with other scriptures. Nor do I have total recall. I am not a judge to say anything is wrong or any person is sinning by having same sex. I only know that I felt very much like I had sinned after I did. I even remember the palpitations in my chest that I would get when I was on my way to meeting a guy.As far as feeling free by admitting that I am gay. that would lead me into less freedom because then I would totally feel like I had failed my God and caved into someone elses philosophy. I have to make my own choices and read HIs word for my self. I hadn't read much lately so you have stimulated me to read some. Dale-

      nyguy_1225 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:<<I do find a verse that says in 1 Tim 3:2 -- a bishop then must be
      the husband of one wife and later on even a deacon should be the
      husband of one wife.>>

      Yes, these verses address God's will that Christians not have
      multiple spouses. And Christians who indeed adhere to this, as well
      as homosexual partners, are both seeking to fulfill the same
      fundamental, God-implanted human need for a shared life of intimate,
      committed and exclusive love with one other human being. And
      they're both striving to do the one thing the Lord considered
      supremely important about all sexual relationships: they are living
      their sexual lives within their covenants with each other.

      <<I also know of a verse that talks about marrying if you can't
      maintain self control.>>

      Indeed. You're referencing Paul's admonition in 1 Corinthians.
      Even the Apostle Paul, who advocated singleness as "the better way,"
      knew that most people are not given the "gift" of celibacy and
      therefore says that if one doesn't have this gift, one should
      marry "for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." In
      fact, from the very beginning God declared, "it is not good for man
      to be alone." Paul further states that each one should have his or
      her own spouse "to [among other things] prevent immorality" and, on
      the same line, speaks of the importance of not depriving one's own
      mate of physical intimacy. Paul well understood the power of this
      most wondrous and complex aspect of our humanity and how central and
      intrinsically connected it is to our hearts and souls.

      But, Dale, for someone who started his argument a few days ago by
      warning against the danger of isolating certain passages and words
      to make a point (you said if we pick and choose what we want from it
      we can get it to say anything), it would appear you're now guilty of
      the very thing you warned against.

      Are you getting caught up on the literal translation of the
      word "marry?" Is this word in this passage what you base your
      doctrine on? For gay people, and so many others, very selective
      literal Biblical interpretation, removed from its social and
      historical context, has been devastating. It is still being used to
      justify the denial of equality and human rights. Equally disturbing,
      it has been used to make some gay individuals hate themselves and
      has blighted their relationship with God.

      It should be pointed out that Jesus NEVER applied any passage or law
      in a wooden or literalistic way. Rather, he looked at and spoke
      about the original purpose of it. The radical consequences which
      resulted from Jesus looking at the Sabbath, for example, in this way
      are clear in all the gospels. He blatantly disregarded the onerous
      rabbinical interpretations of what Sabbath observance required on
      the grounds that the institution was intended to be a blessing and
      not a burden [e.g. Mark 2:27]. The application of those same
      interpretive principles to the few passages many Christians still
      use for their antigay theology would similarly lead to more
      compassionate conclusions regarding homosexuality.

      Paul also perpetuated the ancient place of women in the church,
      admonishing them to cover their heads and keep silent. How do you
      handle those passages? Paul also wrote in Ephesians that slaves
      must obey their masters and do so cheerfully. The obedient slave
      will find his or her reward in heaven. (These are the famous
      passages quoted so often during the Civil War to justify slavery.)
      Slave owners were not defensive about owning slaves. On the
      contrary, they believed that the Bible (and Paul) taught that
      slavery was part of God's plan for mankind. Those who wished to
      challenge the morality of slavery found that they had to challenge
      both the authority and the interpretation of scripture. They found
      also that it was not as easy as it might appear, for the biblical
      case for slavery was both strong and consistent.

      The biblical writers never contemplated a form of homosexuality in
      which loving, monogamous and faithful persons sought to live the
      implications of the gospel with as much fidelity to it as any
      heterosexual believer. All they knew of homosexuality was
      prostitution, pederasty, lasciviousness and exploitation. These
      vices, as we know, are not unknown among heterosexuals, and to
      define contemporary homosexuals only in these terms is a cultural
      slander of the highest order. Sexual orientation is never mentioned
      anywhere in the Bible.

      When you read the Bible, be careful of what you think you know.
      What you think you know powerfully influences what you read. We
      all think the text says more than what it says.

