Happy Anniversary “Ex-Ex-Gay Ministry” Group

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
      Happy 5th Anniversary to the "ex-ex-gay ministry" Yahoo group!

      This month the "ex-ex-gay ministry" Yahoo group celebrates its 5th
      anniversary. On Friday, Sept. 24, 1999, Norm, the founder,
      initiated this Group with the first post consisting of the following
      few words: "Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for the ex ex
      gay ministry community."

      The Group was started primarily to encourage thought and dialogue
      and to share experiences with other former "ex-gay" participants.

      Today, almost 3,200 posts and several hundred members later, the "ex
      ex gay ministry" group marks 5 years of providing hope,
      encouragement, teaching and fellowship to men and women seeking to
      integrate their faith and sexual orientation.

      Not very long ago, acknowledging one's homosexuality in public, let
      alone in church, was an insanely reckless thing to do. Gay people
      had reason to remain silent: they wanted to survive. Today, many
      people are identifying themselves as gay. The number of gay people
      has not grown, but our awareness has. Increasingly, gay people now
      have the support of each other, the love and support of many
      families and friends -- and even the support of their churches. The
      age of silence and invisibility is inexorably and undeniably passing
      away in our lifetime, before our very eyes.

      May your faith deepen as you find this a safe place to wrestle with,
      think through and dialog both intelligently and respectfully about
      this largest of all issues facing Christendom today.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
        Wow, I can't believe it's been five years. They've passed so
        quickly.

        You're right, Alex. Things have certainly changed in the last five
        years. Coincidentally, yesterday a friend and I shared our coming-
        out stories from closeted, fundamentalist Christians to openly gay,
        liberal Christians. We are certainly not the same people we were
        back then.

        I'm glad this group continues to help people reconcile their faith
        and sexuality. Hopefully, groups like this will not be required as
        churches become more accepting of GLBT members.

        Norm!

        --- In exexgayministry@yahoogroups.com, nyguy_1225 <no_reply@y...>