      The Quakers use the Bible in a powerful way to examine same-sex
      relationships. Their sentiment is somewhat similar to that which I
      expressed in an earlier post today. In a recent statement a Quaker
      group explains: "We believe that sexuality is governed by the same
      New Testament ethic that guides every other conduct choice for
      faithful Christians. Responsibility, mutuality, love, justice, non-
      violence, non-domination, and non-exploitation characterize what
      Jesus called the "Kingdom of God." How will sexual expression of
      love be judged? "By their fruits you shall know them." (Mt 7:20)
      Does this relationship create an environment of love and justice?
      Does it further the creation of loving and sustaining community?"

      In the final analysis, the authors of the few passages used to
      condemn homosexuality knew nothing about sexual orientation. They
      were fighting pagan idolatry, temple prostitution, reckless self-
      indulgence and irresponsible sexuality. They knew nothing about gay
      people living in committed relationships, who lead, normal,
      productive lives, and who cherish and honor their families. Yet we
      continue to perpetuate the same hurtful lies due to Scripture that
      has been mistranslated, misinterpreted and/or taken out of context.
      Too often we're intent on reading certain passages of Scripture in
      such as way as to lend legitimacy to our own doctrinal prejudices.
      We'd rather hold on to our own ideology then concede to the
      possibility than the Bible and the God who inspired it may be a
      little more gracious and inclusive than our doctrinal prejudices
      will allow.

      -Alex

      --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, DALE MALHENZIE
      <ssgdalbz@y...> wrote:
      > Alex, I am not acquainted with the meaning of the term sex ethic.
      I do find a verse that says in 1Tim 3:2 A bishop then must be the
      husband of one wife and later on even a deacon should be the husband
      of one wife. In ephesians it says that husbands should love their
      wives. That does sound like the kind of marriage that might include
      romance. I also know of a verse that talks about marrying if you
      cant maintain self control. The ref escapes me. It talks about not
      burning in desire but you should marry and yes society changes but
      what society does is of little importance to me right now. If my
      neighbor decides to jump off of Niagara Falls that doesn't mean that
      I will follow. I do struggle with staying off the porn sites and
      other behaviors as well but I also cant imagine leaving my wife
      because society deems it okay. I have seen too many mixed up kids.
      one tried to kill himself just cause his parents split up. gotta
      run. Dale

      > nyguy_1225 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:<<What I do find
      missing are the verses that say its okay to go have
      > sex outside of marriage. Can you find one? >>
      >
      > Hi Dale,
      > Good question! I'm tempted to turn that around back to you and
      say
      > what is missing from the Bible are verses that say one is never
      > allowed, under any circumstances, to be sexually intimate outside
      of
      > marriage. Can YOU find one?
      >
      > Let's not forget what "marriage" meant in ancient times. People
      in
      > biblical times did not share our knowledge or customs of
      sexuality;
      > we do not share their experience. In those days there was no
      > romantic dating as we know it today; marriages were arranged by
      > fathers. Romance, as we know it, did not come into being until
      the
      > Middle Ages, which is precisely why the period is referred to as
      > the "Romance Period." There were no marriage "licenses," no
      > ministers conducting "services," etc. Marriages were arranged by
      > parents for the modality of power. When a man married a woman,
      > a "price" was paid for the woman and she became the
      > man's "property." That's why to look at another man's wife and
      want
      > to sleep with her was akin to coveting your neighbor's property.
      It
> [...]
      experiences
      > that some of you may have not had. And I am sure you have had
      > experiences that I have not had. What I have not experienced is
      the
      > anti gay theology. I could have been an alcoholic or divorced or
      > some other category and recd worse. I have not met the same people
      > you guys have for sure but the ones I have met have been loving,
      > understanding, helpful, forgiving etc Christians who welcome
      anyone
      > with any problem. That is except for a certain church in Georgia
      > where not even blacks are welcom. I still haven't got over this
      and
      > it was over 25 years ago.
      > > What I do find missing are the verses that say its okay to go
      > have sex outside of marriage. can you find one? I would have been
      > better off physically if i had not done so. Maybe you cant relate
      > but I have been married to the same woman for 28 years. I haven't
      > met very many men that stayed with another man for anywhere that
      > long. Just once, they were cousins. They would have guys like me
      > over and want to have a threesome. I have met a lot who go from
      one
      > guy to the next, some married to a woman. There doesn't seem to be
      > any lasting fulfillment in these encounters. It sure wasn't to me
      > and then I met someone who gave me a virus. It didn't stop my
      desire
      > to meet men but it does make me wonder why I didn't quit before I
      > got it. I have no reason to smoke or drink. Neither are appealing
      > me. I also am to the point of fatigue and wondering what happens
      > next with my health. If I was wealthy enough I would try the
      clinic
      > that I heard of where you can go and be cleansed and eat all the
      > > right foods and feel better,perhaps.
      > > Thanks for the info about the magnifier. I wish it were that
      > simple. Its not that the print is too small. Its fuzzy. so if I
      > magnified it I would just have bigger fuzzy. Bigger is not always
      > better(I'm still human) dale
      > > nyguy_1225 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > > It took me a long time, Anthony. I was taught "antigay"
      theology
      > > just like everyone else. And I bought into it, hook, line and
      > > sinker, for many years. It took me a long time to see it had
      more
      > > holes than swiss cheese.
      > >
      > > -Alex
      > >
      > > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Venn-Brown -
      > > Personal Coach" <avb@m...> wrote:
      > > > Heaps of research Alex���..I know��but it takes a very clever
      > > manlike you
      > > > to take all that and condense it in such a way that dummies
      like
      > > me make
      > > > sense of it.
      > > >
      > > > Anthony Venn-Brown
      > > > Accredited Life & Business Coach (ACC ICF)
      > > > Author of 'A Life of Unlearning - Coming Out to the Church,
      One
      <http://www.anthonyvennbrown.com/book.html>
      > > > Doing all I can to inform, inspire and dispel the myths.

      Scripture
      > is
      > > > not only a matter of what is written there, but also what we
      > expect
      > > > to find there, what we bring to the text, and what we take
      away
      > > from
      > > > it.
      > > >
      > > > R.C. Sproul once said: "If God speaks, he must use words to do
      > so.
      > > > Words express thoughts, commands, descriptions, and the like.
      The
      > > > problem is that words and sentences must be interpreted if
      they
      > are
      > > > to be understood. It is far more than a matter of translation,
      > for
      > > > while translation gets at what God says, we are still left
      with
      > the
      > > > question of what God means."
      > > >
      > > > -Alex
      > > >
      > > > --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Venn-Brown -
      > > > description.

      One
      > > > Man's
      > http://www.anthonyvennbrown.com/book.html>

      This
      > is
      > homosexual

      NT,
      > so
      > > the "Old"
      > two
      > provides
      > > > misused
      > this
      > sake
      > > > of
      > give

      > shameful
      > unnatural
      > > with
      > committed
      > due

      > worshipped
      > > practices
      > > men
      > right
      > > self-
      All
      > > Paul
      > and
      > > he

      > practice
      > > > as
      > basic

      > homosexuality
      > > > use

      > was
      > Cults
      > > > of
      Society,
      > > > deliberate
      > asserts: "Sex
      > by
      > > > the
      > > > dedication
      > rare
      > Dionysus, a
      > male-

      > cults
      > > > of
      > Artemis
      > > of
      > themselves
      > > > and
      > priest
      > > > of
      > and

      > > Temple
      > > Cybele.
      > Fire:
      > > The
      > > and
      > > come
      > > > attire
      > can
      > Says
      > Aphrodite,
      > flagellations,
      > > all
      Goldberg
      > > gives
      > human
      > > then

      > said
      > describes
      > At
      > > young
      > give
      > > of
      > goddess.
      > > The
      > > > passion
      > pain,
      > spurting
      > goddess,
      > > besmeared
      > > upon
      Sacred
      > > Ring,
      > > > they
      > in
      > > > the
      > > rest
      > He
      > > Goldberg, "male

      > > beginning
      > > What
      > > for
      > another.
      > than
      > > it
      > of

      > > > sickening
      > > homosexuality
      > setting
      > > > up
      > at
      > pass
      > > > other,
      > the

      > We
      > > are
      > > says
      > we

      > our
      > > > gay
      > The
      > them
      > > do

      > homosexuality
      > > as
      > > HIV
      > > doesn't
      > > diseases,
      > love
      > > AIDS.

      > the
      TURNED

      http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129iagqr6/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
      > > > 76/D=gr

      oups/S=1705074683:HM/EXP=1094683209/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129j6d3c6/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
      > > 76/D=gr

      oups/S=1705074683:HM/EXP=1094690692/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http
      > > ://www.
      > > > netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>
      > > >

      > > > _____
      > > >
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > subject=Unsubscribe>

      > Terms
      > > of
      > > > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > Service.

      > Get unlimited calls to
      >
      > U.S./Canada

      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Bob Griffith
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 11, 2004
        Anthony -

        I do understand. Dale said that divorce is not an option he desires. If
        he chooses to stay married, then from a Christian viewpoint being faithful
        to the marriage vows is very important.

        Bob

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291o38rl/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr

        oups/S=1705074683:HM/EXP=1094914188/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp